Pina Coladas, Chi Chi's, and Tequila

I made a Bloody Mary with gin recently, and it was fantastic. Don’t know what it’s called though??

I didn’t know either so I googled - apparently it’s a Red Snapper! :fish: :fish: :fish: It sounds delicious!

1 Like

Powdered milk and egg whites are certainly available. But not sure how important the whey is, but given it’s the second ingredient on the list I would guess it is. And then there are the “Natural & Artificial Flavors”, so who knows how successful one would be trying to replicate it. I remember years ago doing a pretty exhaustive search for a copycat recipe without success.

1 Like

You must have read my mind! I was going to research it this morning - thanks.

Good to know! I learn something new on HO almost daily it seems.

@ScottinPollock , Caesars are much more common than Bloody Marys. Most brunch places that have a liquor license offer Caesars or Mimosas as the brunch cocktail options.

Some Caesars in Jasper, Alberta in Feb 2020.

Recent Novelty Caesars in Toronto

Tequila Caesar

2 Likes

Yes, Red Snapper. I drink them often.

3 Likes

I think Caesars are more common in Canada than the US. We’re more likely to have Bloody Marys on brunch menus around here, at least that’s been my experience. The Michelada is beginning to make in-roads, though.

There’s a brunch place in town that lets you order a Bloody Mary like you’re ordering sushi - tick boxes for which vodka, which mix, and then whatever garnishes you want (up to, and including, shrimp, “pizza”, and jerky).
photo3jpg

3 Likes

No thanks! I seriously don’t like clam juice in my cocktail. I know it is popular, but it’s just not for me.

Ok… gonna try one tomorrow with my sweet and pungent shrimp. My starting point will be:

2 oz Milagro Reposado
1.5 oz frozen fresh pineapple juice
1/2 cup ice
1/2 cup frozen fresh pineapple chunks
1/4 juiced lime
1 TBlsp Haagen Daz vanilla bean ice cream
3 TBlsp Coco Reål

I’ll let you all know how it turns out.

2 Likes

What’s not to live? Sounds good anyway & I’m sure will pair well with the shrimp.

It contains clams but it doesn’t taste like clams.

I can understand not liking the idea of clam juice in your cocktail.

Clamato has more umami than tomato juice.

A lot of people drink Clamato on the rocks as a non-alchoholic drink when they travel on Air Canada. Realize some people drink Bloody Mary Mix as a non-alcoholic drink- but I get the feeling Clamato on the rocks or a virgin Caesar is more popular in Canada than a Virgin Mary or Bloody Mary Mix is in the States.

Ok… this was pretty good. I liked the tequila flavor, but it was a tad too sweet. Maybe milk/cream/half&half instead of the ice cream, and/or a bit more lime.

But still miss the snow! Bet it would have been great with that sans the ice cream and Coco Reål. I miss its frothiness and texture of the dried coconut.

1 Like

That’s great news especially with all the shortages that we’ve experienced during the Pandemic.
I’m glad to hear that there won’t be a shortage of Clamato juice !
I love virgin Caesar’s also with tequila or vodka.
I respect your decision, if you haven’t tried it you should at least once.
Nope strike that because then you might decide that you actually like Clamato juice.
:joy:

Oh, I’ve tried it… both the Clamato brand and higher end bars that use real clam stock… again, just not for me. I prefer plain tomato juice or V8 (with celery, lemon, and Worcestershire).

2 Likes

Same, except I also add a few dashes of Tabasco, and a bit of hot horseradish, but I do love mine garnished with a couple nice plump shrimp though. That’s enough seafood in a drink for my palate, but to each their own.

1 Like

Thank you more for me.

1 Like

:joy: yes, your supply is safe from me! Dont get me wrong though, I do love clams & have tried Clamato, just don’t prefer it in a Bloody. However, next time I’m in Canada, I’ll enjoy one there. I live reasonably close to BC. Don’t know where you are?

1 Like

Same here, but it is Frank’s other than Tabasco (I like the vinegar aspect of it more), and maybe a dash of Worcestershire, but no HR or proteins.

1 Like

Just simplifed it tonight… my breakfast pineapple smoothie with just pineapple, juice, water and ice, with a squirt of the Reål, plus a shot of tequila (which I don’t usually do for breakfast). Much better. Still miss the snow.

1 Like