Machu Chicken [Union Sq., Somerville, MA]

Had dinner here last night for the first time in a long time, no idea why I waited so long other than it’s kind of a schlep. Their chicken is really tasty, as are the two dipping sauces: a yellow, mild one and a pale green spicy one that is my favorite – I could drink it. They do a steady takeout business and I can see why: whole chicken without sides is $18, half chicken with two sides is $13. At the risk of being accused of heresy I would say their chicken is as good as Branch Line’s and about half the price. OK, the ambience is also about half but sometimes it’s just about the food. Some other Peruvian chicken places mentioned in the attached thread.

3 Likes

We are big fans of Machu Chicken as well and often pick it up for an easy family take out dinner. It is a good value and the people that work there are great. I could drink that sauce as well!

Another newish option in that vein is Kirkland which is now doing chicken dinners for takeout Sun-Thu every week. For $25 you get a whole bbq chicken, 2 sides and bread. The birds are very large, and the entire meal is enough to feed 2 adults and 2 kids. Another great example of Kirkland striving to serve the neighborhood.

1 Like

Great to know about!

I have not had the Kirkland chicken yet (nor Machu, which has been on my radar), but I thought it worth mentioning that Kirkland varies its style every week. Last week it was

KANSAS CITY-STYLE BBQ SPICE RUB
SERVED WITH:
SALSA VERDE
BROWN RICE SALAD
KALE, APPLES, WALNUTS, FOURME D’AMBERT
IGGYS BREAD

This week, it’s

MOROCCAN SPICE RUB
SERVED WITH:
SALSA VERDE
COUSCOUS WITH OLIVES AND CAPERS
GRILLED GREENS
IGGYS BREAD

Sorry for the hyper-excited all-caps. I copied and pasted from their newsletter. By the way, you need to order these ahead, then pick up after 5.

1 Like

I had lunch there again recently as well and I agree with @GretchenS about Machu versus Branch line. 1/4 dark with fries was $7 at lunch and it was an excellent lunch.

I must say, The Kirkland could do a better job marketing their chicken. Maybe I just missed it, but I couldn’t find much about it on the website, and just saw a few photos on the facebook page. I signed up for the newsletter, so hopefully that will make things clearer.

Thanks for the info.

@Ferrari328, I think it was that post on your blog that prompted me to go yesterday so now we are full circle.

we had the Machu chicken in the restaurant once and loved it. It’s a lot cheaper and closer than Branch Line for us, and less salty. Loved the sauces.

So I needed the reminder to try it again. I made the mistake of getting a glass of red wine. It was beyond awful and gone, dead years ago. I wish they would have some good wine since when the adults here get out of the house (we have a special needs teen), we like a glass of wine. But getting it for pick up would be very good.

I know I could call/contact them, but those of you who have tried pick up take out and have the actual experience, how far in advance do you need to call?

thanks for these posts!

1 Like