Mulled wine (warm or hot), any good recipe?

We are going to do a barbecue dinner this Friday (yes in winter!) While waiting for the cooking, I think it would be nice to offer an option for a warm drink. I have never made a mulled wine before, does anybody has a good recipe, which type of wine should be used? Thanks.

I have a project to make Gluhwein this Christmas, which is german style mulled wine. Here is the recipe:

Choose the cheapest red you can find that won’t kill you (i.e.: that you can drink). I believe mulled wine was a way of transforming wine that spoiled by dumping a ton of sugar and spices in it. I would not go as far as choosing the cheapest thing on the shelf (I do have some standards) but you are supposed to use really cheap stuff in this.

Each culture has their mulled wine. In Quebec, we transformed wine that didn’t ship properly by making a mulled wine called Caribou!

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the recipe, turned out the night we had dinner wasn’t that cold and friends wanted to tried out red wines they bought.

I’ll sure try it out. I need to get some cardamom pods, I only have green cardamom powder right now.

You are right about the choice of wine, need to be at least something that is drinkable. One time I got my cooking spoiled by a cheapo, wierd strong taste red wine.

No problem!

Don’t hesitate to give me feedback if you try it!

I’m going to try the recipe between christmas and now year’s eve. i’m also thinking of trying an eggnog recipe in a slow cooker.

Hi, naf:

I have a Bavarian friend, Susen, whose Gluhwein recipe always pleases. I’m also including her Sherry Bundt cake prep that is killer with the wein.

Gluhwein

2L red wine
1/4L fruit brandy (Obstler, if you’re serious)
1 pot freshly-brewed black tea
Juice of 4 fresh oranges
Juice of 3 fresh lemons
1.5-2 Cups of sugar (i.e., to taste)
2-3 cinnamon sticks

Heat wine, tea, juices, sugar and cinnamon. DO NOT BOIL
Add brandy, reheat and serve.

Cake (scratch works, but this is easy)

1 box yellow cake mix
1 large box instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
3/4 Cup canola oil
3/4 Cup sherry
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix all ingredients and beat for a FULL 3 minutes (this may seem excessive, but is THE secret that makes this prep stand out). Pour into greased Bundt pan, and bake in center of oven until done–for 50-55 minutes in most ovens.

Mele Kalikimaka a me Hau’oli Makahiki Hou,
Kaleo

1 Like

Thanks kaleokahu.

Which black tea will you recommend? I believed that the taste can change a lot with the type of tea used. I have Chinese tea Pu Erh at home…
Thanks.

THANK YOU!

I’ve been obsessed with Gluhwein since visiting berlin and this seemed to be a good recipe! We don’t have obstler in Quebec but I’ll adjust with an apple or pear schnapps or brandy close to 40%…

Hmm… I have a very nice Calvados, Kirsh, a fine french mandarine liqueur, peach schnapps…

I think I’ll use the calvados…

Wouldn’t Pu Erh be a bit too fine and / or a bit too earthy for that? (I’m not a tea fanatic but I do have a friend who collects and ages Pu Erh disks at home and I would not dare put his precious tea in a gluhwein experiment. :smiley: )

I’m not a tea expert, by any means, so I wouldn’t want to point you the wrong way.

Here are a couple photos to whet your appetite (at least in a historical sense. The first is an ale/wine “slipper”, the toe of which is slipped into your hearth’s fire.

The second is of my mulling iron (which Julia Child called a “Buffalo Iron”)

I mostly use the iron for quickly bringing blanches back to the boil.

Aloha,
Kaleo

1 Like

you can see her talk about the buffalo iron here!

1 Like

The Pu Erh I have is an affordable one. But I’m thinking it’s more the “distinctive” taste that can ruin the balance.

Very impressive the iron! Didn’t know this tool and @Captcrunch thx for the video, well explained.

I’m reading a bit on mulled wine and punch and want to know the difference, some said the recipes with tea are Punsch.

I find out on this German website the definition. http://www.mdr.de/mdr-thueringen/gluehwein124.html

Unterschied zwischen Punsch und GlĂĽhwein

Der Unterschied ist ganz einfach. Für Glühwein wird ausschließlich Wein verwendet, während Punsch immer eine Spirituose enthält. Außerdem stammt der Punsch ursprünglich aus Indien. Hierzulande wird oft auch ein Mix aus Säften ud Gewürzen als Punsch bezeichnet. Der Glühwein ist ein traditionelles europäisches Getränk.

(Click on the globe icon for translation)

Thanks, Captcrunch:

I may have seen that before, but this is the first time I realized she had a washer and dryer in her kitchen?

Also, she needed lessons with chopsticks, no?

Aloha,
Kaleo

Made this mulled wine a few weeks ago, pretty good. Bought this package of spices from Provins (France). Used it with a Burgundy wine.

Hypocras from Provins

Spices 15g
cinnamon
cardamom
galangal
roses from Provins
mace
ginger
green anise
clove
seeds of Paradise
badine
pepper
juniper

Add spice to a bottle of red wine 750ml and infuse for a day. Filter the wine.

Add 70g rose honey to the wine if you can find it. I used floral honey and rose syrup.

Add 40g brown sugar and some lemon juice. Possiblity to serve after a few hours. Conserve in fridge up to 3 months.

Approximately: “The difference is simple. For Glühwein just wine is used, while Punsch always has some type of hard liquor in it. Also, Punsch is originally from India. Around here [Thuringia?], a mixture of juices and spices is often called Punsch. Glühwein is a traditionally European drink.”

In addition to the main spices, I add pomegranate or pomegranate juice.