Ottolenghi London

Does anyone actually eat at Ottolenghi locations? Because in searching all I find are references to recipes and (gorgeous) cookbooks.

Any of his spots worth visiting during a super short visit? Which and why?

1 Like

I suspect that, unless you’re already a big fan, you’d find better food to eat. Not that I have ever eaten at an Ottolenghi - whenever we make a trip to the capital, our plans definitely include other restaurants. But then, I’m not a fan. Every Satruday morning , his recipes appear in my newspaper. And, every Saturday morning, I used to decide that there was just too much faff in cooking them. Now, I don’t even bother reading the recipes.

FWIW, I fell for the hype and have a copy of “Jerusalem” but have never cooked from it.

3 Likes

@Harters I agree with you. His recipes sound interesting, but always seem too complicated and have too many ingredients for my increasingly minimalist style.

1 Like

Regularly on Saturday mornings, I read that I would need to get an ingredient I’ve never heard of before and would have no other use for

2 Likes

I’ve cooked around a dozen recipes from Jerusalem, but haven’t cooked a single recipe from Simple or Plenty.
The recipes I’ve made several times can be found in the Guardian or on Epicurious (pears poached in white wine with saffron, and his mejadra, with many spices and crispy onions - I keep all those spices on hand, anyhow)

I had a reservation for Nomi in 2013, but my flight from Ireland was late, and I ended up cancelling. We went for a quick curry somewhere instead.
The cakes and pastries posted online for his shops/takeaway always look good. I will try one of his spots eventually.

2 Likes

We went to the one in Spitalfields. Didn’t blow our minds, TBH, but was good food.

I like a few of his recipes friends of mine, who are bigger fans of his than I) have prepared. I’m not too fond of butternut squash, but he has a nice treatment of it with mint and other shit I can’t recall right now.

1 Like

We cooked from Jerusalem for a benefit progressive dinner we helped host, and were a bit apprehensive that the suburban diners might find his recipes a bit too exotic. We were pleasantly surprised that everything was a hit.

Have not visited any of his restaurants yet, though we look forward to doing so. As regular visitors to Tel Aviv we keep wondering if he’ll eventually open a spot there.

2 Likes

This is such a great thread as I’m very interested in knowing what Ottolenghi’s restaurant fare is like.
Jerusalem does have very good reviews yet is not one of the cookbooks that I own.
I ended up picking up Simple, Nopi and The Cookbook at a garage sale so the investment was minimal.
Time will tell if they will retain shelf space.
I think that this thread may help speed up my decision making, after I try a few recipes from each book.

1 Like

I’ve been to the one in soho, warwick street I believe. Disclaimer: I’m not an Ottolenghi fan. The restaurant was very basic, like a regular cafe. See pics from google. There are much nicer places in London if you ask me. But if you’re a fan and want to eat there, I guess it’s worth trying out. This location is very central.

2 Likes

You should try some of his recipes from Plenty or Plenty More. Ottolenghi really shines in these books with very well thought out ideas and every ingredient makes sense and adds something to the dish

5 Likes

We travelled to London 3 yrs ago for spring break. I had the highest hopes of going to one of his restaurants, but unfortunately it was an absolutely crap trip. I got sick immediately before travelling (cold or flu) and then one by one every 36 hrs or so, another of my 3 remaining family members got it. So at any given point, there was no opportunity to have a 4 person dinner because someone was always left behind in the flat, resting.

That said, my fondest London food memory is the borough market over by the Globe theater. One of the vendors makes paella and it is absolutely dynamite. We went back 2x for it.

3 Likes

Borough Market is still interesting. I remember it first from when it was still more market than tourist attraction.

1 Like

Mine wasn’t meant as a commentary on the market as a whole. Which was fine and fun. But that paella was to die for. I’ve never had one that had such a pronounced and delicious flavor of seafood stock infused into the rice.

1 Like

I haven’t eaten at Ottolenghi’s restaurants because I live in Los Angeles, CA.

However, I have cooked many of his recipes, mostly from Plenty, Plenty More, Simple and Flavor (Flavour to you Brits…).

For me, Ottolenghi’s recipes are well worth the shopping and effort. I haven’t eaten meat since I was a child; it is a dream come true to have cookbooks where every recipe suits my diet and the dishes taste incredible. I’m also enamored with the variety of flavors and textures in Ottolenghi’s recipes.

Regarding the unusual ingredients, I find that most of the ingredients that aren’t carried at supermarkets are spices. As they aren’t perishable, I don’t mind buying them. I can always use them next time.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your replies. I won’t have time to try any of his places this trip but was curious and several answers helped me.

We are doing a Rules Sunday roast and an afternoon tea at the Wolseley, I know it’s touristy but I’m obsessed with clotted cream.

Staying S Kensington and happy to consider other options if you offer. Thanks!

2 Likes

The Wolseley is lovely. I’ve been 3 or 4 times. They have the Arnold Bennett Omelette on the menu which isn’t too common. The space is beautiful.

I’ve enjoyed my meals at Rules, too. Get the Jersey Royal potatoes, as a side, if they’re on the menu when you’re there, if they don’t come with the roast.They’re seasonal, and special.

3 Likes

A well made one is, indeed, a thing of joy. And surprisingly difficult to fnd in Spain. We regularly visit the country (just back from a couple of weeks). We know a couple of “locals places” where the paella (and fiduea) is good but not great. As you say, good stock for the rice is essential.

If you are back there and want to continue the Spanish theme, I can thoroughly recommend the chorizo rolls on the Brindisa stall. Soft white roll, spicy chorizo, sweet red peppers and rocket.

3 Likes

Rules is probably my favourite restaurant in London. We live in northwest England - a two hour train journey from London. Last November, before the last lockdown, we came to London for the day just to have lunch there. It’s comparitively rare these days to come across our traditional dishes in a restaurant setting, so it’s always a treat.

FWIW, Jersey Royals are just coming into season but should be now generally available. Bear in mind this early in the season, supplies will be limited so they won’t be cheap. But they are probably the most flavoursome potato you will ever come across. They’ll just need a drizzle of butter and a sprinkling of mint (if you’re having roast lamb of course).

3 Likes

It’s been a long while since I’ve been (not been down South since right before the pandemic, wow!) but I enjoyed hopping by Ottolenghi spots with a friend where we’d pick up a few items for picnics. Not a destination as much as a good choice. (I would LOVE to go to Nomi, though.)

In terms of cooking,. I was gifted the Jerusalem cookbook, which is gorgeous and which includes recipes I use for inspiration, certainly (mixes of ingredients, particular methods,. etc.) But then, that’s how I use many cookbooks and recipes…

ETA: When I’m in London, it’s usually work or pop down to see a friend related, so fancy restaurants are often out (also, we’re poor academics, so…) but omg I almost always try to stop by roti king.

3 Likes

Those are much nicer places indeed :slight_smile: And I wouldn’t characterise The Wolseley as being touristic. There will be a few but you will mostly see Londoners there.

1 Like