Paris - May 2022 Trip and Plans

Good call. Re: “Restaurant Montee.” We do like that – and have returned, and will again. See also, kinda nearby (15 min walking, also in the 14eme), the somewhat similar (Japanese chef; small, quiet, serene) “Le Kigawa.”

1 Like

Madame Mangeur aka pilgrim, your sarcasm is never missed and is always very appreciated. But so un-American (New Yorkers excepted). You’re supposed to be relentlessly earnest, no ? When I lived in San Francisco, my typically French sarcasm was rarely appreciated.

I was just adding a certain emphasis in case others, more earnest, missed your meaning. :innocent:

Good observation. Sarcasm is very un-American.

And so surprising that it is. Sarcasm is the core of British, French, Italian, etc humour. I wonder why all those immigrants in the US over the years left their sense of humour back in the old country. And “taking the mickey out of” someone (not sure if there is an equivalent in American English) is a sign of intimacy and familiarity in England and France. In the US, it results in duels at dawn.

Do you prefer “subtly facetious”?

And so un-you.

1 Like

It occurs to me that when a name becomes too familiar, one should take a good look at its present reality. Has it maintained whatever gave it its original luster.

Stretching the metaphor, I’m reminded of the three antique dealers marooned on a desert island. They had but one chair among them but they each made a decent living.

So it is with food writers who become charmed with a place and continue to publish the same reviews long past their relevance, each buoyed by the others’ similar praise.

1 Like

Meh, I grew up on sarcasm, and I am not a native New Yorker.

1 Like

My father was wry. He would make a comment which garnered no response for maybe a minute or so, when everyone would look around at him and notice a sly smile cross his face. Not sarcastic, but neither straight.

“Meh, I grew up on sarcasm, and I am not a native New Yorker”

But, at the risk of ruffling feathers, no hint of sarcasm in your writing style.

1 Like

The etc must include more than a handful of all of those immigrants! Ha ha ! ( reflecting sense of humor).

1 Like

I’ve only been to Le Kigawa once (Montée multiple times, but not yet post-pandemic), but I consider Kigawa more trad-based with Japanese flourishes, Montée is more contemporary (also strongly showing its Japanese influences).

1 Like

That is because I find that sarcasm doesn’t come off well in writing at all. Tone is key in sarcasm.

1 Like

I do agree with Onzieme that Le Kigawa’s dining is in the direction of traditional. The chicken breast in vin jaune that I fondly recall was certainly in that vein — yet it was far more elegant, both in preparation and in deconstructed presentation, than what one would get at, for example, Auberge Bressane. The similarity with Montée that I’m referring to is found in the sensibility / execution — and indeed, in the serenity of the two rooms. Speaking of traditional, right across the little street, L’Assiette does that very well indeed, in an uplifted manner — and in two energetic rooms that, although not boisterous, certainly would not be called serene. This reminds me, next time we are truly looking for traditional, we will consider L’Assiette.

Updated schedule:

May 14 - Dinner, Restaurant Montee (Confirmed)
May 15 - Lunch, Les Petites Mains (Confirmed - at the Palais Galliera - New Cheffe is Justine Piluso); Dinner, Le Chardenoux (Confirmed).
May 16 - Lunch, TBD; Dinner, Pouliche (Confirmed)
May 17 - Lunch, TBD; Dinner, Pantagruel (confirmed)
May 18 - Lunch, Mosuke (confirmed); Dinner, TBD
May 19 - Lunch, Assiette Champenoise (confirmed); Dinner (most likely not needed! but if hungry, will be something light)
May 20 - Lunch, Le Grand (confirmed); Dinner, Granite (confirmed)
May 21 - Lunch, TBD; Dinner, Le Servan (TBD)
May 22 - Lunch, Somewhere at the Ouen Flea Markets; Dinner, On wait list at Plenitude, otherwise, TBD
May 23 - Back Home!

So still to go, Monday Lunch, Tuesday Lunch, Wednesday Dinner, Thursday Dinner (if needed), Saturday Lunch, Sunday Dinner.

Right now, the Euro is sitting at 1.0795 USD, so it is definitely a good time to be in Paris.

1 Like

:airplane: Touché.
You two crack me up.

I admire your capacity. Have a great trip!

2 Likes

Thank you. I am now trying to get activities somewhat planned out. I am not a planner, per se, but I like to have a list that I know I am going to accomplish on a trip. I usually have an activity in the AM and one in the PM, then spend a lot of time wandering around, drinking wine, and people watching.

One thing I will ask this assembled group is I am planning on spending one day wandering around Montmartre. It is an area of Paris I have no knowledge of. Any food recommendations (i.e. Do not miss) for lunch? Also, what sites and activities are your favorite?

1 Like

You shouldn’t miss l’Arcane, I have a post on that, but it was at their old address. Since you said you like Montée, I’ve to say I like l’Arcane maybe even more than Montée.

@PenelopeWitherspoon, you seem to be a seasoned traveler, and despite your modesty you have mapped out a great plan.

There is one thing I do on every visit, if I possibly can: visit Monet’s Nympheas at Musée de l’Orangerie. The first time I saw those murals I was brought to tears. Visting the rooms remains a moving experience.

The other is allow time for some wandering, as you plan. Paris seems to be perpetually full of surprises.

The other bit of advice is plan to be first in line in the AM for anything that is particularly popular. We managed to re-visit Mona Lisa with fewer than a dozen people in the room. The exception seems to be the Eiffel Tower, which seems to have perpetually long lines. There’s a work-around, though: lunch at Jules Verne.