Meat Heaven - The Excellent Brazilian BBQ of Grilled Bone-In Ribeye, Bottom Sirloin, Prime Top Sirloin, Bacon Wrapped Everything and More - Fogo de Chao (Beverly Hills) [Thoughts + Pics]

One of the more fun, celebratory meals you can experience around town would be excellent Churrascaria (or Brazilian Barbecue) at Fogo de Chao, with multiple locations, but their local flagship is the Beverly Hills branch, which is where we stopped by.

For those that may not know, Churrascaria / Brazilian BBQ, involves a large variety of various meats grilled over open flame & charcoal, and then gauchos (specialized meat cutters) will bring out a massive skewer from the flames to serve you a cut if you’re interested. You can politely decline that particular cut of meat if you’re looking for something else, and they will move on, and soon, another gaucho will show up with a different large skewer fresh off the flames, to offer you something else. Or, as Fogo de Chao states it: “Continuous tableside service of signature cuts of fire-roasted meat,” which is pretty accurate.

One very interesting note: Fogo de Chao is the only restaurant we know of since COVID-19 that has lowered their price since the pandemic started! :open_mouth: Before COVID-19, Fogo de Chao’s Lunch Brazilian BBQ (All-You-Can-Eat) hit ~$52.95 per person, IIRC (it was north of $50). They were hit with the lockdown and didn’t open for awhile. Currently, their Lunch Churrascaria offering is now only $44.95 per person! :open_mouth: With supply chain issues and everything being more expensive, that’s noteworthy! (@ipsedixit @paranoidgarliclover @chienrouge @BradFord @A5KOBE @Sgee and all.)

(Also, for the Churrasco, Continuous Tableside, All-You-Can-Eat Option, Kids 6 and Under eat FREE, and Kids 7 - 12 are Half Price - A nice touch for families looking to balance their budget.)

Before getting started with the meat bonanza, many of the better Churrascaria around town will also have a self-serve, All-You-Can-Eat Salad / Side Dishes Bar. Fogo de Chao Beverly Hills’ branch offers the best one we’ve seen Stateside.

Besides being visually stunning, the actual Market Table (All-You-Can-Eat Salad / Side Dishes Bar) has high quality, tasty dishes, not the throwaway stuff seen at far too many Buffets where it’s just stuff meant to fill you up cheaply.

Roasted Artichokes, Mixed Olives with Citrus Herbs, Peppadew Peppers, Marinated Mushrooms, Grilled Asparagus (delicious!), Roasted Zucchini, Roasted Eggplant, Tri-Bean Salada, Seasonal Apple Salad, Citrus Chicken Salad, Brazilian Potato Salad, Quinoa Tabouleh, Smoked Salmon(!), the list goes on.

It is very impressive and the Salads were tasty and fresh (and a necessary counterpoint to the Meat Onslaught you are about to face). :wink:

Feijoada (Brazilian Bean and Meat Stew):

One item that you should not overlook is Fogo de Chao’s Feijoada, which is a Brazilian Stew of Beans and various cuts of meat (usually some Pork Ribs, various Sausages, Beef and more). Having tried a variety of Feijoada across So Cal, it is safe to say Fogo de Chao’s version is excellent! The Black Beans are stewed down to a beautiful consistency, it’s earthy, savory and rich, with the multiple cuts of meat inside as well. Be sure to ask your server for some Farofa (Toasted Cassava Flour) that you sprinkle on top as you eat it, and you have one of the best Feijoada locally! :heart:

PĂŁo de Queijo (Warm Cheese Rolls):

Fogo de Chao starts you off with their Pão de Queijo, served warm-hot, these classic Brazilian “Dinner Rolls” are infused with Cheese and are airy, fluffy and so delicious! :heart:

Bacon Wrapped Chicken:

Excellent. Moist, juicy Grilled Dark Meat Chicken, crisped Bacon on the outside.

Bone-In Beef Ancho (Bone-In Ribeye Steak):

I distinctly remember being only really in love with a few specific cuts of their grilled meats before COVID-19, but on this most recent visit, the Churrascaria experience improved greatly. Take this Bone-In Beef Ancho (or Ribeye Steak):

This was served a juicy medium-rare, perfectly grilled over their open fire, and it was incredibly beefy, moist, and standout! :heart:

Picanha (Prime Part of the Top Sirloin):

My favorite cut at most Brazilian BBQ’s, the Picanha (Prime Part of the Top Sirloin) was again a beautiful medium-rare, even more beefy, luscious, rich than the Ancho, and one of the highlights of the meal! :heart:

Costela de Porco (Pork Ribs):

Fire-Roasted Pork Ribs were lightly smoky, super tender, fall-off-the-bone tenderness. Very good. :blush:

Alcatra (Top Sirloin):

This was fine. Nicely grilled Top Sirloin over charcoal, nicely meaty, but a bit chewy.

