Near Abergavenny ?

Popping to Brecons for couple of days between Christmas and New Year. Probably twenty years since ate in that area.
The Walnut Tree looks at Llandewi Skirrid like it closes up for the Festive period.
Place called The Hardwick seems to get good write ups
http://www.thehardwick.co.uk/index.php
Any views ?
Seem to remember there was a decent place near Crickhowell but may well be misremembering !
Any thoughts welcome.
Cheers

Walnut Tree and the Hardwick would be my way to go.

I’ve long been a fan of Shaun Hill - the chef at the Walnut Tree - since he had a place in Ludlow. Really good Modern Brit stuff. The Hardwick was also a belter - it’s one of the very few places I’d describe as a “proper” gastro pub. Gastro food but you’re not going to be out of place if you’d just popped in a pint and packet of pork scratchings.

Caveat - both these dinners were 2011 but I doubt much has changed.

You’re only 25 miles from Hay on Wye, where we had a decent lunch at the Three Tuns. The village is worth visiting for the book shops but it’s not worth that schlep just to eat there).

Other side of the Brecons but there’s also the Felin Fach Griffin, although I visited quite a long time ago now. I’ve been more recently to the owners Cornish outposts and enjoyed them.

I’ve never been but family members rate The Hardwick.