Port Costa CA

Funny story. Bull Valley was the final straw for me and that other food website that starts with a C. I wrote up a nice meal we had there, and disclosed that one of the people I was with was “known to the house”, and that could have accounted for the better service and what not.

That website removed my posting and rebuked me. I replied that I could have not told in my review the detail, and their policy meant that people would simply lie. They simply disagreed, and they seemed to believe that they wanted their website to appear to be “of the people” even if it meant lying.

Rebukes for telling the truth bug me, and seeing the underbelly of the reviewing world, just left a terrible taste in my mouth.

It was a wonderful meal, a great afternoon after a pleasant hike up in Briones, and I’ve always liked the port costa vibe.

9 Likes

@bbulkow I saw your post about that!

1 Like

On Wednesday nights, Bull Valley Roadhouse turns into The Dram Shop. The bar and back patio is open. Food and cocktails rotate weekly, and often there are guest bartenders and food pop ups. It’s hard for me to make it over there on a Wednesday night, but the few times I’ve made the trek it was well worth it. Unless you go on one of the theme nights or the times when they bus people over from Oakland, it’s mellow and easy to find a seat.

3 Likes

There’s still a population in the bay system. A “slot” limit is in place to protect the brood stock. The slot is something like 42” to 60”. Any fish outside the slot must be returned. Only barbless hooks, one per line.

Some lucky skillful fisherman cranked up this monster a few yards down the pier from me.

We buy live farmed sturgeon from our favorite fishmonger in SF Chinatown. Nice firm meat. The head makes great congee.

3 Likes

As my Russian Jewish grandfather said “It takes no urgin’ to eat sturgeon”.

3 Likes

My ex’s grandparents came from Prussia. They went from Brooklyn to Des Moines to Omaha.
And gave up meat cutting for haberdashery.
:slight_smile:
Morris Men’s Wear.

I went around Christmas but need to find pictures.

We drove through there last Sunday, as part of a general drive around East CC county. Even on a chilly, damp day, the little center of town looked pretty full with daytrippers. Am assuming that reservations for Bull Valley are required.

We always have reservations. On December 28th we were seated in a section we’d never seen before.

Older pics

5 Likes

We went two weeks ago and decided not to mention it… We hoped it was a re-opening glitch. Husband was considering another chance for Father’s day and found this.

Dear Friends and Patrons,
The Bull Valley Roadhouse is taking an extended pause to allow for a company reorganization and a fresh reset for the restaurant. We hope to accomplish all that’s necessary within the next three to six months! Please keep up with us at bullvalleyroadhouse.com where we will post our progress and our expected reopening date. Thank you all for your love, support, and patronage over the last eight and a half years. Without you, we would not be here, and we look forward to seeing your smiling faces on the other side of this temporary resetting! Yours, —Owners and Partners of the Bull Valley Roadhouse

3 Likes

Looks like Bull Valley Roadhouse re-opened!

3 Likes