Posting recipes and finding them...

Good! When can we have that? :yum::grin:

Here it is:
https://www.hungryonion.org/c/cooking/recipes

The question is, how do we organize the recipes? If there are quite a few eventually, i think we need some sort of index.

I really think that every recipe type should have its own thread. So, for example, if I post my Ciabatta formula, it gets a thread. If there are then 10 threads of fermented/yeast bread recipes, then we can create a sub-forum for fermented/yeast bread recipes. If there are a huge number pf quick bread recipes, same thing.

Thoughts?

I made a suggestion upthread to organise, at least initially, by way of sub-sub-forums for each category of recipe, so all the desserts would go in one sub forum, etc.

1 Like

This will be even better, neat and easier to find information.

I have just relink a recipe from WFD to see for the time being it works well or not. It seems that the recipe URL does not have a preview with a photo like the post below). Can we fix this? (See the post, the recipe is just a blue link without preview). Thanks.

Not sure how this can be fixed, however. the software decides to do its own thing. Taking away the s in https:// seems to do the trick if that helps.

I think the software only allows down to sub-categories but no further. Since recipes is already a sub-categories, I think we may need some different and better organization methods.

Well, we can do it by regions (like Italian vs French vs Chinese vs Japanese). Or we can categorize by techniques, like baking, fry pan, stew… Let’s see what we get first. I think that will tell us how to best categorize them.

Or have several sub-categories , eg “Recipes - Desserts”, etc

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. Basically, have Recipe on a higher level, so Recipe is not under anything else.

However, maybe it is simpler just to keep it this way for now until we have more recipes.

I think you’re probably right - although I doubt if we’d want to get to the stage of there being loads of recipes for the mods to sort out into categories.

A question for naf (as it was her idea) - do you think you need to further define the nature of the sub-forum? Is it intended to be a follow-up to a What’s for Dinner post, or it’s open to anyone to post a recipe they are interested in posting? In either event, there needs to be guidance about the level of detail - I recall when I regularly contributed to WFD, I’d rarely mention quantities or technique - but I think with this posts need to be written as though it was a cookbook - full list of ingredients and full details of method

I think a sub categories system will be needed once we have more recipes.

I have been thinking of going through older threads to reference recipes that are lost especially in the WFD threads.

I think it is interesting to use sub-categories in the title for the time being, for example:
Recipe-Meat-Italian, Recipe-Dessert-American etc.
or classified under cooking methods, like
Recipe-Fermentation-Korean, Recipe-Sous-vide, Recipe-Stew-English or Recipe-Soup-Chinese

Too bad that this software doesn’t have Tags, this can be useful for classification.

Very good questions.

I don’t think we should limit the recipes section only for WFD post. There are other threads like Dish of the Month or Cuisine of the Quarter or any threads that members post their recipes.

On the other hand, some HOers have post links to external website for more difficult to find or “rare” recipes, I think we should keep them referenced in the recipes section as well. (See the latest post by the Librarian). But these types of recipes should be just a link, should not copy and paste in HO because of copyright issues.

Agree! I think the most basic way is to have sections including:
Ingredients, Methods, Serving Sizes

I think that’s way too specific. Even cookbooks don’t get that detailed.

For example, if I posted a recipe for Chicken Manchurian, which is an Indo-Chinese recipe, I’d be forced to choose Recipe-Meat-Indian or Recipe-Meat-Chinese. It’s actually a fusion dish, so where would I place it? Or if you go by cooking method, if something is fried, and then braised, where would I put it?

I think you are better off keeping generic categories – Appetizers, Mains, Sides/Salads/Soups, and Desserts.

There is a bit of misunderstanding here. There are no categories folders (for the time being), we are not allowed to create sub-sub folders because the limitation of the forum software, so everything will be in the title.

Keeping things in the generic categories is fine for me though.

1 Like

It does. I just enabled it. The staff can play around with it and see how well (or not) it works when it comes to tag creation, tagging, searching the tags.

Just did a test, what do you think of it?

Is there a way to restrict tags to only the Recipe category? It gets a bit confusing for other categories.

I found this guide.

I did create a recipe and a cuisine category as a big header, but they needs to include the tag “recipe” and “cuisine” every time if want to be more tidy in the back office.