Metro Detroit / Pat O'Brien's Tavern

This is a simple tavern, with a kitchen that has an excellent way with fish and seafood. It’s been in our “rotation” since my wife and I relocated our family to Detroit’s eastside suburbs, decades ago. We’ve celebrated many birthdays here. But also found our way, when we just wanted a good Lake Perch dinner. Or, Walleye. As you can see from the photos I’m sharing, French Onion Soup is nearly always included as our “starter”. It is that good.

Metro Detroit residents are blessed in having a score of fish houses to choose from for fresh water catch. From Wyandotte, downriver, to a score of road houses strung along Lake St. Clair and the St. Clair River, north to Port Huron; fish dinners rank up there with Pizza and Steak as a meal of choice on the eastside.

Our most recent visit to Pat O’Brien’s was to celebrate a co-birthday I was having, with a dear granddaughter. We brought 17 people in for our party, and were treated with exemplary service at every turn. My meal was very tasty—as always, but the memory I’m left with is how gracious the staff was to all of us.

http://www.pobtavern.com/

2 Likes

I’ve eaten the perch here, in sandwich form, and while it wasn’t cheap, it certainly was impressive. I wish that there’d been just one more piece of perch on the sandwich for the money I was paying, but what was there was terrific. They know how to do perch and do it well. If you’re going to make that your claim to fame, you’d better be able to deliver on that promise, and they certainly did.

I’d go for the perch dinner next time.

2 Likes