What's for Lunch 2015 - 2016

Many happy returns … Great choice for a movie and what a fun tradition

1 Like

Prosciutto con meloni:

2 Likes

Beer in the Middle Ages was darker, cloudy (unfiltered) and did not always involve hops.

The wort was cooked to release the sugars, so it was safer than drinking water. Food was salted, so people drank a lot of beer. Martin Luther drank up to 6 liters a day, which was somewhat typical.

Up until about 1500, beers did include various other spices (like Belgian beers today) but gradually hops took precedence as it helped to better preserve the beer.

Hence the Reinheitsgebot:

Pilsener Beer, (Pilz or Lager), which is the lighter, filtered and heavily hopped beer that most people drink today, was first invented in the 1800’s in Bohemia:

This lighter style has become so famous and popular that it now dominates world wide, even in England where it outsells the indigenous bottom fermented ales more than three to one.

In Sweden & Denmark in the middle ages beer was brewed in individual batches in a large bowl (skål) which is why people use this word as a toast (it used to be more of a demand, because you were asking for the bowl so you could take a drink).

1 Like

Happy birfday, Presunto/PataNegra :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, all.

Pic from last new year in Forchheim, Bavaria. No sparkling wine but lots of heavy dark beer I brought with me from Miltenberg where I spent Christmas.

VikingK, love Czech beer, am still waiting for the smoking ban.

1 Like

Happy birthday and new year!!

1 Like

Festive and luscious.

Nice, where do you find good melons now? We ate this a lot in summer!

In our regular grocery store, it was on sale before Christmas for $ 2.99 per melon.

They ship them green from California so you have to let them ripen for 10 days before you can eat them. Otherwise it’s like eating green wood.

Pork soup.

My last freshwater fish (chose zander for its non swampy-tasting flesh).

1 Like

Too late to edit to add… have been meaning to show you my lodging in Tokaj. It’s also a wine tasting shop, approved by officials (plaque seen on left, see last pic). My room is directly to the right.

Still has shriveled grapes on twigs.

Wines sold in big plastic bottles are normal and many come directly from the growers themselves. I’ve tried a couple and they were actually not an abomination.

Official approval

1 Like

I am enjoying Hungarian charcuterie. There’s wintersports on a German channel so it’s perfect for being lazy and not making warm lunches. My 25L daypack as a carry-on was filled with charcuterie. I almost couldn’t close it. Everything is hard and nothing was damaged.

Here are a few. Everything tastes so good, especially the pure Mangalica fat.

Hungarian grey cattle. Has a unique taste and smell, unlike Argentinian or any other beef. Even harder to find than anything Mangalica. Not to mention expensive.

The wooly pig.

Very garlicky and a bit spicy, and rich. This one I can get from the Hungarian stall at the market.

Hungarians are master smokers!

Just a very thin slice on your bread is all you need. I rolled my eyes back in my head as I ate this! The partner just laughed.

3 weeks ago, before leaving for my holiday I made a new batch of salt-cured yolks.

Salt removed and being dried.

Pasta with salt-cured yolks and Speck/smoked bacon. Lots of minced onions and garlic as well.

The plate

3 Likes

:+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

OMG, I want allllllll of that. But mostly the smoked goose breast and that sexy pasta dish.

1 Like

That’s a lot, you could eat several months! I recently heard that EU wants to pass a law, no more charcuterie allowed on plane…

A snapper for lunch, with fennel seeds, egg plants cooked with red onion and mint. Ozzy camembert followed.

2 Likes

Nooooooooooooooooo!!! You must have heard it wrong :rage:

Btw, there’s a new lunch thread. You could repost your lovely lunch over there.

You are right about the new thread, I have post there too.

Well well… memory lost, so let’s go there.

I hope it is not too late to answer, just stumbled unto this site
I love Mangalica ( mangalitsa Ham)
At $450, may I suggest you try the Ham from Johnston’s Country Ham( not related to me) for their reserve Mangalitsa Ham?
I answered March 2017 about their ham and their ham holder
Here is an excerpt so you do not have to look for it , in case u are still interested

I had my son buy a hard wood ham holder with swivel grip from Barcelona,( similar to the one that is over $1000 from La Tienda, Hard Wood, swivel grip so I can turn the ham without removing it ) , could not afford a whole black hoof iberico ham ( out of my league although enjoyed buying a few slices from La Tienda every once in a while prior to 2012c) .Johnston’s Country Ham carries a whole reserved Mangalitsa ham for about $275. It is almost as good as the Iberica Pata negra, ,served thinly sliced with good bread, roasted garlic and squeezed juice from campari tomatoes, bottle of wine. Would love to try Mangalitsa pork chop one of these days. I found out that there was a blind study made between Johnston’s Putnam raised Mangalitsa Ham and the Pata negra as well as Serrano Ham. It was better than the Serrano, almost par with the pata negra.

This Ham holder from D’Artagnan probably will not hold up. Rufus Brown, Curemaster from Johnston told me he purchased one for over $100, was very disappointed.
Of course, the ones from La Tienda for over $1000 is way too expensive but you can buy one of these great hard wood holder with the swivel grip directly from Spain for around $500 ( so you do not have to turn the ham) . Only problem is that I would not mind buying a smaller ham for my son and me ( without having a party) but without the hoof, the ham will not fit in the holder,

With that, you will have to by a Michelangelo .es knife from Spain. I was able to find one locally for ?$200( not sure, it was 6 years ago ) with a ham pincher( lift a thin slice of ham perfectly unto your bread from same company that makes the knife) It really slices every piece of ham perfectly as thin as you want it. http://www.michelangelo.es/english_version.html If you do purchase, be sure you specify right or left handed knife. Cannot find it here in the US. It retails for around $162 in UK but they will not ship to US. I was lucky to find one here as it is not easy to bring that from Europe as it may get confiscated.

The Johnston Ham is perfect for Christmas or Thanksgiving as left over can stay on the counter for some time.
We had a lot of left overs, esp fat since my son does not ant me to cook with Mangalitsa fat ( although it has been proven to be safe 0< so, I packaged the and gave them to friends and neighbors who swears how good they were.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Lunch 2019