New 10-part season of Eat China, we’ll look at 10 different kinds of bao across China [Videos, Goldthread, Bao, China, Eat China]

Go anywhere in China, and you’ll encounter the bao, a Chinese word that describes buns, dumplings—basically anything with filling wrapped in dough. There are so many different kinds of bao in China that you could do a whole series about it.

And so we did. In this new 10-part season of Eat China, we’ll look at 10 different kinds of bao across China and show you how they’re made. Up first is xiaolongbao, Shanghai soup dumplings. Stay tuned!

4 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

I like but don’t love baozi. However I love properly made jaozi.

The series has been nominated for a Webby. If you’ve learned from and enjoyed this series, make your vote count!

1 Like

There’s very good close-up photography and a subtle jazz background music track in this episode -

1 Like

not bao but boba -

Not bao but handmade meatballs.

from YouTube:
The Chaoshan region in southern China is famous for its bouncy hand-pounded beef balls. They are made of only three ingredients — beef, salt, and ice. The region is dotted with small diners where you can see workers pounding beef with long stainless steel rods for hours and hours at the store front. We visited one shop in Shantou city that makes beef balls all year round for both local eaters and online customers across China.

Thanks Zippo for the links. I’m really enjoying them!

1 Like
1 Like

These are great! I am intrigued by the idea of a “flat wok”.