Mexican Food in Monmouth County

Do you mean Senor Peppers? Not expensive, but kind of averageish food, and not my favorite.

If I get a hankering it’s usually IMG or Long Branch for me.

La Esquina del taco…across from the old little kraut

http://www.redbankgreen.com/2013/12/red-bank-talking-tacos-en-ingles/

wow I want to give those chicharrón tacos a try

Nope. I’m going to check it out and will report back.

This place and fernandes 3 I have been trying to get to for years LOL

No love for LaTapatia and their mole?

Here you go.

@joonjoon if you had to pick a single taco, what would it be?

I’m not a taco connoisseur but I’ve been around lb and rb quite a bit. My top choice is the chorizo at linos. 4 tacos with a good grind and ample spice make this a nice 7.50 dish

1 Like

Not in Monmouth but just outside of it in Jamesburg/Monroe
Marias’ Taqueria…
Good stuff, Fresh Flavorful…owners are always there, very conscientious

Just one? Hmmm

I have to go with the al pastor from International Mexican Grocery smothered in yellow salsa.

What goes into yellow salsa?

We enjoy Juanitos in Red Bank…nice venue, good food at a very reasonable price. And always a plus, BYOB. If Freehold was closer we would opt for El Meson on West Main Street in Freehold Borough. We both feel their food is a notch above Juanitos. I love the chorizo burrito and my wife the vegetable quesadilla at both places.

@bbqboy I can tell you it’s not habanero; much less heat and an interesting and unique flavor.

1 Like

Googling seems to indicate it uses yellow tomatoes.

1 Like

Gah, this question is nearly impossible for me to answer. Actually it is impossible. There’s just something about tacos. Even if I count all the tacos I’ve eaten in California and Mexico I honestly can’t pick my all time favorite. I’m gonna just say this is a defect on my part.

The best I can do is tell you the most memorable taco I’ve ever had, which was the Al Pastor from El Rancho. It was so long ago that I can’t objectively judge it - it was my first authentic taco.

What about you? Any current absolute favorites?

@joonjoon

You, equal mark and tapas got me into real Mexican tacos a few years back. Thank you! Lol

If you are referring to El rancho in long branch, I’ve tried it a few times. It was OK but didn’t stack up to other tacos joints locally. I’m not putting them down, I just didn’t have great tacos. I would have to try some more styles before writing them off.

I don’t get to AP much so I can’t comment on the Mexican scene there.

If i had to pick my “go to” tacos I would say the chorizo tacos at Linos in RB. They are delicious! I love these things! They are spiced well, the sausage grind is awesome and not course/gritty. It is very fine blend with good paprika seasoning. I like sitting next to the rotisserie fire and having a few brews when it’s cold out. You get 4 tacos for 7.50. If you sweet talk the senoritas they will give you a basket of chips and salsa. The salsa isn’t that great but for free I can’t complain. I jazz it up with some of their hot sauces. It’s kind of sweet for me so I heat it up. This is my winter taco spot for sure. That fire and hickory wood pit are speaking my language :slight_smile:

@bbqboy I’m not sure to be honest, but it goes well with the al pastor tacos. It doesn’t overpower the pineapple and cilantro. @seal mentioned these today so I got motivated to go pick some up

Chilling with the locals…

2 Likes

Looksgreat! where is this? what else is good here?

Probably everything. :slight_smile:

I’ve eaten at International Mexican Grocery at least two dozen times and I’ve never had anything except the al pastor. I usually get a half kilo to go and they throw in a bunch of tortillas and salsa. One of my favorite ways to enjoy this awesome meat is with eggs for breakfast.

Almost forgot, they are on Bridge Ave between Monmouth and Oakland in Red Bank.

1 Like

I do find the al pastor needs a tiny bit of salt but it’s really good off the spit. Have you tried the linos chorizo tacos? I’m a big fan as mentioned