Ingredients

• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

• 1/2 cup water

• 1 large egg, lightly beaten

• 1 teaspoon seasoned salt

• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

• 1 large onion, very thinly sliced

• Oil for deep-fat frying

• In a shallow bowl, whisk the first 5 ingredients. Separate onion slices into rings. Dip rings into batter. In a deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. In batches, fry onion rings until golden brown, 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.

onion rings are not “very thinly sliced”

2 Likes

I love the thick, beer-battered style of onion ring. But since I never deep fry at home, and they must be consumed immediately or they turn to lead, they are a very rare treat.

3 Likes

I like mine very thinly sliced with a light tempura batter. Must be consumed within less than minutes out of the oil. I always made my own, and used my wok to deep fry them. But I don’t make them anymore and I don’t order them in restaurants.

2 Likes

I too love them thin and crispy and hot out of the fryer. My favorite place changed hands, and their onion rings changed. Lost forever. So I have them out occasionally, but I’m mostly disappointed. I never fry at home, it’s just too messy before and after!

3 Likes

I used to love those “loaves” of onion rings that some restaurants would make by pressing thin-sliced and battered onions in a fryer basket and and then weighing them down with another basket. The thick-sliced ones I’ve tried lately seem like mostly ring and not much onion. Not that I wouldn’t eat some of those right now.

onion loaf

3 Likes

Curious how many HOers have deep friers at home. I don’t and won’t, and won’t go out to eat so much as it pains me, no onion rings for Dave.

I’ve never seen a loaf of onion rings! Those do look good.

Gave away our deep fryer many years ago. Too hard to clean and took too much space. I just saw one recently that can completely disassemble for easier cleaning.

At the moment I use a Bain Marie pot to deep fry: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/6-qt-bain-marie-pot/92278760.html

It minimizes mess, but it’s hard to fry large batches. Straining the leftover oil is still a pain. Barkeeper Friend makes cleanup bearable.

1 Like

IIRC those deep fried onion loaves originated at Tony Roma’s. A chain restaurant. All the rage back then.

I gave away my deep fryer years ago. Frying onion rings in a large fry pan is too much of a hassle. The large rings take up too much room and it takes forever to cook a batch. I’ll stick to Dairy Queen. Good onion rings. And they don’t stink up the house.

This is what I use for cod and is great for onion rings especially if you can get your hands on freshly grown onions.

Beer Battered Fish and Chips | Paula Deen

Oh yes, I love those onion loaves!

I second those Dairy Queen rings. I never buy their frozen items, just the rings.

1 Like