recent manhattan chinatown bites

Monday, June 27 might be difficult for me at dinnertime. Tuesday is good for either lunch or dinner. The other Chinatown restaurant that quickly comes to mind for a gathering is Uncle Lou, on Mulberry St. (I haven’t been), but it’s closed on Tuesday. Maybe we can consider it for an encore get-together.

I would love to go, and I am around that week. It will depend on how well my new hip is doing in a few weeks - it’s five days old today!

To be clear, this is indoors, right? (Don’t worry; no judgments will be stated, but I won’t come if it’s indoors.)

Looks like Dave Cook, Saregama & I are all in for Wu’s for dinner on Tues, June 28, with small_h (fully recovered no doubt) making it 4. Its 99% that it’ll be indoors, as that’s where the round group tables are & I believe that the service, etc is much better (sorry, Pan). We’re gonna try to cap this group at 8, but I guess we could go a little higher if needed. So… start responding if you’re available & interested. It’ll be nice to do some face to face stuff.

Unfortunately, you’re right.

New thread created to organize this meal:

Please post there if you’re interested.
(fooddabbler: next time)

i’m in!

2 Likes

Best of luck! My girlfriend’s mother had both her hips replaced over 15 years ago, is in her 80s, and walks an hour every day!

Great. But you get reprimanded for responding on the wrong thread :roll_eyes:. Are you back in NYC yet?

Thanks! I’m up to 20:00. Or I was - yesterday I tore my iliopsoas and THAT’S a delight, lemme tell you. At least the implant is fine.

Oy!

That was pretty much my reaction! Only a lot louder, and with more writhing.

1 Like

I wish you a speedy, complete recovery!

Thank you! I am much better today. Concentrating on not doing anything else to myself.

1 Like

Definitely my favorite XLB. Have not been to Nan Xiang however.

maybe dave will include Nan Xiang on the flushing crawl, kung fu is probably a little out of the way for what he has in mind…

I would have no complaints at all! Our Air BnB is very close to Kung Fu. I am sure we will stop there more than one time.

BF asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday. I said to eat dumplings in Chinatown. So here we are at New Shanghai. There’s also scallion pancakes, bamboo shoots in brown sauce (the real winner here), and Tsingtao.

Probably should have perused this thread beforehand. We enjoyed what we ordered, though we’ve had better.

4 Likes

agree or disagree, at least he’s consolidated some info :joy:

Waiting for a rice roll list :thinking:

1 Like

Banh Mi (and a bit more) wander through Manhattan Chinatown today. Didn’t make to a few planned spots, but added others so I guess it averaged out.

Saigon Viet Sandwich Deli
Banh Mi Saigon
Banh Mi Co Ut
Malaysia Beef Jerky
Golden Steamer Bakery
Wong Sun Hing Lung
Double Crispy Bakery
Street vendor CNY sweets
Deluxe
Mott St Eatery
Tai Pan Bakery

@vinouspleasure @JenKalb @DaveCook