On being obese

Pretty interesting ideas in play…

5 Likes

I remember when I was a kid, being fat could be a blessing for certain careers, especially a fat doctor was not seen as a bad sign, rather a thin doctor would be suspicious. Same as a fat chef. But those days were long gone now.

2 Likes

Was just about to post this here. Very interesting read.

2 Likes

When my wife and I started seeing med pros for weight loss and guidelines it took a long time to find drs that would listen and go the distance. Today, if I see any sign of impatience from any aspect of healthcare I walk out.

Its a waste of time and money to seek care and get treated like a case file.

Shaming of any kind makes me ill.

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing this.
Thank you a thousand times.

1 Like

As mentioned in the article, doctors rarely know what they’re talking about when it comes to weight or weight loss. My husband just saw a new GP who immediately told him he was overweight and needed to do something about it - despite the fact that he is 100 lbs lighter than he was 15 years ago and in excellent shape from a cardiovascular standpoint. He exercises (weights and HIIT) 4-5 times a week and eats low-carb - what the hell MORE is he supposed to do? At 6’3 and 230 lbs he is still somewhat overweight in terms of BMI, but given where he came from, I don’t understand why any doctor would do anything other than congratulate him on his health-promoting lifestyle changes and tell him to keep up the good work.

11 Likes

Believe me you are singing to a choir member! We met our indiv goals and maintain well but we still come across horrible stories from friends and family who had similar challenges getting solid and appropriate healthcare.

I hope anyone dealing with body shaming doesnt listen to idiotic time wasting and finds what makes them happy and healthy from mavericks in medicine not morons.

2 Likes

Totally agreed! Although in practice, I don’t know if it is possible, since there is a huge shortage of doctors in France.

1 Like

You’re not wrong but the time and money wasted isnt right either.

I have seen drs while working a tour outside the US too and it was a real pain in the arse. I still fight the good fight when necessary

2 Likes