recent manhattan chinatown bites

I love that place to death.

Mid June on better for me

Oh yes, I have been to Nan Xiang once before, and remember liking it. I went there more as an accident. It is next to or very near the parking structure. Like you, I only ate there at the older space.

I also like a street cheong fun stall at the edge of Manhattan Chinatown, but I think mine is not East Broadway. I think the one I like Sun Hing Lung Ho Fun.

To be fair, the Yin Ji I tried is not the one in NY. I tried Yin Ji in Los Angeles. I like it. I just donā€™t love it. I ate there like 3-4 times, so obviously I donā€™t hate it. We are talking about the famous Yin Ji which started in Canton, and then branching out, and won many China recognized awards?

1 Like

This right here.

edit: dang, I replied to the wrong person, sorry!

Sun Hing Lung Ho Fun is a block off of east broadway but Iā€™m pretty sure there were 2-3 stalls within a block of each other right on east broadway. Iā€™ll swing by Sun Hing Lung Ho Fun next time and then take a look for the places I tried. there was also a good cart on east broadway and it was often busier than the stores.

As for nan xiang, Iā€™ve been with my family dozens of times, typically on the way to or back from lga/jfk. we also enjoyed their beef rolls and some of the cold vegetable dishes were delicious.

my wife loves chinese food but has a hard time with the lack of decor in some of the flushing restaurants, no doubt still traumatized from when I dragged her to the now defunct flushing mallā€¦ so now, most of the time, we find ourselves stopping for KFC at mad for chicken but Iā€™m thinking I can probably get her back to Little Pepper, which, last we visited, was still very good.

best,

Sun Hing Lung is probably not amazing neither, but I just think it is cute to see them make the steamed rice noodle while I am standing there. As for Shanghai soup dumplings, I am sure it is just a personal preference. I like both Joeā€™s Shanghai and Supreme, and they are both good for different aspects. I think Joeā€™s Shanghai soup dumplingsā€™ skin/wrapping is thinner and the soup has more mouth feel (probably gelatin), and Supreme soup dumplingsā€™ skin is more intact, and the crab meat dumplings have crap meat flavor.

When you said Flushing Mall, do you mean that Golden Mall, which looked very run down, folding folding chairs, and cold in winter, hot in summer? Or do you mean a different place?

Anyone been to August Gatherings and Uncle Lou?

yeah, apologies, golden mall, the place with chengdu heaven, Tianjin Dumpling and xian. chengdu heaven was my favorite down there, a palpable sense of loss when they closed.

I had the same feeling about the rice roll shops, up to that point Iā€™d only had them as part of a dim sum service, cool to see them made in the steam trays.

btw, hak box has been on my list of places to tryā€¦

Iā€™ve been to august gatherings, not enough to form a real opinion. the roast duck was very good, in general not sure the dishes are worth the extra $ they charge. I passed by Uncle Louā€™s last night, very crowded, didnā€™t look at a menu but made a note to see whatā€™s what there.

have u been?

My SO (Fukienese, FWIW) thought Uncle Lou was OK, portions a bit small and prices a bit high, but prefers Cafe Hong Kong for that style of cooking. As @vinouspleasure notes, Uncle Lou is gonna be crowded for at least a few weeks after that Pete Wells raveā€¦

I like all the one you mentioned, but I think my favorite is the Tianjin Dumpling

It looks like a messy, but when looked closely, the kitchen area is clean, people and servers are nice. Have fun.

I loved bringing friends down there and getting dumplings from that stall. Iā€™m happy for her that she (Helen You - ā€œthe dumpling ladyā€) was able to build from this and open Dumpling Galaxy, etc.: https://www.dumplinggalaxynyc.com/locations
Much the same as the original Xiā€™an stall became a small empire.
The old Golden Mall was, wellā€¦ ā€œgoldenā€.

Yeah, I remember but never tried the dumpling galaxy yet. Thanks for the reminder.

Donā€™t rush. Dumpling Galaxy has been temporarily closed for a year or so. My last understanding was that the restaurant might reopen as early as September ā€“ September 2021 ā€“ but on my visits to the neighborhood, most recently Wednesday, Iā€™ve seen no movement in that direction.

In the meantime you can find dumplings and the like at Tian Jin Dumpling House (4141 Kissena; takeaway only), which was meant to hold the fort during Golden Mall renovations and HK mall upheaval but now stands as the sole survivor.

1 Like

one of the odd things about galaxy was that when tianjin was open, people seemed to dis galaxy even though it was by the same owner and ostensibly serving the same dumplings in a nicer space. Once tianjin closed, near universal love for galaxy. Maybe people liked the feeling of eating in the sort of hidden, insider golden mall or maybe it was a price point thing. anyhow, I never made it to galaxy either, preferring white bear and sifu chio though I do miss tianjinā€™s lamb dumplingsā€¦or maybe was it lamb and pumpkin.

fu run is gone too, I never cared for their famous muslim lamb chop but we did like a number of other dishes on their menu. I guess they are still open in great neck but weā€™re never there.

I mentioned upthread I like hk cafe, it was packed the other night when I was wandering around. their lunch menu is a steal and a couple of times when eating dinner on my own, they suggested I order from the lunch menu as portion size is overwhelming for one person. Honestly, itā€™s tough to finish a single lunch-size portion and I can eat quite a bit if the food is goodā€¦

I went to both places maybe 3 or 4 years ago and thought that the dumplings she was making at Galaxy had thinner skins and more filling. Quite a different environment as well, although I preferred the ā€œbasement dumpā€ feel of the stall.
Fu Run was definitely a favorite for many group meals but we went pretty regularly to Golden Palace on Cherry Ave as well. I believe (& may be wrong) that the owners of GP worked at Fu Run beforehand, but this goes back more than 10 years ago. It may not be what it was any longer but, based on lots of previous visits, I wouldā€™ve recommended GP over Fu Run/Ran anyway for the same stuffā€¦ including the cumin lamb. https://goldenpalacegourmetny.com. (Obviously, theyā€™ve modified their name to Golden Palace Gourmet)

That is me. I donā€™t think I diss galaxy, but I donā€™t see the point going there when I can go to the freezing cold basement and sit on a folding chair, and have a chat with the waiter and chef.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had it in Queens and Iā€™ve had it in Great Neck (except in GN, in deference to local sensibilities, it was called ā€œcumin lamb chopsā€ or some such). I was somewhat intrigued by both, but in both cases (although less so in GN) I tired fairly quickly of the full frontal assault of cumin. I can see it as part of a banquet, where itā€™s one of twenty dishes, but not as part of a sad solo meal where itā€™s one of two and youā€™re battling cumin all evening.

Yes, itā€™s my fault that I eat alone in NY ā€“ whereā€™s @SteveR when you most need him? ā€“ but themā€™s the sad facts of my life.

Thanks for this - will have to make a trip. I do prefer the skins thinner, but I strongly dislike delicate skins with a flavorless broth (Iā€™m thinking of DTF).

I did go back to Joeā€™s last fall after many years of using KungFu uptown as a substitute, and to me it really was a different product - very flavorful broth, medium skins with a bit of chew, very filling portion for the price - Iā€™ll be making more of an effort to get there going forward.

Itā€™s been many years since I last went to Nan Xiang, but it wasnā€™t worth the shlep to me - very good, just not worth the extra effort to get there from my part of Manhattan.

These are like the cheap streetside ones but better quality like Joeā€™s right? I always want to love them but Iā€™m never happy with the filling to noodle ratio because what I really wanted to eat was the dim sum version :joy:

Have you tried Kingā€™s? Iā€™ve only been once but they were lovely, and the ambience was a pleasant surprise.