Porta , Asbury Park

True that but the crowd/cars would have warned me well ahead of walking in. I like grilled octopus but I know I will enjoy it more on a less crowded hour. Then again sometimes you just cave and try to make it work.

1 Like

You mean free pie doesn’t draw a large busy crowd?

Because it is possible to work in hospitality and be completely clueless. A customer that walks away teaches very little.

2 Likes

Honestly, my exposure to Johnny Mac’s has only been on Sunday’s for their “brunch”. $3.00 mimosa or bloody mary, legit pour of booze and with every drink you get a FREE omelette. (I swear to God a fresh made omelette that would rival an omelette from Molly Pitcher brunch). That goes till about noon then at 1pm the pizza starts, free personal pie with a regular priced drink, toppings are just $1.00 per. My first time there I fully expected the 1/3 rectangle slice from a frozen ellios pizza, but they have a real pizza guy who takes out a small ball of dough, kneads it, puts sauce and cheese and into the brick oven it goes. Have I mentioned it’s FREE???

Let me tell you, nothing goes better after a dozen bloody mary’s and a dozen omelets (yes I did this one time) than a free pizza with a martini to wash it all down!! Oh-oh-oh…let’s not forget the free unlimited candy stash if you can find it’s hidden location!!!

Johnny Mac’s is an unapologetic bar…they will do everything and anything to get asses in the seats and I truthfully respect that. I’ll be the first to admit I’ll throw a $100 on a steak to cook at home any day of the week, but to go to Porta and pay $10-$12 bucks for a drink AND $10-15 for a pie vs. $5.-$10. max for a drink at Johnny Mac’s with a free pie, I can’t justify going to Porta. lol Sorry.

So to answer your original question by 10am when I usually get there for the brunch there isn’t much of a crowd, by 1pm when it’s ending it does start to fill up, by 1-2pm when the pizza starts and I’m a dozen bloody mary’s in, I don’t remember if it was crowded or not!!

3 Likes

That’s some crazy love, Jr! I have been there and its a fun joint, decent food and crowded because of all the good things you said about it. All true. But, I wouldnt even bother comparing the two restaurants.

Know this, I’m not a big meal kinda guy, free and super sized portions dont get me in the seat but certainly would for a group in my tribe.

Focusing on seals exp, I hope your next trip to Porta is better.

3 Likes

I should add, I probably only go there 2 or 3x’s a year. lol I"m way to old to handle days like that anymore, and if I do go it has to be a holiday weekend because I won’t be functioning too well on Monday. Hey, isn’t this a holiday weekend !?1?1?1?1?!?

3 Likes

That’s true. A good point but it also then puts more burden on the customer to contact the restaurant again.

I need to weigh back in here. For me, the key to a successful restaurant is consistency. I go the first time to be surprised. I return because I expect things will be the same. And, for a restaurant that was once touted as “best pizza in the US”, I expect it even more.

True, if you are in the know, and you ask for some honey to dab on Porta’s 14 and a half pie, it is a very good pizza. But since Rosie’s opened up in Point Pleasant, my last few pies at Porta have not even been the best in our area anymore.

As for service and FOH issues, it is not on me. I shouldn’t have to beg and yell for what the FOH promised me and I shouldn’t have to waste my time getting them to improve. If you tell me that I will have a table in 75 minutes or less and I choose to agree to that and wait, then I better have a table after the 75 minutes are up. No muss no fuss. Too much of both last night.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve got to agree with you here. That’s what frustrates me so much about my all time favorite restaurant (locally) The Raven and Peach in Fair Haven. I truly love this restaurant and have so many memories here, but I can’t stand going more than a couple times a year. I could LIVE here if they had any consistency but sadly they don’t, and it breaks my heart to go there and consistently be disappointed. (mostly with service rarely if ever food)

2 Likes

I just want to recognize and compliment the stellar decision making by @seal. Rather than standing in the hot sun listening to his nephew he “volunteered” to go sit inside Porta at the bar to wait for the table.

Despite the difficulties that arose with the table being ready this was a very smart decision he made.

4 Likes

I don’t see calling the restaurant as a burden. It’s unfortunate its needed but I believe in communication.

1 Like

I went through this yesterday as I tried to plan a family lunch st a Marriott resort in FL (no, I’m not paying!)…1st email to the head of dining bounces back as undeliverable/no user with that name. I forward that trail to the catering contact and get an out of office—she’s on maternity leave. These are the 2 email addresses posted on their website. I called and got the GM’s email and asked if he’d have someone contact me. It’s been almost 24 hours now… I won’t beg to do business there, but the guy paying the bill is a Platinum member so he’d prefer to spend there if he can. We’ll see…

I’ve said it before and will repeat myself—I know many chefs and restaurant owners and I know it’s a tough business, but if you can’t get the basics of hospitality down, that’s a major problem.

6 Likes

There should be a number just for platinum members and I have found calling the main reservation desk to let them know Im getting nowhere On my own results in an interoffice email up the chain at my request.

That’s my next move… thx

2 Likes

Interesting, very interesting. 24 private security guards - AND - 6 off duty police? Really? Sounds like a bit of over kill if you ask me. Has there been a history of fighting there? As much as I’m not a fan of Porta I never got the impression they were a nuisance to the community, no more so than any of the other restaurants and bars. I’m far less surprised to see my beloved Johnny Mac’s on there since it is by far more a bar/tavern than Porta. As I said…very interesting.

With that much police presence the late night crowds are going to venture to a venue with a little less attention being paid to it, and the family / social eaters drinkers might fear getting caught up being in the wrong place at the wrong time. (In my experience restrictions like this is the first sign of the beginning of the end)

1 Like

As someone noted above, the experience at Porta depends on what time you’re there; I’ve only been there once after 9:30pm, and that’s because we sat at the bar late to get dinner about an hour before they changed over to ‘club’ mode. I stay far away past 9pm because there’s a) a limited menu–maybe pizza only after then and b) the place is SWARMING with 20-somethings from the suburbs on those ‘club’ nights. The line literally goes around the block, and they always have security guards on the weekends to control the bruhs and overly-dressed/made up girls. It’s like it’s a different place altogether, and the night I was there late my friend went out to add $ to the meter (app wasn’t working) and it took her 20 mins to get back in after convincing them she wasn’t trying to jump the line. The funniest part for us is the DJ was playing remixes of all of OUR music (we’s not 20-somethings any more)… :slight_smile:

ETA that I don’t go to Porta more than 1-2 times in the summer because it’s simply INSANE in there–at the bar, outside space, or indoors. The problem is that it’s one of the only good options near the boardwalk, and truly THE best option if you want to sit and have a meal (vs. MOGO, which I love, but that’s a grab-a-bench-for-10-minutes meal). I’m told that High Voltage (on the boards) has good food, but it’s a limited menu and they’re often sold out of food by mid-afternoon–then they’re primarily good for coffee/snacks.

2 Likes

So 30 security guards? Wtf? I’ve driven by that place on crowded nights and there is no way you would need half that…not even a single Patrick swayze
…maybe half a swaze. I can assure you the hells angels arent showing up to porta.

1 Like

Local governmental bodies (especially in NJ) are not well know for their expertise or common sense. Sounds punitive to me. They just like to “govern” whether it’s needed or not. Where (and how) do you think all our tax dollars go?

I’ll bite. Who is your nephew?

1 Like