Malt loaf

Last night we watched the first Netflix episode of the latest Great British Baking Show. I’m not ordinarily a sweets person, but they were asked to make a malt loaf which looked like something I would like. There are lots of recipes online, including Prue Leith’s, so that’s not a problem. My question is how to where to find malt extract. It’s available on Amazon, but it’s pricey. Any other suggestions? I’ve never noticed it in a grocery store, but, on the other hand, I never have looked for it. Thoughts? Thanks.

1 Like

Can’t help with a source, I’m afraid. As you might have gathered it’s readily available in British supermarkets (although I suspect most of us just buy the ready made market leader Soreen). My only surprise is how quickly Bake-Off is available on your side of the Atlantic. I think it was only Wednesday when it was broadcast here.

2 Likes

If malt extract is what I think it is, a home brew supply store should have it. Here’s one in Berkeley, CA:

https://oakbarrel.com/brewing-ingredients-additives/malt-extract/

2 Likes

Thanks so much. That looks promising. I just emailed them to ask about it. Will report back.

1 Like

That is speedy. We get a new one every Friday on Netflix. Prevents binge-watching, which is probably a good thing.

3 Likes

King Arthur sells something called diastatic malt powder. Not sure if this is what you’re searching for.

I think what I’m looking for is a liquid, similar to molasses. Thanks though.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. It turns out the kind they carry is the kind I need. Friday field trip!
This one sounds good, but they have a lot more.

Oak Barrel is a local treasure. I have 200 lbs of zinfandel fermenting in my backyard now. I’ve gotten literally thousands of pounds of grapes from them. If you’re not interested in making beer or wine, you might check out their cheese making supplies.

2 Likes

Oh, that would be dangerous. I’ve hardly ever met a cheese I didn’t like…

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I went to Oak Barrel yesterday and got some malt extract so I can give the malt loaf recipe a try. The new owner, Stacey, was so welcoming and helpful. I told her I’d bring her a loaf to try once I’ve mastered it.

I’m glad you made it. I was concerned when I heard that the place had been sold, but Stacey seems to have things under control (except for the smaller variety of grapes this year, which seems to be related to the drought).

2 Likes

I haven’t even gotten the malt loaf into the oven, but I have to say that the malt extract is one of the most unpleasant ingredients I’ve cooked with - sticky, drippy, and difficult to measure. This better be good!

3 Likes

Post-baking update. OMG Malt Loaf - where have you been all my life??? The recipe says to wrap it in paper and let it age a couple of days, but that is going to be very difficult. Definitely worth the malt extract hassle.

4 Likes

Details, please!

1 Like

Does it loosen up in the microwave? When we have to use molasses we microwave it a tiny bit (like 15 seconds) so it’s easier to pour and measure. It generally doesn’t seem to have adverse effects (unless you microwave it so long it cooks whatever you’re mixing it with).

Working with Chinese style maltose (a different ingredient from malt extract) is so thick you pretty much have to heat it up to make it manageable. It’s practically taffy before heating

I just followed this recipe. I figured I should use Prue Leith’s, since she’s one of the judges on the British baking show. The only change I made was using golden raisins instead of the prunes and flame raisins , dark molasses instead of treacle, and dark brown sugar because that was what I had. It reminds me of a distant cousin of gingerbread.

2 Likes

I should have tried that!

Report back if it helps! …or if it’s a complete disaster

Watching the malt loaf episode. Husband keeps yelling “bun”! Which here reminds me is served with cheese. Sheesh! Colony people. Shrugs

1 Like