Misen vs Mercer knives

Hi Olunia,

I do want you to enjoy your purchase–and price should never be the deciding difference any way.

It’s just that an apparent “bargain” price was what prompted you to buy this knife.

Mercer culinary does a great job in offering amazing quality at low price for those comfortable with maintenance obligations–like culinary workers. The Wusthof knives you own are more expensive, but less demanding for edge retention maintenance: you can get by easier at home. Such a difference between your Mercer and Wusthof knives edge retention may not be noticed right away, but if you’re a heavy enough user, you’ll notice:

1 Like

Appreciate your feedback. Zum, Genesis and Renaissance have different handles. Do you like that Genesis handle? A tad softer and a tad less slippy I assume.

1 Like

They are beautiful knives especially the handle designs.
The Kiwi knives caught me off guard this brand I had seen before.
It was just my poor attempt at joking with you.

I had a ten inch Dexter with a curved blade. It was terrific, but the scalloped edge wore out surprisingly fast. I was all set to replace it with the $29 Tojiro, which garners glowing reviews, but got seduced by the olive handle on an 8" Au Sabot from Flotsam and Fork. It is the best serrated edge I have ever used. In fact it is so good I really do not miss the extra two inches.

I always have a soft spot for Dexter because they are (usually) made in US. I wish they offer more than one steel though. All stainless steel knives are based on one steel and it is relatively soft. I suppose it is the same for Victorinox too. Though, Victorinox enjoys a slightly higher reputation

2 Likes

+2 on that comment Tim, so very kind of you to say that Thank You !

Gosh, I cannot wait to find out who is RIGHT here.

What’s that about Misen vs. Mercer knives? Both brands seem to inspire endless pissing contests. Maybe look into different brands :rofl:

1 Like

Ha. I don’t think there was any pissing contests between the two brands of knives.

The first pissing match is about should or should not a person buy a new knife – is it justified.
And then the last match pissing match was about does Marco White has anything to share with home cooks and professional cooks.
:rofl:

Marco or Mario? In the heat of the shouting match peeps got confused. Perhaps shoulda stuck to the topic at hand :wink:

1 Like

Definitely I have some typos there. The fingers just so naturally typed Mario instead of Marco.

I nominate my $15 knives as valiant beaters.

4 Likes

Hi Olunia,

Buying a kitchen knife is very personal–and it’s a process.

It always starts with your needs–and some “hands on” experiences.

For needs, identify the “gap” in your batterie that you’re trying to fill–or the knife you’re hoping to replace. Also, the price range you’re willing to spend–your subjective expected utility.

There are places that will allow you to cut up a few carrots. When I first started to develop my batterie, and did some hands on, I discovered that I hated the bump at the end of the handles. That personal quirk eliminated more than half of the knives I was considering, and played a big part in my ultimately choosing a Wusthof Classic Ikon Chef’s knife.

I’m certain that there are others who would only consider kitchen knives with that bump–or some specific kind of bolster–or weight–or balance point.

However, the Wusthof Classic Ikon Chef’s knife retail price at the store was almost double my willingness to spend. So I kept looking around. It took about six months before I found one for $100–delivered. I still like mine very much, but glad I took the time to think it through and get the value right.

My experiences have led me away from softer steel knives like Misen and the Mercers that have not focused on the home cook, but I have always gotten nosebleeds just looking at the prices of many established brands with harder steel.

On the other hand, having a knife that stays extremely sharp under our home cook user conditions for a long long time with minimal maintenance is addictive for me.

I’ve now segregated most of my softer steel knives with a honing steel to use on the spot from my other grabbable knives that don’t need that kind of attention.

I’d never recommend a specific brand or a specific knife for any one else–or even myself. Among the knives I have purchased, there are European, Japanese, Chinese, and American knives purchased at prices from under $10 to over $200.

Ray

I have a 6” Wusthof that I’ve used for a long time. Nice knife but the Misen 8” was an upgrade, about 3 years ago. Paid $55 on sale. Holds an edge well. Really like it after I got use to it.

re: Made in China… lots of stuff is made in China and the quality is dictated by the brand and manufacturer. Apple iPhones are made in China and they usually outlast other brands in durability and quality. That’s the design and manufacturing process…not where it’s made.

In any case, looking for someone to sharpen the Wusthof and ran into this thread.

Objections to MIC products are not usually objections based on quality or value. They relate more to one’s feelings about the PRC, which are easy to oversimplify, or about MiUSA, which is pretty straightforward.

4 Likes

Exactly my opinion.

It’s impossible to boycott all products made in China (MIC), as so many spare parts for products are MIC.

I’m not a fan of the political regime in China and the way they run things, so I try to limit the number of products I buy from China. Same with Russia and a few other countries.

I do own an iPhone and I know very well it’s made in China, but the brand behind is still American.
I would never in my life own a Chinese made Huawei phone. This brand is Chinese through and through.

As a cookware enthusiast I have the choice to buy what I want and what I like. So I try my best to avoid cookware made in China. Simple as that. I do sometimes make a mistake, for instance when I bought two Zwilling Pro frying pans, which I 100% thought were made by Demeyere.
Unfortunately they turned out to be MIC. I still own the pans and they perform great. But it was a mistake buying them since they are MIC.

With that said I still find Misen to be a pseudo brand.

Made in China iPhone is different than Made in China kitchen knives. Made in China kitchen knives are like 90% made in China. Made in China iPhone is assembled in China. Many key components are not necessary from China.

Even for the iPhone assembler company Foxconn. Yes, the factories are in China, but Foxconn is a Taiwanese company. I think comparing iPhone made in China vs Misen made in China is a bit over-blurring some key differenes.

2 Likes

What can I say, Chemicalkinetics ?!?

You’ve said it all and I agree - once again - 100% with your intelligent and wise words.

1 Like

Just stock your kitchen with old, heavy, tinned copper, DeBuyer carbon steel, Thiers-Issard knives, Pillivuyt, Apilco, old Mason-Cash or TJ Green bowls, various Matfer Bougeat tools and molds, and Robot Coupe. Your wallet will have been completely emptied for the benefit of Europe and the UK! You will be a happy but broke anachronism.

4 Likes

Well, a small sidetrack question… I have been bombarded with DeBuyer copper cookware ads.
Copper Cookware | de Buyer USA (debuyer-usa.com)
Anyone?

You can object. I get it. But all those multinational and American corporations manufacture a LOT of stuff in China, you name it…and make a nice profit off it. If you use Amazon guess what? MIC…most of it. I don’t Amazon and never had…but that’s another story reason.

Yes, China has human right issues…but so does the US. The US is THE international arms dealer to the world and uses the most resources per capita than any other country. The US is not pure on any of it. Globalization was an idea brought on by the big consulting firms (McKinsey) and US and multinationals have made a killing.

So yeah…MIC. Right.