[Osaka, Japan] Seasonal kaiseki at Genji, Hilton Osaka

Dinner at Genji, Hilton Osaka, this evening - one of the very pleasant places to dine at near Osaka Station without having to contend with the usual queues and prolific Osakan dining crowd.

1. Simmered octopus with red beans, taro, pumpkin, okra & kinome leaf.

2. Sashimi of sea bream, bonito & squid.

3. Tempura of prawn, scallop, sea bream, bamboo shoot, asparagus, eggplant and pumpkin.

4. Dips for the tempura included sansho pepper salt, kinome miso sauce & yukishio salt.

5. Palate cleanser: lychee sorbet.

6. Teppanyaki of Wagyu sirloin, Dohmyohju & foie gras croquette, with sparkling wine sauce.

7. Sushi platter: fatty tuna, tuna, conger eel, vinegared fish, amberjack & whitefish.

Miso soup was served towards the end of the meal.

1. Dessert: Soy milk panna cotta, fresh strawberries, strawberry sauce & strawberry granite.

The chefs were all pretty good at their respective specialties:

This kaiseki costs JPY16,000 (US$144) without drinks.

Address
Genji, Hilton Osaka
〒530-0001 Osaka Prefecture, Osaka, Kita Ward, Umeda, 1-8-8
Tel: 06-6347-0310
Operating hours: 11.30am-3pm (Daily), 5.30pm-10pm (Mon-Fri), 5pm-10pm (Sat, Sun)

4 Likes

Amazing. I too chose that hotel because it is next to the station.

1 Like

Incredible looking meal.

1 Like

Will ETA ITM (Osaka airport) 9/27/22. After a few false starts, looks like we may actually make it this time. Doing some preliminary research and of course, your informative posts come up immediately.

We’ve done Kobe and Kyoto the last Kansai trips. Ranging out to Nagoya and Kanazawa as well this time around. Looks like we may be just ahead of the October Japan/USA visa waiver rush. Arrigato.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure you’ll be uncovering more dining gems in Osaka than I did - I spent a tiny amount of my trip to the Kansai region in Osaka itself the last time, as I was in Nara and Kyoto most of the time.

There is the popular saying that goes, “Kyo no kidaore, Osaka no kuidaore” - Kyoto-ites will go broke from buying kimonos whereas Osakans will ruin themselves from eating. :joy:

4 Likes
1 Like

We saw this from the taxi, but didn’t have time to see what it’s about. There are branches elsewhere ! What do you know / have heard?

2 Likes

Well, we ain’t buying no kimonos.

We’ll just have to eat until we drop. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Purported creator of omu rice. Directly across the Glico neon

1 Like

:joy: :+1:

1 Like

You will succeed. Osakans are mad about eating. Mind-blowing madness. All the businesses in this photo are food shops!

They make sure you can see it from a great distance. Look again and you’ll see a takoyaki.

Of course I ate takoyaki, but in a restaurant. Without Japanese mayo. I just don’t like mayo, Japanese or not.

Being made

And a version with cheese!

Had wanted to try this but lost track of time in the (eating) madness of Osaka.

Jet lag kept me awake much of the first night. Sunrise from my hotel room. Osaka’s big train station Nankai is directly below.

Seen from the breakfast room shortly after the above photo was taken.

We were the 2 without phones.

On another day…
After ordering we waited, but not for long. Suddenly someone appeared carrying stuff and started cooking up a storm at the table. Everything happened so fast and unexpected.

One has meat and the other one seafood

Almost ready

I love my Sauerkraut but this is fantastic in a different way. There’s a big pile of bonito flakes underneath the green and red bits and brown sauce. No mayo on mine but it’s supposed to have it.

Everyone visits the castle

Almost there

Autumn in Osaka seen from the castle. It was still very hot in October. But the typhoon season is over by then.

4 Likes

@Presunto

Any plans for return to Japan soon? They are expected to announce resumed visa waivers next week.

We’ve booked another trip to Tokyo for February. Will be cold, but couldn’t resist the great air fare deal for the flight.

No, not next year for sure. When we go to Japan again pretty sure it’ll be to the southern islands. Really nice and very few western tourists make it there.

Until everything returns to “normal”, right now we just want to go to countries that we only need to show our passports to enter. Can’t deal with new entry requirements and other hassle for now.

1 Like