May 2018, Boston, MA. Openings and closings! (Jeez this is late)

I have seen salsa bars in the Boston area in only two places:

Qdoba…years ago, I didn’t 't return
and there was a “Mexican” place in Central Square, closed long ago, that had one.

picante

If you mean the one that used to be in Central Square, isn’t it now closed and replaced by Shanghai Fresh? (Or is there another, also with a salsa bar?)

the mexican restaurant with the salsa bar in central square (that closed and has been replaced by shanghai fresh) was picante

1 Like

At one point, there was also a Picante in Davis Square, I think. The Central Square one closed later, I think years ago.

Went by the old Fireplace spot on the corner of Washington St and Beacon st this weekend and saw that a new place is now open for brunch, called Porto Maltese. looks like seafood heavy Portuguese/Mediterranean fare. The sign said they are currently open for lunch.
http://portomaltese.com/

2 Likes

Doretta Taverna, Michael Schlow’s place in the old Via Matta spot is closing at the end of this month. Surprising, but not completely, as it was pretty empty the last time we were in there.

1 Like

I’m out of town but a friend posted that Hakata Ramen just opened in Waltham. I’ll have to check it out when I’m back!

Did you really think high end Greek food would work in the high rent district? I couldn’t see that lasting, I do care how good it might have been.
Sorry,
CocoDan

No apology needed, I was not a huge fan, but thought that it might last at least as long as Via Matta did. I found the food good, but wildly overpriced.

If I have the craving for some Greek food I usually go to a Greek friends house. I find it better than most Greek eateries. I do like a good mousaka (sp?).
Enjoy,
CocoDan

I don’t have enough Greek friends! The moussaka at Esperia Grill in Brighton Center is very good, as is their pork gyro (sandwich, or how I like it, on a Greek salad).

Per the Globe, Strip-T’s is lunch-only though June.

1 Like

Menu looks great. Looking forward to reports. No word on the principles behind the effort - is it the original Fireplace owner?

A bit strange that Fireplace closed so soon after deciding NOT to sell the venue to Batali.

Don’t we all! My Israeli SO makes a mean one.

As in through the month of June, or tomorrow June 1st? (I tried googling with no success and am feeling my last chance to have that cauliflower sandwich slip away…)

See this:

Was hoping someone had been in and would clarify, thanks!

No idea. I just happened to be driving by and noticed it. I actually bus by it every day to work, but I’m usually not looking out the windows then.

Oversaltiness was my experience too last fall and early this year, but, at the death, that seems to have been fixed: