Options

Not meant to deflect. Intending to point out that the environmental narrative does not compare apples to apples. You have to dig in. Solar power is simply an easy example of where data is cherry picked. Nuclear power is much better for the environment than solar and can support baseload, which neither solar nor wind can do.

That’s analogous to the veg narrative where supportive agriculture, transportation, and waste are not considered in comparison to animals. Yes, yes, intestinal gas and all that, but the difference is not as stark as the narrative maintains.

I’m not giving up veg any more than I’m giving up animals.

We wouldn’t make much of a difference to the planet if everyone went vegan. Bigger difference from giving up ‘instant-on’ electronics and IoT that make your refrigerator talk to you. We’d make a big difference with nuclear for power and micro- and pico-reactors would be a game changer (research is ongoing and may not be far away, but environmentalists don’t want it). You won’t hear that from the environmental lobby because they all are subject to The China Syndrome (watch carefully and you can see the house I lived in 1978). The real big answer is fewer people. You won’t hear that from the environmental lobby either.

To my original observation, vocal vegetarian’s of all stripes expect vegetarian options everywhere but vegetarians who run veg businesses are less inclusive. I find that interesting and hypocritical.

I’m not suggesting change. Just honesty in assessment.

You asked.

There many climate experts who have very clearly stated that significant reduction of animal farming would have a significant effect on carbon/methane emissions and thereby climate change. You are voicing personal opinions who are in no way backed by any scientific evidence or any of the climate scientists (more the other way around that science contradicts your personal opinion) - and you are not asking for honesty in assessment but ignoring existing scientific evidence.

Well, they are only 22 miles away from us. Bound to have a positive effect.

1 Like

Yes - one in my village and another in the nearby city.

Yes and they’re not monolithic—- in Northern California, for example, under the vegan restaurant umbrella you’ll find kosher Chinese, sushi, lots of soul food, Teochew Singaporean, Mexican, Taiwanese, Cantonese Buddhist, Indian street food, “plant-based” fast food places, farm to table, raw, and those with a “wellness” focus.

2 Likes

I glanced at the vegan restaurants menus in my area and found meat dishes too. If there’s vegan only restaurants I wish them luck.

1 Like

Interesting— may be just a nomenclature issue. I can’t speak to what you’ve looked at, but vegan restaurants that serve foods meant to approximate the texture of meat often list them as beef, chicken, shrimp, etc., without quotation marks, and the communities they serve understand that they’re not animal products (similarly, in the 90s I worked for a Kosher caterer serving faux-shrimp and non-dairy-based desserts, and people understood what they were despite appearance)

Restaurants have notoriously thin margins so if a vegan restaurant can make it my hat is off to them. At this point I wouldn’t lend one money.

One way vegan restaurants accommodate the people who desire meat is to serve plant-based meats, which depending on the type, fit within the religious, environmental, etc. goals of the business. Asking for meat itself is not a reasonable request, and a Plant-based meat is a lot more “fair” than some poorly thought-out vegetarian meals I’ve shared at weddings in recent years.

1 Like

There are several in the Tampa Bay area and looking at the lines, and reading the replies and reviews, they certainly appear to be highly successful.

1 Like

I do hope they are successful.

I do, too! I keep wanting to try them, just haven’t been near any at meal times.

1 Like

I don’t find that vegetarians or vegans are any more vocal about this than people who follow a Paleo or Keto diet trying to convince me to eat more butter and steak or low carb types telling me to replace my morning bananas with bacon. I might concede that a very emotional vegan can be a little more antagonistic or earnest in discussions about food but most vegans I know are not any worse or self righteous than anyone following a specific diet.

The tiny Pollyanna in me want to say that when people find happiness from a lifestyle change they just want people they like to experience that same joy.

4 Likes

cough like a discussion of ragbagger versus stinkpotter, Dave? I know you’re heard those …

So, the solution is … cannibalism?

I can see it now, new thread: “Options Redux: Why don’t cannibal restaurants offer non-human flesh options? So unfair!”

3 Likes

Well, hugs. I’m ambidextrous. grin Most of my long haul work is sail because of fuel capacity, but the occasional Nordhavn is really cool. Lots of sportfish with eight or twelve 55 gallon drums on pallets in the cockpit. I’m in the “we’re all boaters” camp.

You haven’t watched Soylent Green in a while, have you?

I’ve eaten a lot of things but not people yet.

Farmers Markets I have gone too in both Oregon and Washington almost always have plenty of beef, lamb and pork being sold. If there is a war on meat the plant eaters are losing. My burger options in SW Washington feels endless.

3 Likes

So true! Guilty of it myself from time to time.

I’m one of those, “I eat everything in moderation types.” I imagine we can be insufferable. I know people who say that about drinking wine can annoy me sometimes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Another view:

2 Likes