Mid-Atlantic/[Annapolis] [Arlington] nightly specials/happy hours

I hope the Philadelphia posters won’t mind that the DC Metro area is now tucked in with Philadelphia as the new “Mid-Atlantic” board.
I have been pursuing nightly specials from Annapolis south to Chesapeake Beach and some of my favorites are the Tuesday Prime Rib Special at Dockside in Deale and the Happy Hour (3-6 M-F) special on steamed mussels at Ketch 22 at North Beach as well as the Happy Hour (3-6 M-F) special steamed mussels at Skippers Pier in Deale. The outer dock bar at Skipper’s is one of the cooler spots I have visited, I will have to get a picture of it eventually. It is a small bar/cafe area about 100’ out on the end of a pier. Perfect for the beautiful vistas of Rockhold Creek during the golden hour before sunset.
The prime rib at Dockside is good not great and at $32 it isn’t a bargain but it really hits the spot. I have it with the steamed spinach when it is available, the chef has a light touch with the spinach and it is a treat here.

Any other enjoyable specials or happy hours other HO’s care to share would be greatly appreciated! I spent a lot of years in Arlington VA so I may be posting favorites from Northern Virginia, too.
1 Like

Annapolis favorites include Vin, Red Red Wine, the Boathouse, and we have a big fan of Dockside for crab cakes.
We spend time below Chesapeake Beach in Cove Point, near Solomons, and I’ve been surveying the restaurants around there, and especially the waterside places in St. Mary’s County. That’s probably a longer drive than you want after a successful Happy Hour, but you really should take a look at pier 450 in Ridge, where an old restaurant, marina, and motel have been done up very nicely, so you can spend the night – and the next day walk over to Courtney’s for the rockfish stuffed with crab – one of the best seafood dishes I’ve eve tasted.

1 Like

My old favorites in Annapolis includes the Boathouse as well. I was there for a happy hour last week and the fried fish (grouper?) on ciabatta was outstanding. I just discovered the back bar there after going there for years and eating at the front bar or, of late, outside in the parking lot. Well, the parking lot is back and the place was packed. When I looked in the door and saw the front bar was standing room only, I started to turn around to leave and the hostess asked if I wanted to check the “bar out back”. I may be late to the party but I like the back bar area best. It is a bit quieter and kind of calmer, somehow.
Another spot in Eastport that is good for fried food, seasonally, (all the seating is outside at picnic tables) is Wild Country off Second near the Maritime Museum. Wild Country does a really good Rockfish sandwich and their hushpuppies are really good too. I also like their fried jumbo shrimp. Very old school. No happy hour, though.
https://www.wildcountryseafood.com/menu/
I am kind of middle brow in my outlook and when I saw Vin, I was thinking, maybe not… Then I looked at their menu and saw several things that looked really good. Starting with the simple olives and almonds, working over the to the shrimp etouffee and then the cast iron skirt steak… That looks interesting and it is a bit closer to me than my usual hangout in Eastport, Davis’ Pub. I will probably check out Vin before I get down to Courtney’s but they are both on my radar now. Thank you!
Courtney’s looks like it might be worth a spring time drive. I will check that out.

1 Like

See my blog post on Courtney’s and the comments – jontannnersbbqblog. Courtney’s is truly wonderful but it’s very, very slow.
Our co-grandparents live in Annapolis, and I’ll share the info about the back bar, see if they know about it. We get over there a few times a year, but we’re mostly in Southern Maryland. I’ll try Davi’s too.
Jerry’s Place (THE Jerry) in Prince Frederick is good, and the CD Cafe is the best of Solomons. St. Mary’s is full of real treasures. Indeed to do a summary post, pst of like my best places to eat near I-95 between Washington and Florida – after checking out some more places.
Oh, and I’ll definitely try Wild Country., and you may think you’re old school and middlebrow, but I get down pretty darn low.

1 Like

Happy Harbor in Deal on Monday evenings, oysters 50 cents a shuck.

2 Likes

Whoa! 50 cents. I’ll be there!

1 Like

It is also $6 burger night for non oyster eaters.

2 Likes

$6 for a burger, $6 per dozen. And perhaps a cold beer or two. That’s a deal!

1 Like