Old San Juan or Condado recs? Puerto Rico

We’ll be heading to Puerto Rico later this summer and are looking for good food. We’ll be staying in Condado, but willing to go into Old San Juan for dinners. Two of us don’t eat pork. Price not important but we don’t want anything overly stuffy. A view would be nice, but food is the most important part. Thanks!

2 Likes

Here you go. https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com/?s=San+juan. Especially orozco’s and Princessa. We stayed at the Marriott on Condado and I recommend that. Good beach, good service, easy walk to restaurants, cheap uber to Old SJ.
When we were there we couldn’t rent a car to go to the pork highway, alas. Next trip!

1 Like

Had a great, relaxing time in Puerto Rico. We found one absolutely wonderful restaurant: Santaella. I had booked us there for our second night, and we liked it so much that we booked again for later in the week. Both nights we had meals that were all appetizers/starters. Standouts: shrimp bao, goat cheese quesadilla with honey and truffle, tuna lollipops, hen of woods mushrooms over goat cheese with a jalapeño vinaigrette, and there was more that was also delicious and interesting. Nice wines by the glass too. This place is in Condado, away from the beach. Highly recommend it.

Based on internet reviews we also tried Carli’s Fine Bistro and Trois Cent Onze, both in Old San Juan. The live music at Carli’s was great, but the cod fritters were heavy and stodgy, and the shrimp pasta came already covered in Parmesan. I wasn’t impressed. Trois Cent Onze was pleasant, but I wouldn’t rush to go back. The starter quiche was actually great; the rest of the meal perfectly fine. Tacos and Tequila, in our hotel, gives huge portions and is fun. If you’re staying nearby and want something easy, sure, go.

3 Likes

3 Likes

@LulusMom1 Thanks for this report - PR has been on our shortlist for some time.

1 Like