(Montreal) La Prunelle

We had an excellent dinner at La Prunelle, a reasonably small BYOB place with an interesting menu. Although we came fully prepared with both a bottle of white (Sancerre) and a bottle of red (Vacqueras), we only drank the white based on what we ate. My wife started with oysters, which were fresh and clean, while I had their version of beef tartar. This preparation (remember - I said the menu was interesting) came on 3 large oyster shells & had oyster “emulsion” (juice) under the meat. Open minded as I am (I’ll try almost anything), I ate it & was impressed. For mains, my wife had gnuddi made with feta cheese in a thickened tomato “sauce”. This was a big winner. I had the duck special, which was quite good as well. We shared a dessert, which was right up there on the inventive scale with the other dishes. It was a cheesecake that integrated cepes (mushrooms) into the creamy cake. It was excellent, and we loved that it wasnt a very sweet dessert. I believe that they also have a squash or pumpkin cake on the menu, but we didnt have room for 2 desserts. All in, with tip, it came to CA$150 (plus our own wine). In my opinion, well worth it and a place we may return to later in the month.

7 Likes

Really enjoying these reports. It’s been decades since we last visited Montreal and reading about your meals is piquing my interest.

3 Likes

You just hit a major item in Montreal!

Few people know this but we have great BYOB!

1 Like

Etat Major et Tandem already reserved.

1 Like

Just to add: Tandem is an odd place for BYOB since the menu is fixed by the chef (5, 7 or 9 courses) and unknown to the diners walking in. Lucky we’re battle ready and have multiple wine carriers to take with us.

In Boston, we basically don’t have the option. There a few neighborhoods where it is permitted, but the majority of restaurants are prohibited. From the Boston.gov website:

Restaurants in the Downtown, North End, South End, Bay Village, Fenway, Chinatown, Seaport, West End, Beacon Hill and Back Bay neighborhoods of Boston are not eligible for a BYOB permit.