Mandatory Tipping: What is your thought?

Did it give it some names? Like 10% tipping or 10% donation to charity…etc

I very rarely get bad service and usually tip 20 - 40 % . But if the service is terrible I am only going to leave a 7-10 % tip . It’s a reward for service .

Absolutely 100% correct .

1 Like

It’s a little hard to read, but I found this pic on their Facebook, looks like it says ‘a 10% gratuity charge will be added to each transaction’

Oh my. If you didn’t point it out and I didn’t specifically l looked for it, then I would have missed it.

2 Likes

Between this prior thread: Danny Meyer Abolishes Tipping and this one about adjusting tips based on increased minimum wage for servers: Is it ok to tip less now with the new minimum wage hike? (SFBA), I believe this topic has already been thoroughly exhausted.

4 Likes

A mandatory “tip” is nothing but a price increase.

2 Likes

Was it really described as “mandatory tipping”? That’s BS. Even though it is, in effect, service compris, this is a case where semantics matter.

A tip is, by definition, is “a small present of money given directly to someone for performing a service or menial task; gratuity.” A gratuity is further defined as “a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop.”

If it is a present, or gift, over and above the actual payment due, then it is not/should not be mandatory. Period.

Many places here in the States, where “service included” is not the societal norm, may add an 18% service charge, but make it clear you can ignore it, or add more if you’d like, or . . . or . . . or . . .

Some restaurants which have embraced the newer “no tipping” policy have actually eliminated the line on their credit cards where one would normally put the tip – versus the places which add a “service charge,” and still have a line where you’d put a tip . . . miss the added service charge, and you end up tipping “twice.”

I don’t mind the service charge. I don’t mind paying a little more for the food when there’s a “no tip” policy, so the employees can make a decent, living wage. But as I said above, “mandatory tipping”? What a crock!

2 Likes

Tips for samples?? Honestly.

1 Like

It is just nomenclature/semantics. In both cases, the extra charge has been added. In one case, the extra charge is added to support a so-called fair wage, and it does not show up as a single item. In the other case, the extra charge has been added and called mandatory tip, and it shows up as the final bill.

I actually like the latter approach. Mostly because in the first case, many patrons feel weird about not tipping, so they tip the same % regardless – failing the whole point. In the mandatory tip approach, people feel they have tipped already, so they would either not tip at all or tip at a lower rate. So from an implementation view, I think this will work out better.

I feel the tip goes mostly to the owner and not the server . I hope I am wrong .

THUS . . . .

Some restaurants which have embraced the newer “no tipping” policy have actually eliminated the line on their credit cards where one would normally put the tip – versus the places which add a “service charge,” and still have a line where you’d put a tip . . . miss the added service charge, and you end up tipping “twice.”

I feel the tip goes mostly to the owner and not the server . I hope I am wrong .

This is illegal.

1 Like

The European service compris is 20%. Server makes a living wage with benefits and holidays like everyone else. You then have the option of leaving more euros for great service…or not. It’s called a pourboire, which literally translates to “for drinks”.

I figure I’m leaving 15-20% for an average meal anyway, so tacking on 20% for an average meal is net zero change.

If service is awful, I’m talking to the manager…so no change there, either.

2 Likes

Come to think of it… after Britain has/will leave the Euro, will they still have the service compris.

Since it’s a cultural thing and not an EU directive, I dont know why they wouldnt. The UK isnt really a tipping culture, either.

1 Like

I was in Miami a couple of years ago and everywhere had the standard 15% added to the bottom of the bill. I understood it was because of the negative impact to tips from tourists who don’t really understand/agree with the tipping culture.

As one of those tourists it made life a lot easier for me as it gave mew some degree of confidence I was doing the right thing. If you are not brought up in a tipping culture its a very strange thing to get used to (price stickers that don’t include tax are another).

2 Likes

re: the doughnut shop with the service charge ( picture ).

This is why we end up having very detailed laws about the size of type, placement for announcing prices and service charges and extras.

For example, have you every noticed at gas stations how uniform signs for prices? Very details laws about being able to see the price as you’re driving up so you can decide whether to turn in.

1 Like

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice… you cannot fool me again.

In honesty, fine prints are everywhere… they are so difficult to read… both because of the size of the text, but also the language.

Bed Bath and Beyond coupons have these tiny fine prints… Who read all that?

I do read the fine print, though before cataract surgery it was hard to do. I don’t want a kerfuffle with the sales clerk.

2 Likes