More Chowhound Shenanigans

I’m also a gal, maybe we need a male and female spatula tag!!

1 Like

Spatula/spatulo?

2 Likes

Ok, but then what about transgender?

My spatula flips both ways and then some!

5 Likes

Spatuloa.

Although it is not for me to say how a transgendered flipping device might define itself.

3 Likes

37 posts were split to a new topic: Smarties and candies

They don’t vet ads; mods have no control over what’s posted. They can only respond afterward to complaints, if they feel like doing something, they will.

but come on – a first grader could see that these are a desperate grab to stay afloat, as even a first-grader knows that night creams and furniture and cars aren’t food-related, so probably not a terribly successful revenue generator – any more than the popup ads for everything under the sun that just leave me uttering profanity under my breath.

I just checked out Chow for the first time in at least the past two + weeks. There were 6 updated topics, meaning threads I was involved in that had new activity. On my old home board, now the New Jersey tag, there were no new topics in 2+ weeks!?!?!

It really does seem like a ghost town. Someone responded to a thread I started so I responded, but other than that there was -0- to keep or capture my interest. Amazing…the entire process we all witnessed just amazes me.

3 Likes

According to alexa.com and trafficestimate.com, traffic to the site is way up since Aug 15, much of it was hullabaloo and protests, early on, but it continues to rise.

so people are going, but not posting.

Right…Obviously the site still has much to offer, but it’s obvious the direction is to keep traffic up, while keeping the boards somewhat quiet.

They are set up to drive traffic from referral clicks from google and links in other web sites. Not attracting participants, just folks clicking around elsewhere. All that steeply increased traffic is not creating vibrant, sustained discussions nor content of any value, so far.

Yes, they have been doing a good job of pushing their content through social media.

I think I’ve looked at the modifications all wrong. I keep telling myself it doesn’t make sense for Chowhound to add all these tags from a user perspective. Well maybe it doesn’t but if you do it as a way to leverage your threads through social media you kinda see what they’ve been doing.

For example, I saw this twitter in my feed not long ago:

To my surprise, it lead to a thread I was posting in:

Now I don’t mind if you use my posting to generate traffic. I post because I enjoy talking about it and because I like to help people as well as I can. More traffic = more discussions.

Where I mind is when you use my posts to generate publicity but you lock the posts criticising your website and move them to “the great black hole”. Doesn’t give me the incentive to continue helping you.

3 Likes

Those tags that have driven so many crazy and away from CH are also used by unvetted sellers who are willing to pay for the privilege of targeting eyeballs via tags for very specific messaging purposes. That’s the whole reason for destroying the CH community.

It’s all done, even the mods aren’t doing or saying much any more.

Just so glad to be with everyone on HO.

2 Likes

They may have hit a tipping point in the past couple of days. Site Feedback has had barely any posts, actually since Thanksgiving. So, for readers not coming from external direct links, there’s not even enough content there to follow. Five posts in SFBA, but that’s about normal these days.

Yeah but on the Montreal board we lost a lot of people. It sucks.

There also seem to be another site called food talk central? I don’t know if I should post there as well.

Oh well, we’ll see.

FTC is highly west coast focused. If that’s your thang, check it out.

1 Like

I’ll see. I’ll finish updating the Montreal forum here and might migrate some of the post that are popular here there to see that type of discussion it can generate…

Yeah, I registered on FTC a little after I joined here. I check it out occasionally, but have yet to even post there. It’s 95% LA. The other 5% is a mishmash of SF, cooking, drinks. I find this site much more active and diverse. Still not what CH was in its heyday, but the CH’s heyday is in the rearview mirror.

8 Likes