Omakase at Café Sushi [Cambridge, MA]

Yes, Cafe Sushi gradually evolves their menu based on the best fish available. You will find more variety on a seasonal basis. In addition to the set Omakase menu, there are generally at least 2 off menu specialty items offered to omakase diners each evening.

Over the years I have found Seizi and Kenshi to be wonderful people as well as extraordinarily talented chefs. I’ve seen first hand the ways they serve and support the communities in which they run their business and live. They also treat their employees very well and have trained many hands from all backgrounds and ethnicities. You can feel good about supporting them and their business.

3 Likes

Fully agree.

Interesting about off-menu items. I’ve never been offered any. (The tuna “steak” happened because of the conversation.)

1 Like

have you tried saying (sotto voce, natch) “Just so you know, I’m…” (then at this point taking quick sidelong glances to the right and left) “fooddabbler”.

That might bust out the tuna collar or whatever!

4 Likes

I’d try this but am afraid I’ll be thrown out of the restaurant.

I have been offered stuff at the end of the meal, but it’s been another piece of something I’ve already had – it’s vaguely possible that something new was offered (so I shouldn’t be so definitive) to me at some point in the past, but not as a matter of course.

3 Likes

When we visited last week for the omakase, the only supplement offered was the American unagi (delicious).

3 Likes

How often do you have omakase at CS, and may I borrow your life for a few months?

2 Likes

I manage to get there for the omakase about once per quarter and I am very grateful to be able to do so. It’s a good frequency for me as it gives the menu time to evolve a bit.

3 Likes

I live in Manhattan but visit Cambridge monthly for work. I enjoyed my very reasonably priced omakase at Cafe Sushi and their wonderful sakes. I always ask the itamae 'Is there anything special today? Anything that the average diner might not enjoy? I tend to like that stuff." And I’ve been offered great surprises. Not for free - nor did I expect such. I did the same at Cafe Sushi.

3 Likes

Thanks to a $250 gift card from a client who has a tendency to credit me with pulling off miracles when I have actually just done my job, a friend and I enjoyed omakase at Cafe Sushi last night. They now give you a menu with the night’s lineup which is great to help remember what you might want another piece of.

Course one: maguro with chimichurri cantaloupe mostarda and iced onion. Amazing how much flavor was packed into these small bites.

Course two: madai, kinmedai and kinki (l to r). All great but the kinki was mind-blowing.

Course three (what I always think of as the pink course): umi masu, iwana and king salmon (l to r). All fantastic.

Course four: sunomono, a lovely rice vinegary salad with cukes, wakame, little cubes of something tasty and bay scallops for my friend, barramundi for me. Really refreshing and tasty. Forgot to take a pic.

Course five: kamasu, sawara, iwashi. I love these stronger, oily fishes and last night’s were no exception. I found the iwashi particularly excellent, my friend was knocked out by the sawara. I seem to have forgotten a pic of that course too.

Course six: ishigakidae, kanpacha, shima aji. Devra First calls these the crowd-pleasers and they were.

Course seven: my friend got the pair of uni. She had never had uni, was game to try it but not a fan. I got a piece of maguro and torched fatty salmon belly with ikura on crispy nori.

My friend wanted to try my course seven, I wanted to repeat it, our fabulous waitress Kelsey wanted us to try the Maine eel and I wanted more iwashi so we each had “dessert”. If you are there and they have the Maine eel, it was spectacular, if we could possibly have shoved anything else in we would have had another round of that.

Thank goodness for grateful clients!

8 Likes

I tend to believe that you perform miracles.

4 Likes

Me too. Nice write-up @GretchenS.

Yes, they now have menus (if I may say in my small voice, see my post a little upthread).

3 Likes

You’re right @fooddabbler you did tell us that and I forgot! Also your photos are a lot better than mine!! Hmph.

1 Like

Don’t know about the photos… Hmph backatcha…

2 Likes

…and for good friends (disclosure: I was not the friend at dinner last night).

3 Likes

As a curiosity, at course seven you opted out of uni and got something that seems – unless I miss something – not listed. Did you just tell them you wanted something else?

1 Like

I have a dratted shellfish and cephalopod allergy that they are fantastic at working around (as most good restaurants are). I don’t actually know if uni is something I’m allergic to but not willing to take the risk. They are always awesome about consulting me about the kinki because rock fish mostly eat shellfish but I luckily have no reaction to it.

1 Like

Sorry about that dratted allergy. Yes, they’re very understanding there.

1 Like

I can’t think of a better gift to get from a client! I agree, the shallot flavor with the Kinki really does kick it up.

I’ve never had mackerel as fresh and well presented as at Cafe Sushi. Same for their bluefish when in rotation.

I have mixed emotions about the menus. I agree it is helpful when planning your encore, and also when trying to place the note of a flavor in a specific piece even though it was just explained to you in detail. However, the omakase is always a pleasurable journey and I don’t necessarily want to read ahead.

1 Like

Thank you for this write up. And for coursing it out for us! I have no real insight; just commiseration.

2 Likes

Another friend, another special occasion to celebrate, another spectacular meal. Several of my photos are too crap to post, I will just post a couple of favorites. Once again they had off-menu Maine eel that we elected to have for “dessert” - they charred the skin and it was out of this world good.

6 Likes