Recent Rice Fails

Ok… rinsed it today, and it came out perfect. So I can only come to the conclusion that as my rice aged (or got closer to the bottom of the bag), starch had significantly increased.

4 Likes

Good call.

Starch can make the rice stick like crazy.

I always rinse rice, I feel you get a better more fluffy rice out of it.

1 Like

Yeah, I think that is a a habit I will get into going forward.

1 Like

Ok… with some additional cooking I have come to the conclusion it is not about whether the rice is rinsed, but the amount of rice cooked. I usually do a cup of rice with 2 cups water, but that meant too much leftover.

With the rice that failed… it was 1/2 cup rice with 1 cup water. Rinsed or not, it stuck really badly to the bottom of the pan (even though every thing above it was perfectly cooked).

I am not sure what I need to do to make the smaller portion of rice without the sticky mess, but would welcome any suggestions.

1 Like

Oh yes. It may very well has to do with it. It does not necessary scale linearly especially at small amount and also on a stovetop top pan.

Smaller pot for less rapid evaporation. I often cook 1/4-1/2c rice, 2x water.

(I always rinse rice though - but now I’m wondering if there’s a traditionally rice-eating culture that does not…)

1 Like

use 1:2 parts rice:water by weight

make any qty you want.

I had the same happen. Turns out, I was a using a new ( to me) saucepan, same 2.5, but much taller and narrower. I make rice weekly, always comes out great. This turned out, but, like you, bunch stuck on the bottom. I wonder if, as it cooked, the weight of the hydrated rice must have caused this.

Ok… so your saying 100g (half cup) rice with 200g (.85 cup) water? And that 15% less water will prevent it from sticking??

Well my issue with sticking seems to only be with small quantities (half cup), so there’d be less weight than with larger quantities (1 cup)… so I am assuming that is not the problem.

works here -