Oakland restaurant news and notes 2016-17

I wonder how the new Moroccan Palace in Oakland will taste. They have the couscous and tagines of every meat. Not an adventurous menu. But there is a dearth of interesting Moroccan places around here.

Poke Zone had only a scoop or 2 of some proteins, most proteins not available last time i went last week.
passed on poke, got a hot tea (1), strong, undiluted drink.

Shiny Tea is now T & Bowl, offering several kinds of teas and Hawaiian Poke.
Lg (3 scoops) 8.75 is well worth it. they use a small ladle, not an ice cream scoop.
-protein is very fresh, base choices either sushi rice or brown rice
best poke i’ve had in months!
teas are above average in quality, mostly $4+, top 2nd tier drinks.

Yaya Poke on webster st. may be from the closed Franklin St. location. (previous tenants, yogurt and sushi take outs)
-order by handing checklist to sushiman. sizes sm, med, lg.
-s(2 scoops 7,95?) had mushy fish, same as franklin st. not so fresh.
-base of mixed greens had lettuce and thousand island mixed in.
-toppings the usual, sauces ok, had aftertaste, msg or frutose, not sure
-little seating available, 3rd tier poke…

1 Like

Fusebox is closing :frowning:

I had a great lunch there last week and regret not having their Korean fried chicken one last time, best in the Bay

According to this article, Grocery Cafe (Burmese) will be opening in Jack London Square May 29.

Grocery Cafe going into Hanh’s Hibachi spot.

2 posts were split to a new topic: [Oakland] Wing Man Chicken & Tea

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/08/oaklands-pican-closing-for-now-brown-sugar-bocanova-joining-uptown/

LocoL on Broadway closed. Consolidating to their West Oakland space.

Mockingbird moved from Uptown-ish to Downtown. The new space is beautiful and the food is good. Service was excellent there aren’t many similar places nearby. So far they are only open for lunch and happy hour.

I completely agree - great to have them back.

According to their facebook posting, Grocery Cafe will be opening in their Jack London location this Monday for dinner, lunch to follow (possibly by Thursday).

Mockingbird now serving dinner:
Monday - Friday Lunch 11-3.
Happy Hour 4-6.
Dinner 6-10 Monday - Saturday

416 13th Street Oakland California 94612

called Grocery Cafe tuesday night. got a recorded message that mailbox is full. doesn’t sound like they are open.

A Yelper just reported they had lunch today 8/03 at Grocery Cafe/JLondon Square.

called Grocery Cafe just now. person answering phone said they were open. no greeting when phone answered,

How does the menu look like? More items than before?

Yelp review suggests there is a ‘chicken noodle soup’ now. I don’t recall that item on the menu previously.

Most likely that would be “Ohno Khao Swe” which was on the menu at the previous location and is a Burmese standard (and the model for the Thai standard Khao Soi).

HH has smaller versions of regular lunch/dinner offerings.
cheeseburger (10) from ground prime beef, gruyere cheese (choice of 3) red onions, quite tasty, juicy.
*ends a dry period of inadequately made burgers…
-full version (16) includes fries)
-fabulous service, weak draft beer offerings, wine, cocktails, many options.

-Slainte Irish Pub has a fish problem. their local $15 local one piece fried cod is tasteless… (this is true for almost all eateries offing local and alaskan cod). didn’t try breakfast. no doubt a lot better.
-Sam’s Carryout can be taken literally. waiting space is 10 x 4, no seating. carry out cheese pizza (5.99), delivered 14.99. wait time, at least 1/2 hour. one man show.
–decent pizza for 5.99, skip the wait, go across the street, get the fish & chip, no wait, best in town! (i call it first)