recent manhattan chinatown bites

lol, I could barely communicate with the woman taking the orders and did once manage to mangle my order. I took my D there when she was 17 thinking a) she would enjoy the dumplings and b) communicate our order in chinese as she was a strong hs chinese language student and had participated in an exchange program.

she said “ok dad, what do you want?” I told her something like an order of lamb dumplings and she said in English “we’ll have an order of lamb dumplings” :slight_smile: and of course, it worked perfectly.

I read in Xian’s book that bourdain was down there at some point. I wonder if he tried all the stalls or just xian. one of my friends loved some of the less-travelled stalls, I really should have tried a couple more.

4 Likes

I read in Xian’s book that Bourdain was down there at some point.”
Yes, he was. One of the first times I was in Golden Mall, we (I think I was with Mr. EatingInTranslation) passed the original (& only, at that point) Xi’an stall and Bourdain’s picture with the owner was tacked up on the wall & he (the father) yelled at us “Bourdain, Bourdain” as we were walking, trying to beckon us in. As I remember it, it worked and I enjoyed my first “lamb sandwich” before going around to the dumpling stand.

2 Likes

Well, to your daugther’s defense, you did not tell her to order in Chinese, did you?

1 Like

Interesting, okay. Good to know.

I had been under the impression people weren’t seeking out Joe’s XLB as much lately.

Will have to get an order next time I visit, for old time’s sake.

Yes, the street version, but having some basic seating and a roof. The quality is not as nice as most Dim Sum vision. For the street rice noodle roll (cheung fun), the fillings are not properly rolled in and sometime simply outside, and the rice wrapping is almost always broken. Here are two photos from Yin Ji, swimming in soy sauce, the rice noodle wrapping is sort of folded as one big roll (instead of 3-4 individual proper rolls):

Here is a random photo:

I think this is why I like Yin Ji, but not love it. If I want well made steamed rice noodle roll (cheung fun), then most the Dim Sum restaurants do a better job. If I want that street and food truck atmosphere and conversation with the staffs and other customers, then Yin Ji does not offer that neither. That is just me.

3 Likes

Pre-pandemic, but here was my assessment and comparison.

1 Like

What I liked about King’s was the quality, ratio of filling to noodle, and texture of noodle.

Also the range of options vs usual dim sum 2-3 (beef, shrimp, maybe roast pork, maybe the fried dough or fried shrimp, but not often more than a couple of those at the same place).

I did like the thinness of the crepe at Joe’s Steamroll, but the fillings/toppings are not my thing. They’re just different dishes to me at the end of the day, but having the same name makes us feel the need to compare them directly!

1 Like

I did like the thinness of the crepe at Joe’s Steamroll, but the fillings/toppings are not my thing. They’re just different dishes to me at the end of the day, but having the same name makes us feel the need to compare them directly!

fair point, I’d never try to compare a neopolitan pizza with a street slice…

2 Likes

I cannot claim any expertise regarding XLB’s, but before we went to Joe’s Shanghai, I never understood what the attraction of having crab in the dumpling was… At Joe’s we understood it.

I like crab meat pork soup dumplings and i also like Joe Shanghai. However I feel Supreme crab and pork meat soup dumplings are better. Again, i am sure everyone preference is slightly different

2 Likes

I remember that visit. I think his come-on might have worked on me, too.

I just looked up Supreme and discovered that it’s a reopened version of the old Shanghai Dumpling. That was where we first had XLBs, and liked them. When we discovered Joe’s, we liked that version better. Next time we’re in New York we’ll definitely have to try the Supreme dumplings.

Well this thread got me motivated to get out of the office today and pick up lunch from Little Kung Fu. Got pork and pork and crab XLB. Doing side by side taste test I prefer the plain pork. Doesn’t feel like the crab added much other than an extra $1. I am stuffed. 6 not enough 12 too many.

4 Likes

I think that is my challenge in many XLB restaurants. In most places, the addition of crab meat is too faint for me to notice. However, in a few places, the crab meat is a lot more distinctive. I don’t know if it is simply the portion of more crab meat or the type of crab or just plain luck. However, I know exactly what you are talking about.

Just to be clear. I like most Shanghai soup dumplings (XLB) places. I may like one place a little more than another place, but I like many restaurants. Joe’s Shanghai, Supreme in Manhattan, and Nan Xiang at Flushing are all excellent to me.

2 Likes

I usually get an order of dumplings and an order of cucumber salad or gai lan- seems to be the right amount for me.

Just came back from Yin Ji. It is ok, but I don’t think it is good enough for me to keep going back much on my own.

This is the “R4 Shrimp with Chives Rice Noodle Roll 韭黃鮮蝦腸粉韭黃鮮蝦腸粉” for $8.50. It is not bad, but it is more expensive than typical Dim Sum rice noodle roll by a good margin and it does not taste better.

2 Likes

after dim sum yesterday, stopped by tai pan bakery for a dan tat and a Portuguese tart, very good crust, custard was flaky and delicious but the dan tat lacked the egginess I usually associate with the pasty…or maybe I was just so full from dim sum that my palate lacked nuance. Likewise, the portugese tart was good but flavor didn’t measure up to their usual standard.

In flushing, I think tai pan dan tat> flushing bakery but flushing bakery portugese tart > tai pan…In any case, both bakeries are my last stops before leaving flushing.

1 Like

On I remember Tai Pan. I like it. That being said, Manhattan Chinatown does not have bad egg tart. Every stores are ranging from good to very good.

1 Like

I like this one. Harper’s Bread House. But again, everything is pretty good in Manhattan for egg tarts.

1 Like

I like harpers too, sun sai gai was also a favorite but sadly they no longer make baked goods.