[Penang, Malaysia] Japanese lunch at ๐—˜๐—ธ๐—ถ ๐—ฆ๐—ฎ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—•๐—ฎ๐—ฟ, Sunrise @ Gurney

๐—˜๐—ธ๐—ถ ๐—ฆ๐—ฎ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—•๐—ฎ๐—ฟ is one of those overlooked places which punch way above its weight. Its brightly-lit, high-ceilinged dining room on the second floor of the Sunrise @ Gurney apartment building overlooks the Gurney Drive beachfront.

What I really liked about this place is the way its dishes all seemed playful and fun. Plates of very fresh meats & seafood come festooned with tiny edible flower arrangements and riotously colorful. Taste-wise, this place was really big on flavors - but unfortunately, it did oftentimes overstepped the boundaries of what wouldโ€™ve seemed โ€œenoughโ€.

We started off with a couple of chilled sodas: a citrusy yuzu and a strawberry one. Both freshly-blitzed and utterly refreshing.

Instead of ordering from its lunch bento set menus, we opted for a la carte, and explored its Japanese tapas offerings instead.

Dashimaki Tamago (sweet egg omelette) - Iโ€™d always loved this dish, but the versions one gets outside Japan often fluctuate between good to almost inedible, depending on the country one gets them in, and how โ€œlocalizedโ€ itโ€™s become.
The version here had perfectly-textured layered eggs, but an overly-salty creamy sauce which overwhelmed the overall flavors of the dish.

Shiromi Tapas (crispy fish-skin with lobster salad and tobiko (flying fish roe) - this canape-sized snacks were pretty to look at but, again, thrown off-kilter by the chefโ€™s heavy hand with the salt pot.

Mini Cone Tapas (chopped salmon, onions, truffle, tobiko/flying fish roe & lumpfish caviar in pastry cones) - this was so good, we ordered seconds. The chopped salmon sashimi tasted decadent, although we felt the creamy dressing was a tad overly salty.

Our second order came in charcoal-colored cones

Sasami Moriawase (assorted grilled chicken breast skewers) - utterly delicious, albeit on the salty side. The chicken-meat were perfectly cooked and still moist.

Tsukune Moriawase (chicken meatball combination) - my fave item at lunch today: well-marinated chicken meatballs, paired with various toppings: cheese, fish roe, and miso.

Shake Harasu Sashimi (Salmon Belly) - very fresh, rich sashimi cuts. One of the best Iโ€™d had for a long time. Iโ€™ll come back here just for this dish.

White Pearl Roll (Scallop & Crabmeat Roll, topped with Creamy Crabmeat Sauce) - this was richly-flavored, and much stronger than what a Japanese diner wouldโ€™ve been used to.
The Penang Hokkien-Chinese, this eateryโ€™s target client base, demands strong flavors - subtlety is not in the Hokkien culinary vocabulary.

Avocado tempura - this dish was stupendous: one wonders why avocado tempura is not more widespread in its appeal or availability.

Gyuniku Kushiyaki (Grilled Beef, served with Grilled Onigiri/Rice Ball) - this dish was good, not spectacular. The grilled rice ball was delish.

This place is definitely a keeper, and is currently one of my top 3 spots for Japanese in Penang at the moment.

Address
Eki Sake Bar (็›Š)
68-2-1 & 68-3-1, Sunrise @ Gurney, Gurney Drive, 10250 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Tel: +60 11-2668 6683
Opening hours: 11am to 12 midnight daily

6 Likes

That is some gorgeous food. I likely I will never get there. Wish I could.

As a random observation I liked your use of the word stupendous. But I noticed itโ€™s sort of an odd word. It looks like it should be related to the word stupid but itโ€™s not and is very far removed from it. But you could see a funny line in some sort of dumb and dumber movie where a character is referred to as being so stupid heโ€™s stupendous. ๐Ÿฅธ

Like I wrote. Just a random thought. Thanks for the review.

2 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:
I never noticed this alliteration before. Funny how the English language works. Americans might probably use โ€œawesomeโ€ rather than โ€œstupendousโ€ in the same situation.

I had my entire educational life in Australia, whilst most of my working life/career was in Singapore, followed by 2011 till now in Malaysia - all places where the use of English is closer to the British form.

1 Like