Poached Eggs

I have an olive oil mister that I use to spritz the inside of the pod before adding the egg. I also run a butter knife under the egg to free it post-poach and invert the pod over a spatula so that I can serve the egg round side up.

I was as despairing as you before I figured all this out.

1 Like

I did add oil, but maybe not enough.

Small saute pan, barely simmering water, 3-4 minutes. I ā€œbasteā€ it with a little of the hot water a couple of times and remove with a slotted spoon. Perfect. Now if TJs would go back to selling refrigerated hollandaise all would be wonderful. I stopped ordering eggs benedict at restaurants because they all use powdered hollandaise mix.

3 Likes

Many chains use powdered Hollandaise mix where I live, but most French restaurants, hotel restaurants and independent restaurants that serve brunch make a proper Hollandaise where I live.

Part of my brunch thing is comparing the Bennies and the Hollandaise around town. ( I also compare the Huevos Rancheros and Breakfast sandwiches)

Sisters & Co on Dundas W in Toronto makes a nice Hollandaise, as does CafƩ Boulud inside the Four Seasons in Toronto (but that one is overpriced :yum:)

One brunch dish I had last year: Scotch eggs drizzled with Hollandaise, at the House on Parliament pub in Toronto. Mediocre Hollandaise, but nice idea for dressing up a Scotch Egg for a brunch main!

I avoid chain restaurants like the plague. There is one French restaurant in town that I can think of and I very, very rarely go out for brunch. If Iā€™m going out for breakfast (also rare) itā€™s to a small local joint that uses mix since itā€™s so hard to keep at proper temp for health inspectors. Much cheaper and faster to use the mix and dump it before needing another batch. If Iā€™m really jonesing for Hollandaise Iā€™ll make it myself at home.

1 Like

I only started making Hollandaise when I was locked down, in 2020.

I had always ordered it as a restaurant treat before March 2020. Bennies for brunch once or twice a month for the past 25 years :rofl:.

Iā€™ve only had the powdered mix maybe 5 times- memorably at a Perkins in Kelowna in 2004, when I was a bridesmaid. Thatā€™s the first time I had Hollandaise from a mix.

Iā€™ve had takeout Bennies 3 or 4 times over the past 27 months, which usually have the Hollandaise packaged separately, to pour over the eggs before eating , and a couple greasy spoons use the mix. I donā€™t bother ordering Bennies again from them if theyā€™ve done that.

Quick, easy, one pan Hollandaiseā€¦

Really delicious, and if youā€™re really in a hurry you can skip the shallot and just use wine or water and put it together in under 3 minutes.

4 Likes

Because it is such a standby in our kitchen, I will repost my favorite Hollandaise alternative. Essentially, a creme fraiche/butter sauce that takes about 3 minutes.

Bring several tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream to a simmer. Add a flavor element. For Hollandaise-esque, i use mashed preserved Meyer lemon. Mix in well, then whisk in about twice as much butter as creme fraiche, or as much as it will take before breaking. Done.

Swap out lemon for mint, tarragon, basil, curry, your fave. Enjoy on eggs, fish, chicken, veg.

7 Likes

A two minute sauce that starts with boiling shallots for five minutes :thinking: I might try it but it needs much more lemon and thickening. Also, she says 2 yolks but it looks like there are 3 in the bowl.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll hafta give that method a shot some time!

I agree that this sauce would be delicious but believe shallots better suited to stronger flavored sauces like Bearnaise. But her method in general works. Mine is even simpler, if not more classic.

Put a whole egg and several tablespoons of water in a very small, preferably heavy, pan. Whisk until blended. Put over very low heat and continue whisking until it starts to thicken a bit, then and immediately start adding chunks of butter, whisking each in until absorbed. One egg will take close to a cube of butter. Remove from heat as soon as sauce is thickened and add lemon juice to taste plus a pinch of red pepper flakes or powder. Takes longer to type than to make.

5 Likes

Since weā€™re talking about Hollandaise, shout-out to its cousin Maltaise, nice on eggs, asparagus and salmon, good with any type of sweet orange or tangerine , not just blood oranges. https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/maltaise-sauce-recipe

1 Like

I find it is very quick and easy in a bain Marie. Bring the water to a simmer. Put an egg yolk, squeeze of lemon, salt, and cayenne in. Whisk them a bit and start adding and whisking bits of cold butter. I prefer not using a recipe so that I can adjust things depending on the dish.

1 Like

I do it in a small saucepan over very low heat to cut back on dishes. Eggs Benedict uses a lot of pots and pans.

1 Like

Poached eggs - the most boring iteration of eggs imaginable, IMO.

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

said no one, ever.

2 Likes

Scrambled eggs. Way more boring than poached.

I dress my poached with Hollandaise, poach the eggs in tomato sauce or in sauteed greens.

2 Likes

Most boring to most exciting egg preparation.
Interesting :thinking: question.
Orā€¦are all eggs boring?

1 Like

Have to say rather enjoy poached eggs.
They help showcase the rye bread and bacon or sausage.
I guess that I like simplicity and plain time to time.