Petty, paring--or something in between

Why even try anymore? Someone’s shook. Glad it ain’t me. All this over knives, and catering, and true home cook, blah, blah, blah. I think we’re about done here.

I shit ya not, Chem, this crap is sooo middle school. Crises over little issues. Backpeddling when they screw up. Just admit you screwed up and move on. This has devolved to middle school stuff. I get my fill of it in real life. I expect as much out of 12-14 years-olds. Not adults. Then again, I can’t tell you how many 12-14 year-olds have already outmatured their parents.

I like cooking as a relaxing hobby that pays flavor dividends.

1 Like

I really should get another sliver powder. I was actually looking at that option a couple days ago.

2 Likes

The programs I’m aware of were not academic–most frequent were to get practical jobs in industrial design.

In all honesty, I don’t care – normally speaking. Who hasn’t made mistakes? The challenge is that the same conceptual points are kept bringing up about catering or cultural fusion or not enough home cooking… all these craps for weeks and months, and just keep on insisting these strange notions with zero evidence.

Long story short, it isn’t about backpeddling. It is about doubling down. Case in point, right in front of our faces… the discussion about CAD drawing. The conversation right now is about doubling down.

1 Like

Oooh, I clamor for more on your CFHCQPR. Where do you start for a “foundation” knife? Is there an enhancement for a Chinese knife that passed through Japan on its way to a consumer? Is there a premium for ownership provenance that connects it with SOCAL? The more you “research” it, what then?

C’mon, give it up.

2 Likes

Good way to put it.

1 Like

Hi mdamiano,

Reminds me of recent movie, Father Stu:

Ray

1 Like

Obviously that is a completely different case than knife making, Ray.

Does a baker need to know CAD to produce a loaf?

1 Like

Very likely true - but that’s beside the point. Not all professions, knife makers included, need to graduate from a school of fine arts

2 Likes

Has to be a lot - with the added proximity to Japan and all

1 Like

In Japan, those that don’t “make the cut” in advanced education have few alternatives for careers and advancement. The tech at miyabi in Japan is a lucky one in the knifemaking industry–and will learn cad.

IMO, that’s the future for the minimally educated young in the kitchen knife business. There are much more limited opportunities with the smaller artisan companies.

I suspect CAD skills are about as useful as ballroom dancing prowess for most of the techs doing the different jobs in your video from the Miyabi factory

2 Likes

A serious question. What is ballroom dancing for techs? I have never heard of it.
Edit: Forget it. You probably do not mean they really do ballroom dancing. You just mean it is useless.

2 Likes

I just think a lot of these discussions are so ridiculous and so backward. To judge a knife maker is good or not, just look at his/her knives. His products will answer that question. I do not know if Mr. Takeda use CAD drawing or not, but he not using CAD drawing won’t make me disrespect him in the tiniest bit.

Sorry. The fact that something this simple and straightforward need to be explained again and again is sad.

For what it is worth, I am communicating with Mr. Watanabe-san. I must have 6 emails exchanges with him in the last 2 days. Not once did I ask him “Do you have a CAD drawing?” “I need to see your CAD drawing”

4 Likes

Yes, Alexander,

That’s certainly your view. Let’s just agree to disagree.

1 Like

Finally something we can agree on :+1::raised_hands:

It is my perception that there is an approach of which Ray is enamored. It involves the use of CAD, scalable production, likely achieved in the PRC, and certain factory based approximations of artisan techniques such as cladding and Damascus. It also intersects with interests in knives like Shun and Miyabi, testing them in various ways, and discussing them with his selected persons. It seems that these things are not widely appreciated on this forum. There are those who are fine with reliable solutions like Kiwi or Victorinox, those who like old carbon blades, those who relish the works of art coming from small shops, often in Japan (but not always), and so on. Ray may well be the only person on this forum who is lit up by the things that given him so much pleasure.

And then there is fusion, perceived by many of us as inevitable evolution in a multicultural world and by Ray as something else, found chiefly in SoCal.

I find it curious that we spin our wheels when we might be cooking!

4 Likes

Hi Vecchiouomo,

I started this thread discussing grabbable knives I was using every day in my home kitchen for prep work: cooking.

I described them in terms of how I developed my batterie, and possibly upgraded knives. It remained on topic for quite awhile. Still is one of the most posted threads on Hungry Onion.

There now have been 176 replies, mostly on other things–yours is on “my approach.”

I’d rather be back on topic talking about how I use my smaller knives in my home kitchen.

I don’t think I have much to contribute on the topic of how you use your knives in your kitchen. Our views on kitchens, knives and the world seem too far apart for there to be middle ground and understanding.

So I guess my contribution will be to not clutter up your thread. I shall try to better myself and not get drawn into discussion by some of your more divisive claims :+1:

4 Likes

All of us have some difference in standard and perceptions, which is why we do not all buy the same cookware, knives and many other things. I do think there are some notions are so far our and so ridiculous that it will be hopeless to try to understand. Do we really need to try to make sense and to justify crazy statements like “if a knifesmith is any good, then he will know how to use CAD”. On a selfish level, it does me no good to waste time on this as opposed to something else more productive, like you said spin our wheel when we can be cooking.
On a community level, we are effectively wasting time on a ridiculous point. It is a ridiculous point and everyone knows it is ridiculous, except that one person. So why are we talking about it?
Look, any of us here can say something ridiculous too. I can say that “any good knife can only be made with HRC above 61 – anything lower than that hardness is crap” I can hold my ground and keep repeating this.
Is this what we have come down to? Wasting time on ridiculous stupid claims?

3 Likes