Raw Milk. Do you believe in Raw Milk?

Nothing surprises me when alcohol is involved! Not that there’s anything wrong with that!

1 Like

“Humans were drinking milk before they could digest it.
Study of ancient Africans suggests dairy consumption predated evolution of lactase persistence genes”

I can buy sheep’s milk from a local-ish fairy. I like it but it’s awfully pricey

Probably drink the sheep milk as a treat then. Is it like3-4 times more expensive than cattle milk?

I anticipated at least one Meet the Parents reference.

2 Likes

13 posts were split to a new topic: Plant milks / juice, how do you like them?

1 Like

My guess is that you are noticing the difference between homogenized and non-homogenized rather than raw and Pasteurized.

1 Like

Sheep have a natural stink. Makes for good cheese.

Buffalo mozz is amazing.

2 Likes

Okay, I’ll go. “I have nipples, Greg, can you milk me?”

1 Like

I have yet to try the milk or the cheese; but I was in the barn when a local farmer showed me the cute little bulk tank. I thought it smelled a little different. Little funk. That’s why I thought cheese right away.

1 Like

Lolololol

DeNiro is perfect for the part. There is no move that makes you feel so uncomfortable.

I think we’ll see goat milk come down a hair. More people are producing it.

I have had goat milk (brand is Meyenburg) available in my local grocer for years, but it’s all homo and UHT. It’s pretty good (and for some reason doesn’t bugger me the way cow’s milk does). It’s about $5/quart here (not anywhere near as cheap as In Greg’s Wonderland Of Dairy Stuff).

I’d be happy to find some that’s just regular Pasteurized and not homogenized (I mean, shit, I don’t mind shaking it!).

1 Like

LOL! Right. Maybe I’ll give goat a sip or two. My dad was raised on it. I save money by buying ends from the cheese factory. Lots of times goat cheese is all that’s there. I don’t care. Has a little twang I like. Goat gouda turns out pretty well. Muenster’s not too shabby, either.

2 Likes

Dude, from all you’ve said, you are living in a meat and dairy paradise! Compared to the rest of us.

Yeah, but if I want a Popeye’s chicken samich, it’s a 2 hour drive. The one thing I really miss is my old Italian bakery back in the city. Paradise? To me, yes. But I doubt most on here would appreciate the big slow down that comes with rural living. It’s what I was looking for. Not everyone aspires to make less money, deal with animals all the time, pee outside, being expected to help neighbors with chores, among other things. Not everyone likes a place where it seems everyone knows everyone. Wrong numbers turn into half hour conversations. Anyone who comes to visit is invited to open a door to your house and yell “anybody home!.” Never locking doors was hard for my wife to acclimate to. Where we lived you locked everything up. Here, they get mad if you don’t leave your car key under your floormat. Our kids have lockers; but very few use the locks.

There was a period of growth before we felt we were “in.” Big action, though, I was witness to an Amish hit and run, once. Live action!

2 Likes

Sheet, Greg - I have all that stuff you’re missing. Fast Foodies stuff not to mention bakeries galore (even Korean bakeries, Wonderland Stuff).

I’d trade it all for what you got.

Yesseri

Let me know if you need the hookup. I came here for lack of convenience. Not everybody wants to run their garbage to the dump once a week. I look forward to it. Always run into friends at the dump. During hunting season, many a hunter will bring his kill to the dump to show off. Not everyone would feel comfortable walking up to an Amish home to buy bulk spices and such. Many on here have said cash should die. Hell no. It’s the only medium, besides trade, that works in the community. Get used to spending cash. Hurts my airline miles. Many can walk to where they shop, eat, etc. Not here. BUT, many more grow/make/raise their own foods. A lot of my frien ds and coworkers will raise one or two head of beef, some chickens, a pig or two, lamb or two, along with mega gardens, canning. You know the rest. Very inconvenient living. I will die here, I love it so much. But, my friends from MIlwaukee come to visit all the time, and love it. Not enough to leave their bigger salaries, short drives, amenities, garbage pickup, and all that.

I love all that stuff. Just wish we had decent Italian bread, or anything crusty out, soft in. I like to make my own when I have time. I’m also trying to curtail a bread addiction, so that a good thing. Mind you, the Amish are great bakers, but they prefer the sift breads. Man, I need some crust!

I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I also understand why many would prefer urban/suburban life.

Since you make less money, you make do with more money savings. I heat with wood (so, making wood is a hobby of mine.) I make probably 3 full cords per year, then buy another 3 or three in slab wood from an Amish mill that’s kickin’ out a ton right now. White oak. :). I shop Amish and local. I buy cheese at $2.50/lb. Lamb ran $3.60/lb last year. But you have to buy the whole or half. You run to your freezer more than you run to stores. Shop the Amish produce auction and save big on damn near anything. Saplings, vegetables, chickens, mushrooms, all goodies.

My egg producer right now sells the browns for $5 for 36 eggs.

Once you get to know who raises what and who to talk to , you’re good. Just took me 23 years to figure it all out. Still learning.

If I moved, though, I would miss : good manners, not much road rage here, stop and talk to anyone, even kids have good manners ( the real social lubricant), slow down and make time for friends, family and neighbors. This is what has become of me, and I’m a contented person.

3 Likes