[Penang] Dim sum breakfast at 𝗬𝗲𝗲 𝗛𝗲𝗼𝗻𝗴 (宜香茶樓飯店), Campbell Street

Yee Heong Restaurant on Campbell Street (at the end of the street near the Victorian Campbell St Market), serves of some of the tastiest dim sum in George Town, and is a personal favourite spot of mine for “yum cha”. The dim sum spread is served from 6am onwards - very traditional as, traditionally, the blue-collar workers start their work very eary. Singapore’s historic (but, unfortunately, now defunct) Nam Tong restaurant in Chinatown used to served their golfball-sized dim sum from 4am onwards.

Anyway, Yee Heong’s dim sum will sell out by 10.30am-11am, whence the kitchen will switch over to churning out a la carte orders of Cantonese dishes.

Some of the types of dim sum we ordered:

1. Haw gow (shrimp dumplings)

1. Shrimp dumplings with carrot filling.

1. Minced chicken & shrimp dumplings

1. Steamed fish in yuba skin, in sweet-sour sauce.

Our spread also included “lor mai gai”, “dai bao”, steamed tofu stuffed with fish paste and stewed pig’s trotters in black vinegar and ginger. The renditions here are superior to those at the other main dim sum restaurants in town.

Yee Heong gets pretty busy around 8am onwards, until most of the dim sum items get sold out. Come early if you want to be able to choose from their full spread.

Address

Yee Heong Restaurant (宜香茶樓飯店)
12-14 Campbell Street
10100 Penang
Tel: +604 2616990
Opening hours: 6.00am-2.30pm, 5.30pm-9.30pm daily, except Thursdays.

5 Likes

Went there especially for dim sum lunch when staying in Penang. Unfortunately they don’t do dim sum for lunch, unlike some other Chinese cities. Quite disappointed. I saw the empty steamers at the entry of the restaurant.

@klyeoh What do you think of their Cantonese dishes?

My lunch at Yee Heong:

I was brought there for lunch by a Penangite friend who’d been going back there for years. I’m not used to Cantonese dishes with a Penang slant, so wasn’t really into those dishes, having lived for 5 years (2011-2016) in Kuala Lumpur where the Chinese populace are mainly Cantonese, and the Cantonese food there is stupendous. Ditto Ipoh, a largely Cantonese, which I visited on food-hunting trips frequently. Ipoh’s dim sum are the tastiest in Malaysia, IMO.

Penang, like Singapore, is largely Hokkien (Fujianese), with strong Teochew (Chaozhou) influences. So, Cantonese cuisine is not really a strong suit in Penang.

At Yee Heong (we were there in mid-Dec last year), we ordered two noodle dishes (sang mein and sar hor fun).

Yee Heong’s sang mein was not as tasty as the version I had at Tho Yuen [Penang, Malaysia] Cantonese noodle dishes from 𝗧𝗵𝗼 𝗬𝘂𝗲𝗻 Cantonese restaurant, Campbell Street

Sar hor fun is a Cantonese dish done very well in Penang by Cantonese hawkers. The version in Yee Heong also could not be compared to the wonderful versions one gets off the streets (e.g. the one at Beach Street [Penang] "Sar Hor Fun" & "Yee Fu Mee" at Beach Street)

So, overall, I think I’d stck to dim sum at Yee Heong rather than its cooked dishes.

2 Likes