Name that Gadget

The 16 and 20 count are sold out the 30 is available.
Or was it loose tea that you were looking for?

1 Like

Cool! Thanks so much. Iā€™m fine with bagged or loose tea. Weird that for some items, I will immediately look to online sources, while for other (such as tea), Iā€™ll only look in stores.

Now I just have to convince my wife to buy it. We have something on the order of 45 types of tea here, and sheā€™s loathe to add more. But ā€œhey we used to have thisā€ should be enough.

(As background, she and I just spent 3 hours going through the pantry and tossing stuff ā€œweā€™re never gonna useā€ and there were a lot of teas in that bucket.)

2 Likes

I bash the pom with a pestle holding it over a very big bowl in the sink. Must wear an apron and cover nearby things with old papers.

I keep the juices so I donā€™t submerge the pom in water like some people. Thatā€™s just wasting the juices.

1 Like

All threads transmorgrify, and the OP loses control the moment they post. Itā€™s the law.

2 Likes

I take my time it is a labour of love. Sometimes even wacking fairly hard as some are a little stubborn to come out.
Have not had a semi ripe one so your post is appreciated. Iā€™m sure that I will have an opportunity to use it.

1 Like

Yes, threads do evolve slightly.
Iā€™m ok with them going off topic a little as long as they return back to the original thread.
Sometimes a lot of knowledge is lost because one might not know to look there when searching for a specific topic.
I have noticed gentle reminders (on many threads) about veering off topic to gaining control of the thread and Iā€™m okay with that too.
The only time that I would not prefer to discuss a subject occurs when there is trash talk about professionalā€™s personal lives.

3 Likes

Name this gadget, please? Itā€™s getting donated, but I am curious. Iā€™ve had it in my kitchen drawer all these years, thinking it was for making shaved curls of chocolate to decorate cakes/cookies. Or to make decorative butter curls. Clearing that drawer today I tried to use it for either purpose, unsuccessfully.
Itā€™s marked Stainless steel Japan.

3 Likes

Believe it or not, someone designed this thing to hold a chunk-o-butter with which to butter your corn on the cob.

Give it a whirl and let us know if itā€™s better than a knife. I guess it helps prevent that ā€œbutter sliding over the cliff edgeā€ problem.

2 Likes

Silly me. We use these: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/corn-butter-spreader-push-type/672P2300.html?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=672P2300&utm_campaign=smallwares_connexity_pla

A plunger to push the butter through and a lid to store it in the fridge. Plus it can go in the dishwasher. Granted, white plastic doesnā€™t have the charm of an elegant silver or even stainless device.

2 Likes

Hah! My family were barbarians. Weā€™d just half-peel a stick and pass it around the table.

5 Likes

Mom used to give each of us a slab of butter to roll the corn in. But as I got older, I got more ā€œcivilizedā€ :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Life Hack - butter your corn - YouTube

This War Games clip always come to my mind when the topic of buttering corn comes up.

2 Likes

Wouldnā€™t you end up with Wonder Bread crumbs on your corn?

Someone stole my radish roser decades ago. It was sturdy aluminum. The notching end was very helpful for edging orange half bowls to hold jellos, cranberry molds and condiments. I used to make hundreds and it was a work horse. I sure would like it back.

I donā€™t think so. I tried it once back when the movie came out and I donā€™t remember that being an issue. The problem with the method is you have to have room temp butter which I rarely have. Iā€™m a barbarian and use same method CCE mentions above.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the beauty of the contraption I use . . . straight from the fridge to the table.

Growing up dad insisted butter be cold (if he knew it could be frozen, thatā€™s what we probably would have used). So the bread method would be a definite no.

I just plop a stick on a saucer and rotate the ear on the top . . .

Thanks for the help! As it happens, my husband doesnā€™t butter his corn on the cob so this will be Mine, All Mine! At least until August and local sweet corn season when I can try it out, then donate it. Talk about a one-purpose kitchen toolā€¦

3 Likes