MA Pike to around Springfield, MA

Over the next year give or take, I am going to be heading out towards Springfield several times and was wondering if there were any recommendations for gourmet shops, casual, takeout places, etc. Recs preferred for the general Springfield area as well as along the MA pike starting passed Framingham. Thanks.

B.T.'s Smokehouse in Sturbridge for the best BBQ I have had in MA.

5 Likes

@uni beat me to it so I can only second B.T’s.

West Springfield has the old school classic that is White Hut for hamburgers.

1 Like

my husband goes out to springfield for work 2 or 3 times a year - he always goes here: https://chefwaynes-bigmamou.com. said it’s not in the best part of town but he likes the food alot and it’s something different! enjoy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you. It does look interesting.

A few months ago, I tried BTs and was disappointed. I got a beef rib and thought it just tasted like smoke. Too much smoke hid any flavor of the meat.

I don’t know why I didn’t know that. It just go put at the top of my list. Thanks.

Another great stop off is the Tree House Brewery in Charlton. While it’s not specifically food related, they do often have food trucks and are making pizzas from their wood fired oven on the weekends. Even if you’re not a beer person, anyone in your life who is will deeply appreciate you stocking in some of the best beer around for them.

3 Likes

I’ll check it out. Thanks.

I really love Donut Dip in West Springfield. It’s just south of the Pike on Route 5 (northbound, you have to make a u-turn to get to it). It’s a throw-back. It dates back to the 50’s. The donuts are a bargain (a dozen was less than $9 the last time I was there a year or so ago). My personal favorites are the chocolate cream and the sour cream. I live over two hours away but have seriously considered driving there just for a donut fix.

4 Likes

The Student Prince is a German restaurant in Springfield that dates back to the 1930s. A few years ago, I think it was taken over by new owners (if I remember correctly) and I haven’t been there since it was renovated so I can’t give an accurate review. It has been an institution in Springfield for decades, however, and may well be worth a visit.

5 Likes

What are the lines there like these days. Good times to go?

I only go occasionally, but I’d say the best time to go in terms of getting in and out is mid to late afternoon Wed or Thu. The brewery opens at noon and there is usually a queue of customers that arrive up to an hour before opening. Even with that, unless there is some special release, you can get out in less than an hour after they open. I find that that initial rush gets digested by the efficient staff and if you show up at say 2p, you can get in and out rather quickly. Since they release different beers on a rolling basis throughout the day and have many great offerings, it’s not like they have one good beer which will be sold out. I never want to push it too late though, as then I will have to fight the traffic back into Boston.

3 Likes

Thanks. What are they known for on their menu?

Good to know. Thanks.

Absolutely try the White Hut if you can. Grilled onions on the cheeseburger are a must and the hot dogs are great too

2 Likes

Springfield has some good Vietnamese restaurants in the same neck of the woods: on Dickinson Street there is Vinh Chau and Pho Saigon and around the corner on Belmont there is Bamboo House and Trung Nguyen.

Cedars Food Mart on Armory Street is a great Lebanese grill and market.

3 Likes