Recent trip to Paris

Welcome, great to see you!

For those who are traveling in Paris now, there is the Paris Cocktail Week 22 (7-14 March). Theme is Japanese spirit.

https://www.pariscocktailweek.fr/

1 Like

I’m going to send this BBQ link to my cousin in Paris, and see if he wants to join HO :slight_smile:
Welcome back, @onzieme!

Hmm…Barbecue Expo, I guess H might be interested, I’ll ask him as well. Thanks for the info.

How does one even do a bbq expo unless you want the entire expo hall to smell like smoked porcine goodness?

Where do they smoke the meat?

Interesting question. The website said there are indoor and outdoor shows. Indoor will focus on plancha cooking. It’s the first time, I believe, never heard of this expo.

I guess it makes sense to have an expo where people are unfamiliar with barbecue. I think I’ll skip it

Not sure I can agree. LOL! Every home that has a garden here, there is barbecue.

1 Like

Ah! A barbecue grill for steaks or chicken or fish for a cookout (the Northern definition), but not to make barbecue of the sort they sold at the Beast – pork shoulders and whole brisket (the Southern definition). I had presumed the expo is for the Southern definition.
While we were courting, my wife-to-be (from CT) asked me my favorite food. I said barbecue. She wasn’t sure what I was talking about. OF course, I didn’t know what a grinder was.

4 Likes

It gets worse in British English. As in:

"Would you like to come for lunch? We’re having a barbeque. I’m going to barbeque some steaks on the barbeque. "

This Canadian grew up calling the gas or charcoal BBQ a BBQ, and anything made on it was BBQed.

Sometimes we BBQed shish-kabobs on our Hibachi.

I didn’t have American smoky -type BBQ until a visit to Virgil’s in 1997. I’ve only had various regional American-style BBQ meats around 2 dozen times in my life.

Our trips to the States tend to be to the South. We plan restaurants, of course. And top of the list is always BBQ. It’s not just food, it’s culture.

1 Like

I like Southern food a lot, and have around 2 dozen regional cookbooks from the South, but Southern BBQ or any smoky BBQ isn’t at the top of my list :slight_smile:

Fried chicken, Coastal seafood dishes, Creole dishes, pecan pie, peaches, peach cobbler, Country Captain, Cuban food when I’m in Florida, are higher on my list, but to each their own :slight_smile: I won’t hijack this thread, beyond this. :rofl:

1 Like

The Beast is closed permanently, I guess because of your disapproval.
I’ve been to Melt Oberkampf, it was okay, but I’m not a connoisseur of Texan BBQ. Personally, I always find the sauce a bit too sweet to my liking.

1 Like

Yes, husband’s favourite bistrot, because of riz au lait, but since I succeed in hacking that and make something similar, we went less often. Funny story: husband went to restaurant to buy the rice pudding, restaurant was closed, he rang the bell and chef Stéphane Jégo opened the door and asked my husband if he was coming for an interview. Husband said no, just to buy the rice pudding. Jégo replied, oh you looked like a chef.

I believed for a few years, he was comfortable because he had a lot of tourist as clients. I read an interview few years before, that one day some people in the field told him that he was irrelevant in the French food scene as his place was only a tourist destination. Realizing that, he started to hire some professional to renovate the restaurant, renewed his website, participated in more food events. Recently, he is involved in having helping some refugees in setting up their kitchens.

If you are too packed in your travel schedule, you may consider to buy some bocals to bring home.

2 Likes

Ha! Oh, yes. Restaurants tremble a the mention of my name. Or perhaps it’s giggling.

I agree about TX sauces – too sweet. The best TX places don’t need any sauce. For rich, fatty meat you want a tart or sour flavor to balance – mustard or vinegar or, with Cuban pork, sour orange.

You made me Google that Riz au Lait.

1 Like

In case you want to make it. :yum:

2 Likes

Thanks @naf
Greek rizogalo looks very similar! Excellent version at the Breakfast Buffet at the St George Lycabettus Hotel, if you visit Athens!

1 Like

Rice pudding is a traditional British dessert. Cooked in the oven and served hot. The “great divide” is between Britons who eat the crispy skin that forms on the top (like me) and those who don’t.

That said, of late, we’ve prepared a Nigel Sl;ater version cooked on the hob and served cold, alongside some seasonal stewed fruit (plums work well in the autumn)

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: [French Food] Fish conserves