More Chowhound Shenanigans

The thing is, sometimes pros fail to adhere to the cardinal rule: Share don’t shill. When that happens, it tends to leave a bad taste in the mouths of many. Sam’s new, dedicated board may help alleviate that some.

1 Like

Sshh… You weren’t supposed to tell him…

Post counts would be much higher.

I agree with Jim Leff that though there was a rout of users (for many reasons), a few corner mice have come to play and new members have been asking the same old questions. Though it’s quieter, there is some good stuff still happening at Chowhound.

Fine, call me a cheerleader, or brown-noser even (though I think I’ve made some damn good arguments against some of the truly hare-brained changes). I just don’t think they are using employees to create posts or replies.

Sooooooooo how about a NotJrvedivici board !!! :smile:

…was only a matter of time :smile:

2 Likes

Great idea. I loved exchanging ideas with some of the chefs at CH. This happened mostly for me on the COTM threads, where many chefs came forward when they heard, one way or another, that it was their cookbook we were cooking through for a month.

It was such an exclusive insight into their cooking rationale and helped us immensely to understand the whys of what they were trying to create. . Also the exchange brought even the most famous down to a human and personal level.

4 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Post last update date is off?

That is true, Harters. To me, “chow” reads Southern US, or as something one feeds to non-human animals (such as hounds). I was on chowhound mostly to provide info about the neighbourhood where I live in Montréal, near the Jean-Talon Market and its many offerings. I still look at it, but there are far fewer posters, and no real action on this board. And no, there isn’t really an equivalent in French - mostly just blogs. And the local Eater page, which is skewed mostly towards restaurants and bars - I’m more interested in ingredients for home cooking.

lagatta, it’s France-based, but you might have a look at marmiton.org, 750g.com, or supertoinette.com – I lurked for years on those three when I lived over there, and still use them a lot for recipes.

Supertoinette starts to drift more toward gossip and blah-blah, but the other two have some good conversations.

Zilch about Canada that I ever saw, though -

1 Like

Yes, I certainly frequent those French boards, with your caveat about supertoinette. Thanks. But I’m also looking for places to provide and ask for info about shops, restaurants and cafés here in Mtl.

I’m also a gal, maybe we need a male and female spatula tag!!

1 Like

Spatula/spatulo?

2 Likes

Ok, but then what about transgender?

My spatula flips both ways and then some!

5 Likes

Spatuloa.

Although it is not for me to say how a transgendered flipping device might define itself.

3 Likes

37 posts were split to a new topic: Smarties and candies

They don’t vet ads; mods have no control over what’s posted. They can only respond afterward to complaints, if they feel like doing something, they will.

but come on – a first grader could see that these are a desperate grab to stay afloat, as even a first-grader knows that night creams and furniture and cars aren’t food-related, so probably not a terribly successful revenue generator – any more than the popup ads for everything under the sun that just leave me uttering profanity under my breath.

I just checked out Chow for the first time in at least the past two + weeks. There were 6 updated topics, meaning threads I was involved in that had new activity. On my old home board, now the New Jersey tag, there were no new topics in 2+ weeks!?!?!

It really does seem like a ghost town. Someone responded to a thread I started so I responded, but other than that there was -0- to keep or capture my interest. Amazing…the entire process we all witnessed just amazes me.

3 Likes

According to alexa.com and trafficestimate.com, traffic to the site is way up since Aug 15, much of it was hullabaloo and protests, early on, but it continues to rise.

so people are going, but not posting.