Pets at Farmers' Markets: Yes or No?

And their kids. :grinning: I love dogs and take my doggie love wherever I can get it. But I agree, they need to be behaved. And so do the kids!!!

1 Like

Usually I can forgive little kids and doggies for slight misbehavior, but my patience is next to zero for adults who display misbehavior. Letā€™s ace it. Human adults are not cute. They cannot get away with anything.

6 Likes

Baltimoreā€™s main Farmerā€™s Market does not allow pets. No one really follows the rule, though. I am deathly afraid of dogs, but have accepted the rule wonā€™t be enforced and learned to live with it. Every now and then Iā€™ll hear a whisper behind me, ā€œWhatever you do, donā€™t turn around.ā€ You could say Iā€™m never more alive than in those moments.

I could never stand the strollers, so I lugged our kid in a small carrier. For sticking to my principles, I was rewarded with shoulder stiffness. Maybe I should have relented. Or I guess I couldā€™ve just not gone to the marketā€¦

1 Like

My farmerā€™s market has signs posting ā€œno dogs allowedā€ but many people either donā€™t see them (granted, the signs arenā€™t at eye level) or just donā€™t pay attention to them. Every now and then Iā€™ll stop the dog owner (the pets are ALWAYS dogs) and gently remind them about the no pet rule. Iā€™ve never really understood the need of some people to take their dogs everywhere but hey, thatā€™s just me. I mean, people donā€™t take their cats shopping, why does the dog have to go out? Weird logic, I know.

There are things other posters have listed that annoy meā€“the Hummer sized strollers, slow moving/browsing crowd, groups that decide to stop in the middle of a crowd to chat. I swear, Iā€™m not a grumpy person, I just think some courtesy goes a long way, and sadly, some people donā€™t know the meaning of the word.

5 Likes

Between handling bags, money, and packing food items, I could not deal with my dogs too! And, our market is pretty tight, so I would always be worried about a paw getting stepped on. Dogs can stay home while we shop.

2 Likes

I have to admit, Iā€™m really jealous of the great big strollers they have these days. When my son was that age, they had the little hard wheels that could shake the poor little kid half to death, now they have big nice wheels, a better, softer ride, and more room for the tot. Yep, now my son is 27, and I think the big strollers are a pain in the arse too, but Iā€™m still jealous that they didnā€™t have them when he was that age, Iā€™d have been all over one.

1 Like

Maybe- but if you have triplets, what else are you gonna do?? Sure their strollers are annoying, but sheesh, those parents need to get out at least as much as the single-no-kids-no-pets people. Have a heart, people, hardly anybody expects twins or triplets, or heaven forbid, quads or quints or more. As for pets, I waffle a little. a friend had a big German Shepherd that was totally well-behaved (he had to be- she was a training nazi) and Iā€™d let him into any place I owned. Not all dogs are like that, though, unfortunately. Places are more or less accepting of dogs-accepted-everywhere geographically.

Itā€™s the tiny dogs on long, skinny leashes that annoy me. Iā€™ve gotten tangled more than once by a practically invisible leash attached to a practically invisible dog. And no, it wasnā€™t as adorable as the owners seemed to think.

3 Likes

Rather, the cats wonā€™t bother to follow you to shopping, they wait for you to get back and hang them over your hunt. :smile_cat:

2 Likes

??? Hopefully, you meant ā€œhand overā€.

1 Like

Exactly! :blush:

Thereā€™s a difference between parking the stroller in places where its blocking nobody like outside a stall away from the entrances. The problem is when these strollers show up right where people get in and out of a stall, blocking all other customers and the farmer from doing business. Now I really canā€™t find a good justification to defend them.

5 Likes

Yes ā€¦ these entitled folks would do the same with pets or kids

And shopping carts at the supermarket!

3 Likes

True, true.

i have 2 pomeranians, 6 and 8 pounds that are registered as emotional dogs. They are allowed in supermarket , leashed or in my pet shoulder bags. in restaurants, they are well behaved, sit on chairs ,never trying to grab food from the table. In airlines, they are considered to be hand carried parcels, of course I have to pay extra for that. Airline stewardess comment that they are better behaved than some of the children on board. They hardly bark if at all, My dogs are not only beautiful but well behaved. They do not eat anything unless specifically given to them. Everytime I go to grocery stores or to the mall, we get cornered by people who literally get out of their way to pat them., have pictures taken with them. One guy held one of my dogs, would not let go, asking if he can borrow him for a while as he is on an experimental drug which is pumped directly to his heart using a central line. I had to let him hold my dog for 30 minutes as I found it had brought him some happiness, I had another couple who asked if they can buy my babies. If I have the time, I would drive them to hospice and childrenā€™s wards to bring some joy to these peopleā€™s life!

As much as my cat is admired when he is travelling in his chic orange cat bag (with a trolley!) He got all types of compliments and made many people smiled, a dog frightened to near heart attack (he walked too close and my cat made a warning noise and bag was shaking). Twice he was in a restaurant. He never went to supermarket or market though. Iā€™m sure he would go as far as adopting the butcher.

how did you get your cat inside a restaurant?
is there such a thing as an emotional cat?

He was in a bag while we were eating, around 3 pm with most clients gone, I let him out with a leash and tried to get him to the toilet, when he became a bit restless in the bagā€¦ Luckily nobody complained.

I love dogs but Iā€™d draw the line at letting one sit on a chair at a restaurant. That just doesnā€™t seem right. Also, a pomeranian that doesnā€™t barkā€¦Iā€™d have to see it to believe it but good for you if you trained them that well.

2 Likes