Fraldinha (Bottom Sirloin):

The Fraldinha (Bottom Sirloin) was leaner, meatier, not too tough, but just an inherently leaner cut of Beef, so it wasn’t as lush and bursting with flavor as the Ancho or Picanha. Solid, but not my favorite.

Cordeiro (Lamb Picanha, Chops):

Their Grilled Lamb Chops, or Cordeiro, were very good. They give you a Double Lamb Chop per “slice” (instead of slicing a piece of a larger block of meat). Juicy, lightly gamy, nice grilling and medium-rare doneness. :slight_smile:

Bone-In Beef Ancho (Bone-In Ribeye Steak):

The gaucho server stopped by with another large skewer of their Bone-In Beef Ancho (Bone-In Ribeye Steak), so I had to get another slice. It was as beefy, tender and standout as the first piece I had, maybe even a touch juicier and fattier on this cut. :blush:

Costela (Beef Ribs):

• Tip: If you don’t see the cut of meat that you’re waiting for, you can ask a gaucho or a server directly to bring it out.

This was the case for their Costela (Beef Ribs). And you definitely want to ask for that. Not only is it one of their pricier menu items, it is their best menu item. :wink: They bring out a giant rack of Grilled Beef Ribs, and slice off as much as you want.

It was perfectly cooked: Luscious, fatty and lean, moist, tender, succulent, and highlight of the meal! :heart: :heart: (@ipsedixit @BradFord @chienrouge and all.)

Filet Mignon (Tenderloin):

This particular cut was on the medium to medium-well side. (Note: You can ask for doneness and the gaucho will try and cut you a piece to accommodate - we forgot to ask on this one.) True to its inherent nature, the Filet Mignon, even though it was a bit more on the medium-well side was still quite tender, more tender than the other steaks. But it just didn’t sing like the Ancho or Picanha.

Bisteca de Porco (Double Bone-In Pork Chop):

Good. A textbook, nicely grilled Bone-In Pork Chop over charcoal / open fire. Meaty, lean, but tender Pork Chop meat.

They still had quite a few more cuts of meat, but I had to stop at this point. :sweat_smile:

In the end, Fogo de Chao (Beverly Hills) has emerged from the 2020 shutdown with an improved menu, as there were more cuts of meat during the tableside experience that stood out than before COVID-19. The Ancho (Bone-In Ribeye) was beefier and more enjoyable. The Picanha (Prime Part of the Top Sirloin) is still the standout and fatty and lean and just so good! Be sure to ask for their Costela (huge racks of Grilled Beef Ribs) if you don’t see it brought around, and dig into the best item on the menu.

Add in the excellent, All-You-Can-Eat Market Table (quality Salads (multiple types), Grilled Vegetables, Smoked Salmon, Charcuterie and more, and one of the best Feijoada in Southern California, and a lower price for Lunch now, and you have one of the best special occasion Lunches for meat lovers.

Fogo de ChĂŁo Brazilian Steakhouse (Beverly Hills)
133 N. La Cienega Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90211
Tel: (310) 289-7755

15 Likes

Lamb chops all the way. Like to ask for them medium rare or rare etx. They’ll get you the mint jelly if you like I like it. Little sandwiches with the cheesy rolls is really naughty.

Beef ribs also very flavorful I agree.

Lot of “celler defender” types on the offing but I know what I like and focus on that.

Have you tried the new one opened in the Beverly center yet a few blocks up ?

2 Likes

I only go to FdC for the salad bar, never the meats.

And the only reason I go to FdC for the salad bar is because Souplantation shuddered.

1 Like

Funny, there’s another Fogo thread from Westchester!

I love churrascaria once in a way. Of course, one has to be strategic to preserve appetite through the meal! In NYC we have both Fogo and Plataforma - the former has a lunch deal I’ve been meaning to try out but haven’t made it to.

