May 2022 Openings and Closings [Boston, New England]

What’s happening?

2 Likes

Here in mid-coast Maine it’s that exciting time when seasonal businesses start to reopen. Even better than daffodils blooming!

Hazel’s Takeout in Rockland reopened this week. Up in Smoke BBQ (Rockland) will have a pre-order only, brisket-only soft open this Saturday, May 7, and will fully reopen May 21. Oysterhead Pizza (Damariscotta) reopened after a one month hiatus with new menu items, including bagel breakfast sandwiches and great-looking lunch sandwiches.

4 Likes

Village Grill in Damariscotta reopened for the season under new ownership last week. Mostly the same menu for now which is good news. Stopped by yesterday for a burger - while I can certainly pick some nits (as I can with most burgers) it was a mighty fine burger with generous toppings and I ate more of it than was wise as I was enjoying it so much.

Larson’s Lunch Box in Damariscotta has a sign saying it will reopen later this week Thursday, Friday and Saturday only. My intel tells me it will be operated by the folks at River Grill. Stay tuned.

Still very limited Sunday lunch options in the area.

2 Likes

I’ve been checking in but a little checked out due to an unfortunate convergence of work/mom and dad schtuff/our own schtuff (not bad, but just a lot).

Happy to see that Larson’s did not close for good after all (or maybe I’m not remembering correctly).

Hope everything is OK.

Re: Larson’s Lunch Box, my local reading/intel says the former owners retired and River Grill (a very different sort of establishment) will be operating it this summer. If we are incredibly lucky, River Grill has hired the former owners (lovely folks!) to work there w/o management responsibilities. We’ll see…

1 Like

I’m hearing from people in the neighborhood (but can find no online confirmation) that Sofra might open a branch in the old Formaggio Kitchen space – near the bend in Huron Ave, for those who’ve forgotten), and that Iggy’s might open an outlet next to the new location of FK. Don’t know how reliable the information is, but thought I’d put it out here in case anybody knows anything either way.

3 Likes

Made it to the new version of Larson’s Lunch Box (Damariscotta ME) today. Sadly no former owners but nice new folks. Grabbed a chili dog on this cold and damp day and it really hit the spot. The bun was gorgeously butter griddled. The chili (no beans) topping was reminiscent in a really good way of the topping on the NY-style wienies (aka gaggers) that were a feature of my drunken college days in Rhode Island. They even had celery salt on offer!
Thursday, Friday, Saturday 11-2.

4 Likes

Was passing through Wollaston in Quincy this weekend, and noticed that the papered up space next to the Great Chow on Beale Street is showing signs of life. It will be a P&D vegan Indian Street food place. I found a place in Lowell called P&D Indian Fast Food, and a curious friend in that 'hood called them up and they confirmed for him that it’s the same owners. The Quincy place should open on the 30th, if all goes all scheduled. I’m pretty excited to try this one, when it does!

Address should be 17 Beale St in Quincy.

2 Likes

Elena’s Kitchen in Newton Centre just announced they will be closing on June 5th or 6th. The building’s owner is changing things up, and they are out. Their weird hours often prevented me from eating there often, but I need to get there this weekend to get some of their amazing apricot bars.

1 Like

I’m just getting to this now. That sentence warmed the cockles of this Rhode Islander’s heart. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

In Rhode Island-ese, though, that would be “gaggiz.” All is forgiven, though, because of your correct spelling of “wiener.”

3 Likes

Ok, so this is not going to be May, since it’s the last day of the month. I just got a flyer in the mail today that HMart is coming soon to the Falls in Quincy. I assume this address is where the old Roche Bros was (RIP, Quincy Roche Bros :disappointed_relieved:), and I heard rumors that it was being turned into an HMart.

That’s a good sized space for a market, so I appreciate not having to drive up to Burlington from Quincy when I need the big bags of rice that they only carry in their Burlington location. I still would have liked a Market Basket, but maybe some day…

2 Likes