Old Bukhara (Uzbek) - Freehold

@corvette_johnny The lamb had a nice char on the outside and was very good but I didn’t get much charcoal flavor.

@joonjoon They have lagman on the menu here but we didn’t try it on our first visit. It’s also on the menu at Shirin Cafe and while it’s very good, the Mastava (which they describe as thick spicy authentic Uzbek soup with rice and minced lamb) is the best soup at Shirin.

I’ve had Lagman at a number of Uzbecki restaurants in the US, Russia, Estonia and Latvia and it’s been different in almost every one. It always has lamb, noodles and a bunch of vegetables in a meat based broth but there are wide variations in spices, types of vegetables, thin or thicker broth and type of noodle. It’s almost always good though.

2 Likes

+1 for the Mastava at Shirin!!! Waiting for cold weather to go have it again :blush:

Any updates on this place? I need to get here soon :slight_smile:

It sounds to me like we have to do a HO down before it gets too warm.

1 Like

Sounds like fun! I’d love to try their assortment of kebabs.

I follow their Instagram despite having not eaten there yet. They seem like they have a good time and put out appetizing-looking dishes. I think they have live music weekly.

Let’s do this, people!!

Excellent! This looks like the kind of place I’d want to order everything so having a larger group seems like the perfect way to go. How about a lunch or “early” dinner (so we don’t keep @seal up too late) on a Saturday (since I work Sunday’s)?

Possible Dates: 3/24, 4/7, 4/14

@jsfein @CurlzNJ @BossaNova @MishyPoo @joonjoon @corvette_johnny @NotJrvedivici @gcaggiano

4/7 and 4/14 are both good for me right now…

I can’t do the 7th. I have a birthday party to attend at http://www.captainsinnnj.com

Does anyone have any recommendations? It seems kind of “touristy” but it will be good to see some friends and family. @bgut1

We are in nyc for a 90th bday party on the 14th. For the trials and trevails of this event check this out:

As of now I can do 4/7 and 4/14!

I’d prefer 4/7…want me to start a sep HODown thread, @MsBean ?

Yeah! Do it. Maybe we can find another date that works for everyone :slight_smile:

Michelle and I are both in las vegas on 4/7, she’ll still be there on 4/14 but I’ll be back. She also has plans the afternoon of 3/24 and I may or may not go with her.

I agree. There may be more interested HOs than are following this thread. @CurlzNJ thanks for offering.

1 Like

https://www.localflavor.com/nj-monmouth

$15 gets you $30 credit at Old Bukhara

Old Bukhara has closed. We had been there twice, most recently a couple months ago. We enjoyed our most recent visit and spent quite a bit of time chatting with the owner. It was midweek and only a couple tables were occupied. A very nice man, passionate about his home country and cooking. On their FB page he says he’s looking for another location.

1 Like

Sorry to hear. Never made it there but followed their Instagram. They had many live broadcasts of their food and even music and dancing performances. Seemed like a lively place (though never any footage of customers!)

1 Like

Kind of expected it.
When there a couple months ago on a Wednesday night with the $15 for $30 deal.
We were one of two table there… the food was good and enjoyable but the location is kind of out of the way and there is also another Uzbek place not far away.

Always sad to see restaurant that actually produces decent food closes down.

1 Like