[Penang, Malaysia] ๐—”๐—ต ๐—Ÿ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—–๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฟ ๐—ž๐—ผ๐—ฎ๐˜† ๐—ง๐—ฒ๐—ผ๐˜„ at Zoo Road, Ayer Itam

Nearly four decades old, Ah Leng Char Koay Teow is one of the top purveyors of char koay teow (fried flat rice noodles) in Penang. The very popular Penang-style char koay teow is much sought after across Malaysia and Singapore, and is lighter and packed with fresh prawns and cockles compared to stodgier versions elsewhere.

Founded in 1979, Ah Leng Char Koay Teow is located in the large, mainly Chinese township of Ayer Itam, about 5 miles away from George Town. In the old days, Ayer Itam in the foothills of the islandโ€™s main mountain range was a war-time refuge during the Japanese invasion in World War II. These days, the rapid urbanisation of metropolitan George Town has caused the city to blend right into Ayer Itam township. But Ayer Itam still maintains much of its small-town feel.

Ah Lengโ€™s stall on Lorong Zoo 6, off Zoo Road, is located in a quiet corner of the otherwise densely-populated town:

77-year-old Teoh Koon Leng aka โ€œAh Lengโ€ is the same age as his great rival, Siam Roadโ€™s Tan Chooi Hong ([Penang] Siam Road Char Koay Teow at No. 82 Siam Road, off Anson Road). Both are masters in their art of frying koay teow. But their methods differ: Ah Lengโ€™s char koay teow is wetter, and he doesnโ€™t sear or char his noodles.

Ah Leng is usually assisted by his daughter, Chye Hong, who takes the orders from the customers and serves out the plates of char koay teow.

Ah Leng is a consummate perfectionist - he fries each portion of koay teow (flat rice noodles) individually in lard, throwing in eggs, prawns, cockles, beansprouts, and chives, then adds in two types of pre-mixed seasoning sauce blends (family secret recipe) and chili paste.

Ah Lengโ€™s char koay teow is one of the tastiest Iโ€™d had in Penang - his milder, moister version differs markedly from those produced by Penangโ€™s other top char koay teow spots. He barely cooks his very fresh, de-shelled prawns, serving them just-seared on the outside and still bouncy.
DSC09763

DSC02284

Ah Leng operates only in the evenings, 5pm to 11pm Mon, Thu to Sun. Heโ€™s closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Address
Ah Leng Char Koay Teow
Lorong Zoo 6, 11500 Ayer Itam, Penang, Malaysia
Tel: +6012498 3962
Opening hours: 5pm-10pm daily, except Tue & Wed. Call ahead to reconfirm as Ah Leng sometimes takes unannounced off-days.

6 Likes

I began salivating as I was reading thisโ€ฆ :blush:

1 Like

Time to make a trip to Penang. :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Whatโ€™s the extra if you order โ€œspecialโ€ (bottom of menu)?

You get extra large prawns! The โ€œnormalโ€ version comes with 3 large prawns, whereas the special one would have 6 prawns!

1 Like

Would get 6 prawns!

1 Like

OMG! :joy:

Iโ€™d only go for the six prawns if there was extra noodles, otherwise the ratios would be off for me. The duck egg would be a definite though. I always choose the duck egg.

1 Like

A very good day to you!! Iโ€™m Kang, year 2 student from University Sains Malaysia. We are currently working on Orientation Programme for new intake students, and one of the portfolios from our society is a virtual booklet fill with Penangโ€™s tourist spots. We plan to categorize Penangโ€™s tourist spots into 4 category, food, instagram hotspot, cultural and nature. When I was scrolling through the internet, trying to look for any better photos for Ah Leng Char Koay Teow, I found out that the photos from this post are really eye catching!! We sincerely hope that we can get the permission from Author to use photos above! Thank you so much and have a great day!!

1 Like

Please go ahead, but do credit Hungry Onion as your source. Thanks for asking.

1 Like

Great idea. Many universities produce something similar but itโ€™s researched and written by staff not students. Yours is going to be โ€œby students, for studentsโ€. Much better. Good luck with it. Maybe youโ€™ll come back when itโ€™s finished and post a link to at least the food section for us.