[Melbourne] Supernormal

Supernormal is an Asian fusion-y restaurant on Flinders Lane. It has a kind of vaguely Japanese vibe, with pocky vending machines and a Street Fighter 2 cabinet downstairs that was oddly loaded with another game. I went here for a solo lunch on a Saturday and was seated in the long bar in front of the open kitchen. Some items on the menu are available as half portions, which is nice as it allowed a solo diner like myself to try several things.

Menu

IMG_6245

Free Pumpkin Seeds

Kingfish, kohlrabi, citrus dashi (half portion) (A$8.5)
Good raw kingfish which tastes a bit like hamachi to me, with crispy slices of kohlrabi and a tart sauce.

Salt water duck, pickled quince & mustard oil (half portion) (A$9.5)
My server said that this was his favorite dish on the menu, and it was indeed very good. Tender duck with a good layer of fat and skin, brined in salt water and served in a sauce that was a little sweet and tart to cut through the fat, with a few sweet slices of quince. Interestingly colored oil.

Prawn & chicken dumplings, chilli & vinegar sauce (half portion) (A$8)
Very good, plump, well constructed. Nice slightly spicy sauce with some crunchy beans.

New England lobster roll (A$17)
A small lobster roll. In a soft sweet roll. The lobster filling was of the mayo based type. A good little sandwich with sweet lobster meat.

Gingerbread pudding, spiced quince & ricotta ice cream (A$16)
Dessert was a warm ginger cake served in the iron pan it was cooked in, with some chunks of quince embedded and a scoop of ice cream on the side. I scooped the ice cream onto the cake and let it melt. Very good.

Very nice lunch and excellent service.

5 Likes