At the salad bar / market table I usually have some smoked salmon and another bite or two of what looks good that day, and then some farofa kept to accompany the meats (instead of the sides served at the table, which are mostly heavy and passable - though I always have room for a pao de queijo - or a few!).

My favorite meats are picanha and the lamb chops, but if I’m hungry enough I’ll partake of other lamb, maybe a rib, and a bit of filet.

Great pics, and nice report @Chowseeker1999https://www.hungryonion.org/t/fogo-de-chao-white-plains/30251

3 Likes

Hi @chienrouge ,

Ooh! They serve you some mint jelly with the Lamb if you ask? I had no idea. :sweat_smile: Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. (And making a Lamb sandwich with the Brazilian cheese rolls… wow! That’s an awesome idea. :slight_smile:

Yah, we love their Beef Ribs.

When you first mentioned “the new one” at the Beverly center, I thought you meant Fogo de Chao opened another branch literally just a few blocks away! :sweat_smile: But checking on that, you meant that new H&H Brazilian restaurant? No, we haven’t. How is it? How does it compare with Fogo? Thanks.

Hi @ipsedixit ,

LOL. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I really do like Fogo de Chao’s Salad Bar. It is pretty impressive. And the fact that they have good Feijoada at the Salad Bar as well makes it stand out even more.

Hi @Saregama ,

Thanks! :slight_smile: Oh, I didn’t realize there was another thread from Westchester area talking about their branch of Fogo, nice. :slight_smile:

I totally agree with you! We also had a nice plate of Farofa (it seems a lot of customers don’t know they can ask the server to bring them some freshly toasted Farofa from the kitchen), and we also use that with the various meats as they arrive tableside.

It sounds like you also like the same cuts I do. Cheers! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What about the brunch?
That looks to have some tasty options.

1 Like

Hi @bbqboy ,

Thanks. Yah I saw that. Strangely in all my years of visiting Fogo, we’ve never made it for Brunch, since it’s Weekends Only. I think we find ourselves there for a special occasion Weekday Lunch or Dinners in general. I’ll have to check that out one of these days. :wink:

1 Like

I’m always tempted by bacon-wrapped anything, though… and usually disappointed. (At the other place they also have bacon-wrapped fillet.)

The ribs always come out after I’m 90% stuffed (not full, stuffed, lol) so it’s a struggle!

I feel like we’ve asked for farofa from the kitchen before, but thanks for that tip!

All this reminds me it has been too long since I have eaten this food!

2 Likes

Hi @Chowseeker1999 havent been to H and H yet. Waiting for your review ! Cheers !

1 Like

Wow lunch is a good deal indeed.

I’ve only been once, think I recollect wishing they would include some offal in the protein selection.

1 Like

Hi @Saregama ,

Thanks! :slight_smile: For the Beef Ribs (Costela), just make a mental note to ask them to bring it out first (or early)! :wink:

Yah, this past visit, like you, after patiently waiting (and enjoying other meats), we were getting pretty full as well, and I realized, “Has anyone seen the Costela (Beef Ribs)?”, so we asked the server to bring it out and they did. Next time, I’m asking them earlier. :laughing:

1 Like

Hi @Sgee ,

Yah. One of the most common ones seen at other Brazilian BBQ is Chicken Hearts (love those!). When we asked our server in the past (and this recent visit as well), they all said the same thing: “Not enough of the local customers like to eat it, so they end up going unsold / uneaten and thrown away.” :frowning: Unfortunate.

I think we saw this with Raku (L.A.): Just a few months before they closed for good, they started removing items that weren’t selling enough (e.g., their amazing Pork Intestine Skewers (and I don’t even like Intestines normally; their awesome Beef Tendon Skewers, etc.). When we asked Raku, it was similar: “Not enough customers order the dishes…” Darn.

1 Like

Bummer. Yeah the intestines, sweetbread, hearts etc adds a great textural contrast. It’s a shame not many diners are into them.

1 Like

Carlitos gardel the Argentinian spot up the road on melrose has sweetbreads and blood sausage.

3 Likes

Cool! Thanks

1 Like

Too funny. My comment is that I entirely skip the salad bar at FdC (as good as it is - and it is good) to save room:

For The Meats.

3 Likes

My friends are still raving about this spot a few blocks north of fogo…i hear better quality and lower price than fogo. Pork ribs, lamb chops and prime beef all mentioned. I have yet to go.

Microsoft Word - DINNER Menu test 1.docx (getbento.com)

2 Likes