My failing no knead bread- why??

The one in the original post that Bittman posts with the video with Lahey.

Thereā€™s definitely a lot of strings of dough sticking to the bowl.

I will try that. I skipped the proofing.

The flour is Central Milling Organic Unbleached All-purpose Flour. I believe the protein level is 11.5%. I would think that this type of flour should be good for this bread?

The pot is a Staub with a very heavy pot cover. I believe that cover should be tight, and that human error shouldnā€™t be an issue over 3 triesā€¦

Itā€™s not the yeast. If the yeast rises once, itā€™ll rise twice. If it came out the same size it went in then you didnā€™t rise it the second time. If the yeast is active & does itā€™s thing, the rest is just physics.

Compare with brand-new yeast packet. I buy my yeast in bricks, and store it in the fridge. As it ages, Iā€™ve noticed I need a little more to get the same action. A tiny pinch of sugar in the water will also give the bugs a little boost.

Lahey also says the proofing is optional, so heā€™s all about minimalism.

Also, have you considered your rise and proof temperatures? Iā€™ve always tried to do both where I would be comfy in a t-shirt.

Aloha,
Kaleo

Probably few people have done as much trial and error with no knead as I have. Easily I had 30 tries before I got it acceptable (for the love of bread, I guess.) The first thing I would suspect is overhydration. Youā€™ll still get stringy, sticky dough with too much water. Second thing is to make sure when it rises after shaping, itā€™s not too short or too long. It was just trial and error for me to figure it out. When I make slashes in the bread, I can feel if itā€™s right at that point. I kind of can tell now by how it feels, too (careful, be very gentle.) Definitely wasnā€™t easy to get the hang of.

Even when you do get it right, itā€™s a different kind of bread, you may not even realize you got it right. I purchased an instant thermometer to make sure. It might take you a while to accept it as every day bread. We have a local bakery with high-hydration, flavor-developed Ciabatta that is very similar, so I still canā€™t get my family to accept it as anything other than Ciabatta-ish. Also, Lahey and Five-minute Artisan are very similar. I use the Lahey dough for recipes in the 5-minute Artisan book all the time. Lastly, I am currently in the anti-refrigeration camp for large loaves. Refrigeration makes it easier to handle, but I personally think it affects the rise ā€“ both after shaping and in the oven ā€“ especially for large rounds. Lots of more talented bakers than me disagree, though.

4 Likes

One great variable is measuring by volume. You could try weighing your ingredients. I use the recipe that Clotilde of chocolateandzucchini.com figured out:
470 g flour
350 g water
10 g salt
0.8 g instant yeast.
If you wish to vary the amounts later, at least you know what youā€™re working with.

2 Likes

Let us know if you try again.

Also, you can jot down the brand of flour (and even yeast) in your dough log. Additionally, I use Active Dry Yeast with no issue.

Edit: I looked at my ratios. The chocolateandzucchini recipe is actually lower than Iā€™ve ever seen. I just started a batch based on those ratios out of curiosity. My instincts tell me it canā€™t self-knead with such little water. The original Lahey recipe (volume based, 3 cups flour) has far too much water for me. I always think of 1 cup flour = 128g flour. The weight measurements Bittman gives in his fine-tuning are pretty much exactly what I use.

Zucchini itself will add a lot of moisture.

Oh, the blog is called Chocolate & Zucchini, thereā€™s no zucchini in the actual recipe.

1 Like

This. Iā€™ve made it about a hundred times now and every time itā€™s a different bread and a new lesson :punch:

Good thing is that mine (always a sourdough and contains various amounts of rye) looks and tastes a lot like sourdoughs I eat in Germany. The partner loves every loaf but I say thereā€™s room for improvement (just like everything else).

PS: the slashing part is hard!

The chocolate & zucchini recipe works out to about 74% hydration. The earlier and later no-knead recipes work out to 100% or 92% hydration, taking 1 cup of flour to be 128 g. So how did your experiment turn out? I myself usually make a sourdough version, so my memory of the yeast version is fairly indistinct.

It was so wrong, I attribute it to user error. It had hardly self-kneaded. All I had on hand was a super-budget all-purpose flour. Iā€™ll try again with a higher quality, higher protein flour I usually use, like King Arthur or Trader Joeā€™s. And my scale sometimes doesnā€™t weigh small quantities correctly, so the yeast quantity may have been too much (affects flavor.)

Well, I have some King Arthurā€™s bread flour now, so I guess Iā€™ll try the standard recipe again. Iā€™ll try with 92% hydration.

IMO 92% hydration is too high for this bread to bake up well as a boule. I believe the version I used when I was introduced to this method called for 1.5 cups of water (12 oz) to 3 cups of flour. The accepted weight of a cup of flour varies from source to source - King Arthur recommends 4.25 oz, Cookā€™s Illustrated says 5 oz. If Iā€™m using a recipe from a source that has its own recommendation, I use that measurement, but if no weight equivalent is listed I generally go with CIā€™s recommendation, and thatā€™s what I did with the no knead recipe. So, 15 oz of flour to 12 oz of water is 80% hydration, and I have always had success at that level. In my experience you can even go as low as 70-75% hydration and still get away with no kneading, although I generally do at least a few slap and folds at that level.

92-100% hydration has you in focaccia or ciabatta territory, where the dough will be so wet that it simply wonā€™t form a boule or other loaf shape - it will just spread into a puddle. This is fine if you want a ciabatta, but you will have to alter the baking time/temp/vessel to get it to turn out appropriately.

Yup, thatā€™s what I had to do this time. Whenever I end up with a soupy mess because gluten doesnā€™t form for whatever reason, itā€™s ciabatta time. Higher temp, no need for dutch oven or steam, otherwise by the time crust forms, inside will be overbaked.

75% hydration, more or less, is what I used to use. But this discussion prompted me to look at the new Bittman/Lahey video, and it appears that they call for 92%. Of course, my calculations may be wrong. But did you see the way the dough plopped out of the plastic container that Lahey had it in? If I end up with a dough that is completely impossible to work with, i.e., fold, then I can always add more flour.

I hadnā€™t watched the new video until just now, but they used 4 cups of flour (2.66 white and 1.33 whole wheat) and 2 cups of water. If you use a 5 oz cup of flour, thatā€™s 20 oz flour and 16 oz water or 80% hydration. IMO the dough they show is much closer to 80% than 92%, so my guess is that they go with a 5 oz cup. A 92% hydration dough will be much, much soupier than that.