Oakland news and notes 2018

Chronicle reports that Farmhouse Kitchen is expanding to JLS. They will have two branches in Oakland then (Daughter Thai).

Tay Ho
344 12th St., Oakland
510-836-6388
TayHo-Oakland.com
Hours: Tue.–Sat. 11 a.m.–4 p.m., 5:30–9 p.m.; Sun. 11 a.m.–5 p.m.
Cash, all major credit cards

Sample Menu
House special bánh cun … $10.95
Bánh kht … $12
Kon Tum beef salad … $15
Coconut catfish curry … $16
Ch cá lã vng … $19

My local dinner haunt, Benchmark Pizzeria in Kensington, is expanding into the old Desco space (499 9th Street). Expected to open this summer. They’ll have a full bar here!

1 Like

Does anyone know if Dyafa is serving dinner type dishes yet? Its says its open for dinner, but I only heard media coverage about them serving lunch and Reem’s-type dishes initially.

According to SF Eater, Reem’s Dyafa is starting dinner service tonight, Friday April 27. I haven’t been there yet.

hmmmph, getting pricier at the JLS space…! The Shakriyah/ mansaf is $32, more than double the mansaf at Santa Clara Holyland! but then again Holyland has no ambiance to speak of.

$42 a main is pretty steep. Yes its a whole fish. But that’s getting into star territory.

3 of 6
The braised lamb shank at Dyafa in Oakland is covered in gremolata, sliced almonds and slivers of fried garlic, which provide delicious tang and crunch to the overall dish. (Jessica Yadegaran/Bay Area News Group)

1 Like

excerpts:

To that end, Community Foods customers using SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) can receive a 50% discount on qualifying fruits and vegetables owing to a partnership with Market Match, a statewide program administered by the Berkeley Ecology Center.

Community Foods will also partner with Fresh Life Foundation as a programmatic arm of the store, providing health services like diabetes screening, nutrition and dietary counseling, and asthmatic-related services for children and seniors. Ahmadi has also begun talks with Children’s Hospital Oakland and LifeLong Medical Care about making even more health services available in store.

There will also be a prepared foods section and a neighborhood café called The Front Porch, which will open one hour earlier and close one hour later than the grocery store. The Front Porch will function as both café and venue, with live music, guest speakers, movie showings and an array of events paired with dinner programs.

1 Like

excerpts:

It’s also the most visually stunning fast-casual restaurant I’ve seen in the Bay Area, with high ceilings, a marble-topped bar, modern light fixtures that resemble matcha tea whisks, intricately patterned tiles, and a sophisticated combination of white, pale wood, and copper. The occasional pop from a brightly colored stool keeps it fun, while a massive, black-and-white photograph of India’s famed Chandni Chowk market nods to Mitra’s roots.

The tamil lamb curry, whether served inside a dosa or ladled on top of rice, was even more explosive in flavor. I adored the richness of the spices and the sweetness from the coconut milk, and the chunks of grass-fed lamb were cooked perfectly.

dosa by DOSA
2301 Broadway, Oakland
510-285-6823

Hours: Mon.–Thu. 8 a.m.–9:30 p.m., Fri. 8 a.m.–10 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m.–10 p.m., Sun. 9 a.m.–9:30 p.m.
Cash, all major credit cards

Sample Menu
Tamil lamb rice bowl … $13.95
Butter chicken dosa … $12.95
Chennai fried chicken … $6.95
Hazelnut fudge … $2.95

excerpts-

Consider one recent lunch crawl: I started at three-month-old Nyum Bai, where chef-owner Nite Yun chronicles her Cambodian heritage through dishes like banana blossom salad jolted with mint and lime and machoo kroeung (water spinach, eggplant, and spare ribs marinated in an intense herb paste, all adrift in tamarind beef broth); Yun’s parents fled the Khmer Rouge’s genocidal rule in the 1970s and eventually settled in California’s Central Valley.

Yun’s restaurant sits yards from Reem’s California, Reem Assil’s bakery with its controversial mural and its wonderful takes on Middle Eastern flatbreads like Lebanese man’oushe. Yun and Assil both received mentorship from La Cocina, a Bay Area nonprofit kitchen incubator that focuses on helping female immigrants launch businesses, and a similar mission can be found in their own approaches. Assil told Eater SF last year that Oakland is “the closest to home that I’ve ever felt as a child of immigrants. As someone who’s struggled to feel like I belonged at home, I want to recreate that for myself and for people.”

After meals at Nyum Bai and Reem’s I drifted a mile west to International Boulevard, Fruitvale’s main thoroughfare; a center of the Mexican-American community for decades, it’s where I hopped from taqueria to taqueria, scarfing down some of the finest tacos in the United States (including one, Taqueria El Paisa@.com, whose chopped-to-order presentation of tongue and tripe and cabeza — cow’s head meat — rivaled the best I’ve had in Tijuana).

1 Like

Some lower profile openings:

Pupusas Salvadorenas a few blocks south of Fruitvale Village

Maejoo, in San Leandro

"…available only at the bakery proper, Wednesday through Saturday, for a scant couple of hours starting at around 9 a.m. "

Firebrand Artisan Breads
2343 Broadway (Near 24th St.), Oakland,
510-594-9213

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: [Oakland] dosa By DOSA

May 18, 19 and 20

HOURS: 10am-11pm Friday, 11am-11pm Saturday; 11am-9pm Sunday

WHERE: On the beautiful grounds of the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Ascension, 4700 Lincoln Avenue, Oakland hills, below Highway 13, (510) 531-3400

ADMISSION: Adults $6, Children 12 & under are free.

Free admission on Friday from 10am-2pm and on Sunday from 5pm to closing.

PARKING: Free parking at the Mormon Temple, Ability Now Bay Area (formerly Cerebral Palsy Center) and Head Royce School. See ‘Parking/Directions’ page

Crawfish and cajun food at Queen’s Cajun Seafood on Int’l Blvd.

1 Like

OMCA has a similar exhibit called Take Root: Oakland Grows Food on display around Oakland farms, now through January 13, 2019. Description below:

Unearth Oakland’s multi-layered world of food in Take Root: Oakland Grows Food, an exhibition exploring aspects of growing food in Oakland. Enjoy this hands-on exhibition with the entire family to understand what factors determine where, how, why, and what is grown throughout the city. Hear personal stories from farmers and growers within the community, see compelling illustrations and maps, and meet the diverse flavors of Oakland. Learn what motivations Oaklanders have for growing food—including access to healthy and delicious ingredients, environmental and social justice values, or simply the joy of tending a garden. Visitors are invited to share personal stories, explore interactive activities, and gain a deeper understanding of Oakland’s agriculture.

1 Like

Jonathan Kauffman

My column this week: How Fernay McPherson (temporarily) set aside her dreams of opening @minniesbells [fried chicken] in the Fillmore, and found near-instant success in an Emeryville food court

You might hit a paywall for the text of the SF Chronicle article but there is an available 12-minute audio clip of interviews of Fernay and her father including a history of the Fillmore District.