Marlboro Diner? Yes the Marlboro NJ Diner

So full disclosure I am not a fan of traditional diner foods & have always been wary of multi page laminated menus.
Prior to this review I did really enjoy Red Velvet Pancakes at Toast in Red Bank & truth be told the only reason I went there is my nutritionist at the time recommended it.
So only because it was too late for me to cook the only meal I have mastered & too early for my lunch & I was driving back from nyc I decided to try it & figured to just get a BLT & some fries.
SURPRISE !!! They had a paper menu with specials that run from 11-3 & one of the spectacular items was Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. One of my favorites.
Perfectly executed light & fluffy & the waitress was older than me & called me honey!!
I returned a few days later no lemon ricotta pancakes but a well executed waffle with kiwi & other assortment of fresh fruit toppings.
Bacon was just okay but the cold brewed coffee was great.
I have lived in this area over 40 years & could probably count on 1 hand my diner experiences but Marlboro Diner just might make a slight change in my early morning meal routine.

7 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure ownership has changed several times over the years when it was first known as, iirc, Youssefā€™s Diner. No idea when it became the Marlboro Diner. The last time we ate there eons ago, I ordered a Reuben. It was the worst ā€” and I mean THE worst! ā€” Reuben Iā€™ve ever encountered. Just on the plate it looked disgusting. That saidā€¦

It sounds as though the current owner has a cook who knows how to cook. Iā€™m glad youā€™ve enjoyed your meals there.

1 Like

You are correct the new owner ( about 2 years?) is the son of the owner of the original Freehold Perkins .BTW the deserts looked outrageous.

3 Likes

NOT being snarky, but this really made me wonderā€¦ a nutritionist recommended pancakes?? Do you remember why you received that rec? Iā€™m not a fan of dessert for breakfast/brunch, and red velvet pancakes are a perfect example of that in my mind.

1 Like

Not Pancakes just the diner for local healthy choices which I obviously ignored

5 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That makes much more sense!

The diet I was on was called FODMAP (google it)
Still on a version of it.
Very restrictive but I cheat & take lots of drugs

2 Likes

The Marlboro Diner is owned by the same family as the (recently closed) Freehold Perkins. Maybe with that closure they are focusing more attention on Marlboro.

2 Likes

Yes as I mentioned previously, also some of the older waitresses are there & are terrific.
Not sure whoā€™s cooking but I have left happy 2x.
Also the place is spotless.

1 Like

Iā€™ve driven by many times. Aesthetically, it doesnā€™t really catch my eye as much as other Route 9 Diners (Seasons, Manalapan) but Iā€™ll be giving them a shot.

We go there occasionally. Iā€™ve had some pretty good meals there - like the grouper special. Anyway - we went there for breakfast a couple weeks ago. They had corned beef hash & since I am particular about my hash I asked the waitress what was in it (I canā€™t stand green peppers, carrots & etc in my hash). She went to find out & returned saying just corned beef & potatoes. She confirmed that it came from scan which is fine with me. I was raised on canned corned beef hash.so I ordered it with poached eggs & rye toast & waited in delicious anticipation. My order arrived, rye toast, a generous serving of hash & two beautiful poached eggs on top. & the whole works covered in hollandaise sauce. [GAG].

Oh well - I didnā€™t ask about that.

4 Likes

Let us know what you think.

1 Like

100 years ago I got great corned beef hash at Tonyā€™s diner in Freehold it was pretty good. Itā€™s got a new owner ( the Chef from Sweet Louā€™s ) who also had pretty good corned beef hash but I havenā€™t been yet.

1 Like

I, OTOH, am a huge diner food fan. Diner Breakfast is my favorite meal to eat out. Iā€™m going to recommend a diner that will give anyone a similar experience-- complete with a waitress that calls you honey:

note the website doesnā€™t have the menu but you can see it on their FB page.

1 Like

Funny guy :+1::+1:

I think you mean the All Seasons Diner, on Route 9 North. Itā€™s actually in Freehold, a bit past the Manalapan border. We have had some pretty decent food there though that was quite a few years ago.

Yes the All Seasons. (I was referring to both that and the Manalapan Diner.)

During the lockdown I broke a 60 hour fast with a fried chicken basket at All Seasons. I want to recommend it as the best restaurant meal you could possibly order, but I think the circumstances of that meal influenced my rating just a bit.

3 Likes

Yeah Iā€™ll probably take the circumstances under consideration lol

1 Like

All Seasons is good but Iā€™ve only 6been there for breakfast.