Quick and Dirty HOdown Lunch Friday 8/17 in Asbury Park

My thoughts exactly. I didn’t really want to say much before you went. Food is good but it’s kind of expensive. 13 and change for a smaller cheese steak

2 Likes

Interestingly enough, the culinary highlight of the trip was when we all went to Purple Glaze donuts near the corner of Emory St and Summerfield Ave afterwards. No pics but there are plenty on their site:

http://www.purpleglazedonuts.com/

1 Like

Did you guys have the old bay fries? I like those!

1 Like

They only had a regular fries option at lunch and they were not very good and too salty. Overall I’d say their sides were the weakest part of the meal.

It was definitely underwhelming. The sandwiches were ok but nothing worth finding parking for. The pickle chicken was unique but not something I’d go back for. The cheesesteak was ok but not in the top 10 of cheesesteaks I’ve had.

1 Like

For 8 or 9 bucks the cheese steak would be a good call. For 13 and change, it’s overpriced.

All I can say is I prefer the food to be the highlight of the meal, in this case the company far surpassed the quality of the food.

1 Like

Did you do one or two subs? I know I could do two of those and you surely could too lol

We shared 2 chicken sandwiches and the whole cheesesteaks, I could have eaten more but we decided to call it quits and got some donuts. Those were good but a true pure sugar rush.

I don’t doubt any of your reports, but when I see things like this I wonder if you ordered wrong…

1 Like

They did not have wahoo on the menu for our trip there or I would have been all over that. As the matter of fact I’m going to call them now to see if they have it, if so I’m picking up a few for the beach.

1 Like

For the record, I’ve only eaten there/from there a few times, but I always think it’s fresh and worth the $. These specialty sandwiches always sound amazing, though! Do report in later!

1 Like

Seriously @CurlzNJ , there was nothing that looked like that obviously primped up sandwich when we were there. I wish there was. I looked at a lot of plates and nothing was bursting out of the buns begging to be eaten.

That’s a sandwich made especially for Instagram :slightly_smiling_face: It’s not made for public consumption :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Well here is the sandwich made for public consumption and I will attest it’s one hell of a sandwich. Wahoo is my all time favorite fish and is indigenous to warm water, it’s very common in Aruba. As someone who has vacationed in Aruba annually for the past 25 years I have grown to love whahoo and this sandwich does it justice. Far better than the two offerings we had for the dirty HO-down, but at $15 a sandwich I have a hard time encouraging someone who isn’t already a fan to try it.

I was far more impressed before my wife reminded me Wegmans started carrying frozen whahoo about 6 mos ago.

Anyway here it is:

4 Likes

Did it come with those fries at least for $15?

Gotta admit it looks almost like the instagram pic.

1 Like

Yes like our lunch fries, chips or slaw, I asked for all 3.

1 Like

REALLY glad to see and hear that! I knooow that the owner really hustles and takes pride in what he offers, so I’m glad it didn’t disappoint.

1 Like